Mac Games for Casual Gamer?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a bit of time on my hands recently, and I kind of want to get my hands on a few games for my iMac. I've always been a casual gamer in my life, playing all the Blizzard games but never venturing too far away from computer-based games. Anyway, I've been looking into a few games online, and I really want to get my hands on them. I want to get BioShock, Assassin's Creed, and maybe Rome Total War. My questions are:

1) When will BioShock 2 be available for Mac?
2) Are Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 compatible with Mac?
3) Could you guys recommend me a decent mouse for casual gaming purposes? Wired ones would be great.
4) Could you guys recommend other games that are compatible with Mac that I should look into? Judging from the ones I've mentioned above, hopefully you guys can get a rough idea of what I like in terms of gaming.

I totally understanding that gaming on a Mac isn't really that awesome. However, I really don't want to dual boot my iMac because, well, that'd mean that I have to get Windows on my computer, which I am not excited about.

I am using a 21.5" iMac, 3.06 GHz and 4GB RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
1) Seeing as the first one JUST came out for the Mac a couple months ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes them 4 years to release Bioshock 2, if they even plan on it. I would imagine Bioshock 1 hasn't received very many sales. This might play role in their decision whether or not they'll release Bioshock 2. I think part of it is the price they are asking for Bioshock 1. Maybe as the price falls they will pull in more revenue, but I don't see it going very far while they charge 50 bucks for it.

2) Not for OS X, but they should run fine if you use bootcamp. There might be Cider ports out there, but I am sure they are flaky and they aren't really.... legal. (cider ports)

3) I personally use the logitech G5 mouse for my every day use on my Mac. I would recommend it to anyone. There are other models that are out there that have the same shape but more buttons. I really like it.

4) Since you listed Bioshock. I would definitely keep an eye out for what Valve is doing. Rumor has it, Valve is going to release STEAM for OS X. They are going to bring HalfLife 2 (maybe 1 as well), Possibly CounterStrike, Portal, Team fortress, Left4Dead, and some others. I think this is going to really open the doors to the gaming portal. With Valve jumping on to the Mac, other game studios may follow suit.

You might check out Apples website for some gaming news. They usually keep it updated to what's new. Apple - Games - Articles

I would also check out : Inside Mac Games | and | Macgamefiles.com: Free Mac Games Downloads

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.