2 IPODS and i TUNES...

Reaction score
Can I run from my i tunes 2 i pods (Nano 3rd gen and Nano 5th gen ) as I have one for AUDIO TALKING BOOKS and one for all my music and I wish to keep them separate?
In other words will my i tunes library recognise the two i pod devices? Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, I use one Mac for 2 iPhones and 2 iPods. It recognizes them all individually.

I only use manually sync and do the same as you. I have a 4th gen Nano that is used strictly for books.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your 2 replies.
I presume it doesnt make any difference that i have a PC SONY VAIO with my i tunes library as opposed to a mac computer...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't have a clue as I've never synced them to any of my Windows machines, but I doubt it. iTunes should recognize each device, particularly since they're different models.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you very much indeed.One final question: How do I delete songs and audio book tracks off my i tunes library? Like you I want to be able to have one i pod for audio books and one for music and i for classical music Thanks again

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I "assume" you mean deleting them from your iPod, not from iTunes.

First thing I do is open iTunes - head for it's Preferences and the Devices button at the top. Put a check next to 'Prevent iPods and iPhones from syncing automatically'.

Once you connect your iPod, I check off the 'Manually manage' option.
You can still sync using the sync button for your music iPod and it'll sync everything you have checked in iTunes.

My audiobook iPod, I just drag the books I want and drop it on the iPod icon.
For deleting - highlight the iPod - right click whatever you don't want and click delete.

Just open it up and start playing with it. Doesn't take that long to figure out, without knowing everything up front.

OP
C
Reaction score
you are correct!
Where is the manually manage option on the i tunes page? i wish to spend the afternoon deleting off my i pod the songs just leaving the audio books on it! the new 16g I pod will have all my songs on it....
Does the i pod have to be connected all the time while i carry out the deletions to the i tunes library which I assume is done by unticking the boxes on the left!? Thanks again Bruce

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That option will not appear until you connect your iPod.

Remember you are not deleting items from your iTunes Library. Unchecking them merely causes them not to be synced if you also check 'Sync checked items only' or something like that. Also, not there until you connect your iPod.

For your audiobook one, the easiest way will be to highlight the iPod once connected - highlight everything in the right window, then right click and select delete. Go back to your Audiobook Library and drag and drop what you want to the iPod.

OP
C
Reaction score
You make it sound so easy. I am so sorry but weeks of frustration building up here and yet so close! I have found the manually manage on my i pod main page and TICKED it accordingly so I can manually manage deleting songs BUT
when i go to my music list and try i seem to get no where after trying a trial number of Xmas songs. I unticked on the list 6 songs but dont know what to do from there in order to get these 6 songs removed from my i pod! I am sure it is real simple but seem to be stuck at that point. Anyway you have been kind and thanks so far...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You make it sound so easy. I am so sorry but weeks of frustration building up here and yet so close! I have found the manually manage on my i pod main page and TICKED it accordingly so I can manually manage deleting songs BUT
when i go to my music list and try i seem to get no where after trying a trial number of Xmas songs. I unticked on the list 6 songs but dont know what to do from there in order to get these 6 songs removed from my i pod! I am sure it is real simple but seem to be stuck at that point. Anyway you have been kind and thanks so far...

For your audiobook one, the easiest way will be to highlight the iPod once connected - highlight everything in the right window, then right click and select delete. Go back to your Audiobook Library and drag and drop what you want to the iPod.

you need to highlight the iPod on the left side
this will cause the items on your iPod to be displayed on the right
highlight what you want to delete on the right
right click and select delete

unchecking does not delete anything from your main itunes library
It only prevents them from being synced to your ipod if you have 'Sync only checked items' checked

anything you want to permanently delete from your iTunes library, highlight it, right click and select delete

OP
C
Reaction score
i pods and i tunes continued......

Many thanks for your support.
I have conquered the how to delete permanently songs from the library thanks to your useful instructions
i still am having difficulty deleting songs.

Should the minute triangular shaped arrow to the left of the I pod icon be pointing down or right?

I highlighted thei pod icon (it is tiny!) it went black but no list subsequently appreared on the right just my i tunes header page showing amount of g used etc etc so i am doing something drastically wrong depite your careful instructions . (The i pod is connected throughout this process:(:()I am sure i will finally get this sorted ...
Thanks again for all your time and support..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, yes... the little triangle needs to be pointing down so it opens up access to what is on your iPod. Then highlight the area you want... i.e. music, audiobook, etc., the same as you do in your main library above.

When you're in the iPod library, you still permanently delete the same way... highlight the item, right click and select delete...
The checkboxes are still there, I'm not really sure even what they do here... may be related to whether they play or not when you are using shuffle mode on the iPod. I never use shuffle mode since I use my iPod 98% of the time for audiobooks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.