Possibly Twisted Something Inside HD Bay

Reaction score
Hi, I have one of the first MacBooks. My hard drive started making a clanging noise, and lo and behold, no longer worked. Disk Utility couldn't even tell it was there. I got another one, and went to install it. At the very end I found that the new drive would not go the last centimeter into the bay. With a flashlight I can see that there is a slight bend in the metal on the right side of the back of the bay. Also, the new drive I got has four prongs to the right of the flat pins where my old one just has an empty hole.

Should I try and remove the casing (and if so, can you recommend a guide) and explore the bend? Is it something else?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB
sounds me me that you bought the wrong hard drive.

post the model of the macbook and the hard drive you bought.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your MacBook takes a SATA drive of 2.5". Sounds like the drive you bought is an ATA model. I agree with jr, you probably purchased the wrong drive.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Also on the Macbook' inside the hard drive bay on each side are pieces of rubber installed a lot of times that rubber will come off,Can get pushed down in toward the connectors.

OP
N
Reaction score
it was the piece of rubber blocking the port. hard drive's in and working. thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.