Ugh, I hate I-Photo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch (Core 2 Duo)
I just want to label my pics right? So I use I-photo to view and label them. What have I got now NOTHING! My photos that I labeled and want to upload are only labeled in the little world that Mac wants them to be.
I'm finding most things here to be very non-versatile. More wasted time. Every time I give my Imac a chance to do something other than browsing the web, I find it to be a waste of my time.

Well back to Windows to the rescue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well they arnt for everyone then now are they. Hope you enjoy your windoz machine :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you consider trying a new application as opposed to blaming the whole computer? Why not give Google Picasa a try.

OP
Woodensail
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you consider trying a new application as opposed to blaming the whole computer? Why not give Google Picasa a try.

Wouldn't you think Imac that comes with Iphoto would be able to do something other than face recognition and slide shows.

BTW Just downloaded Picasa. Wow, what an improvement! Why couldn't Mac just offer something like that?
Thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Or better yet, have you tried right clicking the iphoto library icon in your photos folder and selecting "show package contents" and then gaining access to your jps? Probably not, but now you know you over reacted.

OP
Woodensail
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or better yet, have you tried right clicking the iphoto library icon in your photos folder and selecting "show package contents" and then gaining access to your jps? Probably not, but now you know you over reacted.

That doesn't work. I have to double click on the jpeg and close it to look at the next one.

I need something like Fastone. I have never found a better program than Fastone, but they don't have a mac version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD
well, since you're importing the photos to iphoto, when you re-label the photos, you are labelling the ones you imported to iphoto, and not the native one. so i can see why they dont appear re-labelled.

its just like adding songs to itunes. editing the title on itunes doesnt change the file name of the song, as itunes creates its own copies.

at least i know i have two copies, incase i delete the native one accidentally, i still have the one in my iphoto, instead of getting the "File cannot be found. It might have been moved or deleted" message. which is what happens in windows more often than not.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It really sounds like OSX nor Macs are right for you.

What is Fastone? I have always found ACDSee to be the best software out there for managing pictures. There is now a beta for OSX. Picasa is nice also.

C

chas_m

It really sounds like OSX nor Macs are right for you.

What is Fastone? I have always found ACDSee to be the best software out there for managing pictures. There is now a beta for OSX. Picasa is nice also.

I appreciate the mention of our beta, dtravis.

It's not as far along as the Windows version. If the OP really does go back to Windows, I hope he'll look at the Win version of ACDSee. If he sticks with Mac, both of the alternatives you mentioned (ACDSee and Picasa) are options.

Personally I think the big problem is that the OP just didn't learn the "mindset" of iPhoto (which is much the same "mindset" as iTunes, Address Book, Safari and many other Apple and third-party programs).

iPhoto's a great program that can do a lot of things beyond "face recognition and slideshows," but only if you want to open your mind a little. It's very "managed" and some people don't like that, but for MOST people its a good thing. I find it very powerful and cool myself.

I hope the OP will instead head to his local bookstore and sit down with an iLife manual and spend an hour reading up on how iPhoto works -- he may change his mind, or he may find out that its definitely not for him. Either way he'll be better off and happier, and that's ultimately what we want for him.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, I agree with everything you said about iPhoto, but some people just do not like it (As well as iTunes for some of the same reasons I guess) or like you said, just don't want to take time to learn a different way of doing things.

I personally love iPhoto for managing my photos. On Windows though ACDsee is the way to go. Hopefully the OSX version will down the line will do all that the Windows version does! That would be great.

C

chas_m

Another thought in case we are mis-interpreting what the OP wants to do:

Sometimes, when people say "label photos" we assume they mean "rename" them. But perhaps the OP meant actually put a caption on photos.

If that's the case, I have a good free solution for him: Portraits & Prints

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I really enjoy working with Macs and OS X. I think they are well built quality machines with a near bulletproof OS. That being said, I refuse to use iPhoto. I find it to be a pathetically limited application, and continue to be amazed with Steve Jobs leaves it out there in its current form.

To the OP: iPhoto is not part of OS X. It's just a software application like any other. There are many loyal Mac users out there who agree that it is awful--but don't abandon the OS--just try another application. To give up on Apple because of iPhoto would be like giving up pizza because you discover that you don't like onions as a topping.

OP
Woodensail
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, giving up on my Imac is not even a consideration. The only thing that this means is that I'm not yet ready to fully convert and purchase my Mac laptop. I was hoping by now that I could cut the cord and be a Mac user exclusively.
I have never seen a better quality of hardware on any other computer, and that includes the magic mouse and wireless keyboard. I also love Safari, even though there are some habits I must break from my 1.5 decades of windows usage.
I'm just a little annoyed that Mac endorsed the Iphoto, and I'm also not totally sold on Itunes, even though many aspects of Itunes are very ingenious. I use Itunes daily, and listen to the podcasts from there, even though some of the quirks cause me a little grief.
So I'm not bashing Mac. I just use the computer as a tool these days as opposed to the past where learning the computer was more of a hobby, and time was in abundance. In my busier life these days, I have to split system use to 50% Mac and 50% Win as I have less time to stop and learn a totally new system to accomplish my work.

Thanks for the help you all give, and patience with my frustrations.
I will get converted someday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Well you have made your point. Sorry to hear it does not work for you. Perhaps we may see you again sometime, on a more positive note.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.