ipod scratches

E

eceon

anybody else notice that the new ipods scratch very easily?

i noticed a few on my brand new ipod, and now i am extremely careful with mine. i mean, it's not all that bad, but one scratch is more than i need.

also, can someone tell me if i can purchase another casing for the ipod from apple? if so, price? tnx :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I went through the "OMG, it's scratched!" phase... But you gotta realize, sure it looks cool, and it costs a lot of money, but the functionality is what you buy. It still looks cool with scratches, and sure as **** works with scratches, so I have given up on the "it's my baby" attitude. Not saying that you are in this mode of thought, but that's what I went through.

Like trpnmonkey41 said, hit up http://www.ipodlounge.com for TONS and TONS of iPod info....

OP
E

eceon

lol emrys..

yr right. and, i did buy a case for it.. i am still a bit anal about the ipod though. great product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the best is when you see a scratch and think that if you lick a finger and rub it will go away phase

OP
R

rlowenberg

ok, you guys are craaaaaaazy - how can you say that you're not paying for the look of the ipod? It's CA$600!!!! Look at it! Of course you're paying for looks! It's a beautiful machine, looks is obviously a major factor! My cellphone has been dropped multiple times, is 2 years old and has no scratches. My iPod was significantly scratched 3 days after I bought it and it's never been dropped, the scratches were made by the f**king headphones that came with it!!!! 2 cents worth of plastic man, that's all it takes, in a $600 product!!! The remote broke one week after I bought it too, and it had never been mistreated. This looks to me like design taking precedence over practicality in stupid ways. Apple should shape up man, iPod is a shoddy product in too many ways.

BUT

On the brighter side, I found a product to remove scratches and it worked - it's called ice cream, and I bought it at www.radtech.us. It didn't remove everything, but it's definitely a lot better.

APPLE SHAPE UP AND STOP LEAVING IN STUPID DESIGN FLAWS JUST TO SAVE 2 CENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if the iPod was really a shoddy product it wouldn't be outselling all of the competition. These design flaws that you speak of are actually what make it more money. they could have easily used a plastic backing but metal is stronger and looks nicer.

Most people don't buy the iPod because it looks cool. Most people buy it because it works better than any other mp3 player on the market with the best storage to size ratio

OP
R

rlowenberg

I'm not talking about the metal back, although that scratches very easily too - I'm talking about the plastic screen, 2 cents per unit more and it wouldn't scratch. Shoddy product. And the idea that looks isn't a factor when people buy the iPod is absurd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rlowenberg said:
And the idea that looks isn't a factor when people buy the iPod is absurd.

Oh so I am guessing that you speak for the over 1 million people who have purchased the iPod.

Most people don't buy it for the looks. Most buy it because it works better than any other mp3 player

OP
R

rlowenberg

I imagine I speak for the 1 million people just as much as you do buddy! Apple has an unproprotionally high number of visual artists in their consumer base. They cater to visually orientated people. People who buy for looks!

Stop fooling yourself!

OP
D

DonkeyNutz

Last week I was goin thru the"oh my god I just bought this how the **** could there be a scratch allready ohmygod I wonder if my warranty covers this" phase but now I'm ok.

DonkeyNuyz

OP
R

rlowenberg

the ice cream stuff worked for me, the scratches are barely visible now. Still, I spend $40 instead of Apple spending 2 cents. Grrrr.

OP
R

Ripcurl

rlowenberg- my dads 80g Lexus........rock chips and scratches......you dont see him crying, give it up, it wear and tear.

I've got scratches on mine, who care it still works, my dad actually dropped it 4 feet onto ceramic tile(missed his pocket), didnt even crack.....a slight scratch on the metal side, and its still works like new.

OP
R

rlowenberg

wear and tear? 3 days of just being in a pocket??? It's attitudes like yours that let Apple get away with that stuff, it's totally substandard man, stop fooling yourself just so you can feel better about having spent loads of cash on something that can't even withstand the headphones it comes with without scratching!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rlowenberg said:
wear and tear? 3 days of just being in a pocket??? It's attitudes like yours that let Apple get away with that stuff, it's totally substandard man, stop fooling yourself just so you can feel better about having spent loads of cash on something that can't even withstand the headphones it comes with without scratching!

rlwoenberg all that you do on this forum is post your negative feelings about the iPod and the way that apple spends there money. Nobody on here is going to agree with you so you might as well just stop complaining about miniscule scratches on the iPod

OP
K

kjellquist

rlowenberg...if your biggest gripe about the iPod is the poor plastic used the you have a pretty weak argument. In 30 secs of messing with a friends Nomad last night I found about a dozen things I didn't like. After two weeks of endless use with the iPod the scratches are my only complaint. And btw you wasted your money on the ice Cream....Brasso does the same thing and it's only a few bucks.

OP
S

Snoop Dogg

Without hesitation I believe the Ipod is the finest MP3 player on the market. Yet, like everything, it still has yet room to improve. After paying over 300 dollars. It's hard to see "your baby" getting scratches, and i think Mac should put into consideration different materials to construct the Ipod. My friends and I joke about how "air even scratches Ipod's" they are so fragile. So if this 2 cent statistic is true about making the screens more durable, then i greatly support it. as superficial as it may sound. It's visual appearance has a great importance to me. so i dont want to be cheated out of enjoying that because of a scratch after a week of purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Snoop Dogg the 2 cent statitistic is an exaggeration for that guy to show his anger.

You will eventually realize that it doesnt scratch that much. I have had mine for 5 months now and you definitely get passed the phase oh no it scratched i cant believe it

OP
P

PC HATER

For me , the ipod has been a dream to own, or a even a previlege. Everyone goes through the scrach phase. It is going to happen, ya cant get over it. Otherwise the ipod is amazing and does not deserve to be called shoddy or any other name. It is a great product, and a scrach is just a mediocre problem. Think about all the problems the other ones have had. There is not even a forum for help,because I would say the ipod is your benz and that dell jukebox is like a kia rio. you cant compare it to any other player ITS THE BEST.

OP
V

varpunk

I am studying product design at uni and i have to say i am sure that the ipods looks are a huge factore. otherwise apple wouldn't be paying out millons to desiners to design the way it looks and the materials its made of. you only have to look at other companys such as pacard bell with their cheep design ripoffs of apple computers to see that design matters. Having said that the ipods function shouldn't go unmissed as they make it what it is. and the ipod is a DESIGN CLASSIC !!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.