My Battery just blew up

B.T

Reaction score
Hey all, I'd been having some issues with my computer shutting down the last few days when it wasn't on charge. Even though it was nearly fully charged after a couple of minutes it would turn off. I took my casing off last night and lo and behold the battery had popped up and was half hanging out. Heres a pic of it after I removed it

24cfv36.png

The people at the apple store here in Bali seemed lost at first then said it was due to over charging. My brother said its defected.

Is this something that happens often? Is it covered by warranty? The Apple people here said that batteries are not covered but my parents who live in Australia have had their battery replaced twice under warranty because it wasn't keeping its charge. Any help would be appreciated

C

chas_m

"overcharging" -- what a load of bollocks!!

Your brother (who said it was defective actually) is right. Contact the Australian Apple Store your parents use and show them your photo. If the computer is covered by warranty then so is the battery (as its part of the computer). You should also write Apple a note telling them of the shocking incompetence of the Bali store (you're sure they're not an independent reseller?), that's truly shameful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It is covered, and there is no such thing as overcharging with these batteries.
Ring Apple on their online number, and get it sorted.
Whoever you spoke to at the Apple store was making it up as they were going along!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
chas_m beat me to it :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Batteries that die under normal use are typically not covered under warranty.

A battery that blows up, that's not regular use, that's a defective battery and that should be covered by the warranty. If you get no satisfaction from the local Apple store, you need to pick up the phone and call Apple.

As to overcharging; the power supply is Apples's, the cabling is Apple's and the battery is Apple's. It's still their fault. You did nothing wrong. (overcharging - what an incompetent)

That may well have damaged your machine also. I'd be wanting Apple to take a good look at it.

(both of the above beat me to it)

OP
B

B.T

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Good to hear I might not have to pay for a new battery. (even though I've paid for a deposit)

PCMax is the place here in Bali, they're an Authorized Premium Reseller

http://www.pcmax.co.id/

When I showed the guy here my battery he looked confused, I gave him my laptop, he went and checked the warranty and then came back and said sorry batteries aren't covered under warranty.

Why did he even bother checking the warranty if he new it wasn't covered?. Thats why I thought the whole thing seemed a little dodgy.

I wasn't %100 sure but I told him that they are covered and all I got was a shake of the head.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That battery could have blown due to a fault of their installation of the new system board also.

With this added info, I'd be forgetting the local shop, calling Apple and wanting to send it to them direct to check it out properly and completely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bali rocks........ but I don't see it as being a place to get your Mac looked after :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g
Yeah that thing is a bomb waiting to go off! LiPo explosions are not very fun at all. That ballooning could be from overdischarging- under 3.0v per cell- and then charging, or it could be from the cells reaching over 4.21v. This is coming from the RC industry. These are no different than other Lithium Polymer batteries. Store it somewhere fireproof

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do I have to repost this

?
:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 10Gb Rams - 12Tb Storage, MacBook Pro 17, iMac 23, MacBook Air
(Defected) Ha ha ha ha well done little brother, good place to post.

C

chas_m

1. I'm glad to hear that such ridiculous lying wasn't done by a real Apple employee.

2. Still, I'd report that store to Apple Corporate.

3. It should be noted that the picture above is a) of an iBook and b) staged.

OP
B

B.T

Reaction score
(Defected) Ha ha ha ha well done little brother, good place to post.

Nobody asked you newbie lol

Heres an interesting link

BBC NEWS | Technology | Apple admits laptop battery issue
Reports of problems, including swollen batteries, have been circulating since the laptops were launched in 2006. If battery problems persist after the update, Apple has said users should contact their local Apple store or retailer and the firm will arrange replacement batteries free of charge.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas was speaking of the pic by 6string

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes.. iBook, and yes... staged.... but great way of making a point with very few words :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.