Wireless Keyboard - is it ON or OFF?

Reaction score
I have a new (only second day) iMAC 24 (8MB/1TB) ....

QUESTION: When I use the Finder>>Shut down....does that also turn off the wireless keyboard? It seems almost impossible to tell since pushing the power-button on keyboard gives the same feedback each time - a green light. Maybe a red-light for off would have been more user-friendly IAW "Tog" ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The keyboard green light is always on. Will be that way unless you remove the batteries.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
There's a power button on the Bluetooth keyboards? Why didn't somebody tell me this? I absolutely miss the power key on the old keyboards!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The "power" button on the keyboard affects the keyboard only. It does not power up the system like the keyboard on our LC II did. i miss that as well.

@Jellytoes
The Apple keyboards automatically go into a low power mode when not in use and "wake up" when not in use. Apple does recommend that you power down the keyboard down if it won't be used for a few days. Press the power button for three seconds. Apple Wireless Keyboard: How to store your keyboard when it's not in use

When I first started using my Aluminum Wireless keyboard I turn it off at the end of the day when I shut the system down. I eventually stopped doing that because the next morning I'd forget to turn it on then wonder why things weren't working. Besides the extra little bit I might have gained in battery lige wasn't worth the hassle. I get pretty good battery life by simply letting the keyboard manage itself.

OP
J
Reaction score
The "power" button on the keyboard affects the keyboard only. It does not power up the system like the keyboard on our LC II did. i miss that as well.

@Jellytoes
The Apple keyboards automatically go into a low power mode when not in use and "wake up" when not in use. Apple does recommend that you power down the keyboard down if it won't be used for a few days. Press the power button for three seconds. Apple Wireless Keyboard: How to store your keyboard when it's not in use

When I first started using my Aluminum Wireless keyboard I turn it off at the end of the day when I shut the system down. I eventually stopped doing that because the next morning I'd forget to turn it on then wonder why things weren't working. Besides the extra little bit I might have gained in battery lige wasn't worth the hassle. I get pretty good battery life by simply letting the keyboard manage itself.

Sounds good....maybe use the upgrade Ultimate Lithium batteries as in my camera?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have veen using some Duracell rechargeable batteries and charger that I purchased at big box retailer but readily available everywhere. They seem to hold up well. I think I usually go several weeks without a recharge even though the keyboard is in use several hours a day. When needed I put the the batteries in the charger overnight after shutting the computer down.

I do keep a set of regular batteries around in case I forget to charge and the batteries go down during a marathon computing session.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The keyboard green light is always on. Will be that way unless you remove the batteries.

Regards.
You must have a different model than mine. The green light only comes on when I push the power button (both to turn it on and off).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.