Macbook Pro snow leopard issues

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently purchased a used 2006 Macbook Pro that had a problem with Kernel Panic. I replaced the HD and tried to install Snow Leopard. However, after wiping the new drive and re-partitioning it, my install would progress to about half way, then my macbook would simply shut off and I have to restart. I've looked around and haven't found any concrete solution. Anyone have any ideas?

The model i'm using has a 2GHZ Core Duo, 2 Gigs of ram, and the x1600 256mb graphic card.

Thanks!

Wolf

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It'd be nice to know what was causing the kernel panics to start with.

The machine could be having some logic board issue.

If you received the original Tiger discs that shipped with the machine, I'd suggest using it and running the hardware test on the machine.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

I'd run the extended test.

The next easiest thing to try is swapping out the memory or trying with one stick at a time if you have two to see if one of them has died.

OP
W
Reaction score
I swapped out both sticks of RAM, and instead of installing halfway then cutting out, it gave me the "Could not install the necessary support files". Apparently this is a common issue, but none of the fixes I found have worked for me. Could it just be a bad DVD?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like a copy of Snow Leopard that shipped with another Mac. It will give that error because the drivers for your hardware do not exist on the disc.

Could also be a flaky optical drive or bad disc.

OP
W
Reaction score
I just swapped in the hard drive from another laptop that worked, so I don't think that's the problem. I'll just pick up the SL install disk and give that a shot.

OP
W
Reaction score
Well things continue to get worse. Swapped out my dvd to try a USB installation. The installation went a lot smoother. The progress gets about 3/4 of the way done, then the macbook just turns off. No warning, just shuts down. I don't think it's a heat issue, because I've ran it for hours not during install with no issues. I've tried both sticks of RAM in different slots, neither works. So is it possible (optimistically) that both sticks of ram are bad? Or is the logic board fried?

EDIT: Good news. I reset the ram one last time and presto! A clean install. Everything seems to be running just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.