• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problem returning clip from Motion to FCP

Reaction score
Hello all-
I'm making a documentary, offline editing in FCP (6 with all updates), from the timeline I have selected a clip, then I 'send to Motion' (motion 3) to add some behaviours. looks great, save it in motion, tab back to FCP, there's my edited mtn clip, looks fine all new edits in place, but unrendered.

Now the problems starts, it take a looooong time to render, and when it is finally done, the clip is black. sound is still there, and the subtitles that are laid over the top of the clip within FCP are also there. but the clip itself - is just a black screen.

The behaviours added in motion are fairly simple, one clip is just a slow motion filter, with motion blur rather than the blending in FCP, another is a map file with an arrow drawn on to show a route (this clip has no subtitles laid over the top in FCP).
please, any advice? as always, the deadline is looming and I'm stressed!

OP
M
Reaction score
just a quick update - I haven't found a solution to this yet, but just in case anyone comes across this thread with the same problem, I did manage to get round it by exporting a movie file from motion, then importing the movie file as a clip directly into the timeline. if you have to do further editing later on, its a bit of a pain because you have to re-export it, re-import it, render it....
but, at least it gets you your clip...

OP
M
Reaction score
solution?

another update! the problem was that my little mac-notebook did not have enough capacity to render in best quality in Motion for the 1920:1080 format I was working in. so it downsized to 1440:1080.
when I then went back into Final Cut, where the render was automatically to 'best' quality (go to preferences, render control, and see if the box is ticked)
the motion tracks were just going to black because they could not render at best quality.

so - if you have the same problem, you can either render to 'normal' or buy a better machine....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.