Recorder software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac
I'm looking for an easy to use audio recorder.
Basically something like the old Windows recorder. I'd like it to be able to record "What you hear", so I can record internet radio, or other sounds off websites, and I'd like it to be able to record off the line in.

I know that I can record off the line in in Garage band, but that's a huge bit of software to fire up when all I want to do is record simple audio files.

I think Audacity can do what I want, but again, i'ts quite large and a bit complicated for what I need.

Any ideas? Ideally it will be freeware, but I will pay if it's decent software.

TIA

Darren

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might want to check out some products from Rogue Amoeba | The Rogue Amoeba Store. Radioshift is specifically designed with recording Internet audio in mind.

I often use Audio Hijack Pro because it records just about anything that you through at it. The interface is a bit different from many recorders but doesn't take long to master. Fission might be more along the lines of what you are interested in. Each of these programs has a free version for a download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Audio Hijack Pro here too. Great program and easy to use.

C

chas_m

Another +1 for Audio Hijack Pro.

FStream is a free option for listening to and recording internet radio, and there are many others that are either low-cost or free (Snowtape comes to mind, for example).

Another potential (as in "I haven't tried this myself but it should work") option is to install the (free) Soundflower extension, then use QuickTime X to record incoming audio.

I prefer Audio Hijack Pro though because it can be much more selective than any free solution I'm aware of. For example, if I have AHJ recording an internet station via iTunes, I can still hear system alerts or use iChat without any of that showing up on the recording (et al).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I really have no idea why, but I'm in the habit of using CD Spin Doctor (packaged with Toast) to record, and Audacity to edit and filter...Audacity should do it for recording, though - especially because it's free.

C

chas_m

"Free" is not always the best answer. Amadeus Pro whips the pants off Audacity, yet instead of being $200+ as it should be for something of that quality, it's $40.

Likewise, Audio Hijack Pro is $32 and has features no free solution even attempts to match.

Free is nice, but people who only consider price as the sole criteria for everything ... are Windows users. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
What features does Audio Hijack Pro have that you can't get anywhere else?? I am curious about that one....did consider getting it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.