Mac os Boot disk from PC backup image?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I bought a mac and stupidily restarted it. Now its stuck boot with the finder icon flashing question mark.

I dont have the boot disk. My friend copied the superimage from his pc, when i put it in and try to boot, it doesnt register the software on the disk.

Can you burn the image to dvd from a pc and then run it in the mac?

i also tried copying it to a external HD and it says the file it too big for the destination - even though it has 30 gb, i also tried an 8gb flash and the same issue.

Anyway around this?

its a powerbook g4 with 10.5.8 on

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The best way around it is to get a legitimate copy of Tiger or Leopard.

Best bet is to call Apple. I've heard you can still get Leopard with a phone call to them. You may also be able to get a copy of the original discs that shipped with the machine for much cheaper.

Next is going to be Amazon or ebay - neither of which are cheap.

When you're looking you need the black retail discs... do not get the gray discs, those shipped with individual systems and they will not work on your G4.

OP
P
Reaction score
bummer - my friend has the grey one ;(

looks like il have to ebay it

thanks for your help

OP
P
Reaction score
is it not possible to use mediafour to burn the superimage of leopard to disk and do it that way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Hmmmm .... with all due respect ... get a legitimate copy.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
P
Reaction score
mcbie - dont jump to conclusion mate! i didnt have the original copy, now do and because my drive cant read DL i have to do it another way

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
bummer - my friend has the grey one ;(

looks like il have to ebay it

thanks for your help

He didn't have to jump too far since in that post you admitted to attempting to use someone else's disc and to not having your own copy.

I believe this thread has probably gone far enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.