How To Clean My Mac OS-X OS ???

Reaction score
Hi

I've got a Macbook 10.5, I'm looking to clean the system out, being new to the Mac OS-X OS I'm not sure how to go about it, E.g. On my windows platform I’ve always used the application CCleaner to clean out all files such as temporary internet files, cookies, history, recent documents, recycle bin, memory dumps, clipboard and desktop shortcuts etc, what application would I need to execute the same procedure on my Mac???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX
Keep in mind, that it's not Windows, so try to break free from the Windows mentality if you can.... and use this app every few months or so.
Macs aren't as messy as Windows OS's, and the temp, invisible, etc files are fewer and smaller, and really take up minimal space.
The main thing is to keep up to date with updates, and enjoy your Mac :)
I would also have a look at Apple - Mac and run through these videos.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
I downloaded the link, but when selecting open to install the app a pop up confirms, the application Onyx quit unexpectedly select relaunch ignore quit. When selecting relaunch everything stays the same, what could be the issue?

C

chas_m

You may have gotten a corrupted download, or the wrong version, or you didn't put it in your applications folder, etc etc etc.

Please tell us EXACTLY where the app is and what's happening so we can assist.

PS. 6string is right -- this is nowhere near as important or as big a deal as it is on Windows. For the most part the Mac takes care of its own "housekeeping" with only minimal user intervention.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Hi chas, i complied with the instructions, i dragged the Onyx icon to the app tab, but again when trying to launch, nothing... could it be an issue with the OS version i'm Running, Mac OS X 10.5 ? because the app says 10.6 Its also been suggested AppleJack is a good app? what are your thoughts on that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
You need to get the correct Onyx version for your OS !

OS X also automatically runs daily - weekly and monthly maintenance scripts to keep your machine in good working order ...
As Chas_m said, OS X isn't Windows :)

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Hi chas, i complied with the instructions, i dragged the Onyx icon to the app tab, but again when trying to launch, nothing... could it be an issue with the OS version i'm Running, Mac OS X 10.5 ? because the app says 10.6 Its also been suggested AppleJack is a good app? what are your thoughts on that?
As McBie said you need the correct version of Onyx. You can download it here: Titanium Software

Mac OS X does require less maintenance so you may or may not see much of a difference when doing these maintenances.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
I've run Mac OS X since 10.0.3 and have never once run any "cleaners" or other maintenance apps. I just let it go on its own and it's never, ever failed me.

The key to Mac? Just let it work for you. If you don't have to do something, then you'll never ever need to.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
As i said i'm not to familiar with OS X just yet due to windows being my first introduction to a PC. I need to make the switch between the two platforms and get used to working with OS X instead of my old Windows SP2.

Mac is the future...

What is the greater difference between Onyx and AppleJack?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.