Trying to decide, need help. iMac or MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 3.06Ghz, 4MB Ram, 1TB HDD
I've been pulling my hair out for the last two weeks trying to decide what to get. I don't think I've thought this hard about anything in a long time! Anyway, right now I have a 2006-era? IBM Thinkpad T43 laptop, its at the point now where basically its reaching the end of its life, and I've decided to move to a Mac.
At first I thought, the obvious thing to do would be to replace a laptop with another laptop. So I looked at the MBP with the 15" screen, the base model 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram and 250GD HD. Now, that's a nice machine, no doubt about it, and would be a huge upgrade from my Thinkpad. But then I seen the 27" iMac :D
For the same price as the base model 15" MBP, I can get a 27" iMac 3.06Ghz, 4GB ram, and 1TB HD. But, then I go online and start reading about people having all kinds of problems from the iMac? Is their any truth to that? I also heard that the screen is too sharp, causing you to strain your eyes? And everything is so small on it that you have to sit very close to it, despite the size of the screen?

Anyway, the reason I was considering the iMac was because I don't really need the mobility of a laptop. My Thinkpad never really moves from the table in my basement. But I still like the laptop, it will do the same thing as an iMac, but if I ever needed to take it anywhere, I could.

So there you have it, I'm completely dazed and confused on what to buy. I know ultimately the decision will be mine to make, but I would love to hear some opinions.

C

chas_m

But, then I go online and start reading about people having all kinds of problems from the iMac? Is their any truth to that?

A few people (I don't know the exact number, but it's likely to be some fraction of some fraction of 1% of iMac sales this quarter) have had issues with the screen on the 27" iMac. Things like this often happen on new editions of a lot of mass-produced products, you get a bad production run that slips by QC and the problem shows up later.

Apple has already taken steps to correct the problem and your chances of receiving a defective one is now near zero. But even if you DID get one, Apple would replace it free of charge, so the risk is really down to "silly to worry about it" level.

I also heard that the screen is too sharp, causing you to strain your eyes? And everything is so small on it that you have to sit very close to it, despite the size of the screen?

At first I scoffed when I read this (yes, scoffed!), but then I remembered that different people have different vision and that this COULD be a concern for some. The screen is big, but yes the resolution is high. It's not difficult to adjust most icons, fonts etc on the mac screen to be big enough for even vision-impaired people to read, but still, YOU'RE the one who has to look at this thing all day, so if you have any concerns you should probably head to your nearest Mac dealer and have a look at a 27" iMac in person to judge for yourself. You know your vision better than anyone, though I should add that anyone with correctable vision should have no issue with the resolution on a 27" iMac.

Anyway, the reason I was considering the iMac was because I don't really need the mobility of a laptop. My Thinkpad never really moves from the table in my basement. But I still like the laptop, it will do the same thing as an iMac, but if I ever needed to take it anywhere, I could.

Sounds like you should get the iMac, and then perhaps at some later point pick up an iPad for relaxing on the couch or portable use. :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If your machine never moves from the desk, get the iMac. Get everything copied to it that you need from the Thinkpad, then blow it away and do a fresh install of the OS. It'll work same as when you bought it unless it's having hardware issues and provide you with portability if/when you need it.

On the other hand, I have not had to sit at the desk in my office here at home now for over 2 years. The MBP sits by the side of my recliner and no need to be at the opposite end of the house from the spouse just because I want to do something on the 'puter while someone's watching a Lifetime Network movie... yet again.

edit:

Sounds like you should get the iMac, and then perhaps at some later point pick up an iPad for relaxing on the couch or portable use. :)

gotta hand it to you chas: There's a great idea right there

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 3.06Ghz, 4MB Ram, 1TB HDD
I decided to just pick something a go with it. I went to Future Shop and they had the iMac in stock but not the MBP. So, here I am typing this behind my brand firing new 27" iMac. What an awesome machine. :)

Thanks for your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Enjoy the new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature.
Congrats on the move! Those are great machines, although I don't have the honor of using one on a regular basis. A good friend of mine has one, and he is always bragging about how much better his is than my old Powermac G4. Anyway, enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I've been pulling my hair out for the last two weeks trying to decide what to get. I don't think I've thought this hard about anything in a long time! Anyway, right now I have a 2006-era? IBM Thinkpad T43 laptop, its at the point now where basically its reaching the end of its life, and I've decided to move to a Mac.
At first I thought, the obvious thing to do would be to replace a laptop with another laptop. So I looked at the MBP with the 15" screen, the base model 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram and 250GD HD. Now, that's a nice machine, no doubt about it, and would be a huge upgrade from my Thinkpad. But then I seen the 27" iMac :D
For the same price as the base model 15" MBP, I can get a 27" iMac 3.06Ghz, 4GB ram, and 1TB HD. But, then I go online and start reading about people having all kinds of problems from the iMac? Is their any truth to that? I also heard that the screen is too sharp, causing you to strain your eyes? And everything is so small on it that you have to sit very close to it, despite the size of the screen?

So there you have it, I'm completely dazed and confused on what to buy. I know ultimately the decision will be mine to make, but I would love to hear some opinions.

Yes, there were issues with jaundiced screens. No, these issues are no longer relevant. Apple has acknowledged the mistake, said it will be covered under warranty/apple care, and the production issue seems to have been fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

O rry? And which one of us here on Mac forums was screaming at all the naysayers, "how do you maroons not see the value in this?! AHHHHHH!!! COUCH SURFING IN YOUR HAND BUT WITH A READABLE SCREEEEENNNN!!!!"

Good solution though, chas. :) This is exactly the kind of set up we will have, of course I'll have my MB still, but yes. iMac in every room. Network storage... excellent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
I decided to just pick something a go with it. I went to Future Shop and they had the iMac in stock but not the MBP. So, here I am typing this behind my brand firing new 27" iMac. What an awesome machine. :)

Thanks for your advice.

I know this is a day or so late but did just what you were trying to avoid. I bought a MBP and though it was an awesome machine I didn't need the mobility and the screen size was an issue for me. I ended up selling it at a loss and buying the imac... I'm very happy with the imac... Mainly the screen size. Remember if you need the words bigger just command+ and make what you want...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.