Microsoft word spacing help .....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I am creating a new document and when i have finished typing out and end the sentence and i hit return, as you can see from the image, it jumps down one whole line, as in a complete new paragraph.

20100306-c7bpms284ry1r5t7wejr1fr5q9.jpg

There will have to be a way to bring it up one line so it sits, the next line down. As where i have got the arrow.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MS Word 2008?

Top menu. Format -> Paragraph -> Spacing. Set the "after" box to 0 points.

That should do it. In order to set the line spacing and paragraph spacing for every new document that you create, you'll have to change it in the "normal template".

Regards.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea sorry mate is 2008 and works a treat
Thanking you :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Any word processor will assume a 'return' or 'enter' will mean you want to start a new paragraph - you can force a 'soft' return by using shift-return, which then does NOT start a new paragraph.

Soft return - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"In the contemporary graphical word processors Microsoft Word and OpenOffice.org, users are expected to type a carriage return (enter key) between each paragraph. Formatting settings, such as first-line indentation or spacing between paragraphs, take effect where the carriage return marks the break. A non-paragraph line break, which is a soft return, is inserted using shift-enter or via the menus, and is provided for cases when the text should start on a new line but none of the other side effects of starting a new paragraph are desired."

There's lots of other useful info in this document - well worth downloading and browsing for advice on styles/templates and other tips:-
Word:mac - Bend Word To Your Will

Coops

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.