iMac 27" Video Input ( use iMac as Monitor/Display )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Quad Core Intel Based
i've recently bought an iMac 27" intel base, and with it i bought a mini displayport to dvi adapter. i have been told that i am somehow able to put video input into the iMac to use it as a display. however when i tried to use the iMac for a display for my Xbox 360, nothing happened.

My setup is:
Xbox 360 -> HDMi to DVI Cable -> DVI to mini displayport adapter -> iMac 27"

on the apple website, in the tech specs of the iMac, it says that on the 27" versions i can use the Mini Displayport to put input into the iMac to use it as a display.
The setup previously mentioned does work, but with output; i have connected the HDMi end to my TV and i am able to use the TV as an extra display for the iMac.

Can someone please tell me how i can get the Video Input to display on the iMac screen. Preferably with the Previously mentioned setup, I'm not too keen on buying more stuff.

Thank you

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It can't be done without buying more stuff.

The mini displayport to DVI adapter is just that. It is a one way adapter. It is not a DVI to mini displayport adapter.

At least 2 companies are working on HDMI to mini displayport adapters/cables - Apogee and Kanex. Have not searched for them recently, so I don't know if they're out yet or not.

The input port on the iMac was designed by Apple for use as a 2nd screen for the MacBook or MacBook Pro and their mini displayport.

It has been up to 3rd party developers for everything else thus far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
They are out but for an almost not worth it at all price of $150

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have found a possible 'cheap' solution
http://kanexlive.com/products/item.aspx?id=3142
im not sure if it will work like the other kanex product;
Kanex XD For Apple iMac 27" - Play Blu-Ray DVD PS3 Xbox 360 Elite
if anyone knows can you please help.
And i also found;
Belkin Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort 1.5M Cable - Apple Store (U.K.)
there could be some kind of adaptor to get this to DVI or HDMi, i know this works with Mac to Mac because on this page;
Using a 27-inch iMac as an external display it talks about using 'target display mode' with Mac to Mac video.
but please if anyone can offer any kind of solution please don't be afraid to say, i really don't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for one adaptor so i can use my iMac for more than just of Mac OS.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The first one you have there - you need to read the Features... It is a mini displayport TO HDMI... It is not a HDMI to mini displayport. It is no different than the same adapter from Apple.

The second one is the one you need at $150 as T_O_P12 has pointed out.
This or the similar one if Apogee has theirs out now are the only current adapters that will work.
I have not heard anything from monoprice as to whether they are working on one or not. If theyare, they will likely become the 'go to' company for an adapter.

The 3rd one is the cable you will need to connect between the above adapter and your iMac or between your iMac and another mini displayport equipped device such as the current MB and MBP.

There is no "cheap" solution at this time.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
:'(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.