Safari - pop-ups & being redirected

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac, G4 laptop, G5, imac 2.4Ghz intel duo,
Hi,

Over past few days two things have happened when I use safari

i. I am receiving a pop-up window for anti-virus software

ii. i do a search for soemthing but keep getting redirected to a page other than i searched.

I was thinking of trashing safari and using firefox to download another safari - what are your thoughts??

Thanks for any suggestions.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you downloaded any anti virus apps recently, or installed any software off the internet

Sounds like you are getting a DNS redirect (links being hijacked and taking your computer to somewhere you dont want to be)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First click on the Safari Menu up top and Empty Cache. If that does not fix it try a Reset Safari from the same menu. Let us know what happens. Sounds like you went to a site that redirected you to one of those fake Windows YOU HAVE A VIRUS sites!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac, G4 laptop, G5, imac 2.4Ghz intel duo,
I emptied the cashe and did the reset and it still occurred. then reading louishen's post i remembered that i operate vmware, vista and had downloaded Avast. I went into vista and sure enough there was a message saying the antivirus avast software had expired (which is weird as I thought it was free). Anyway i uninstalled avast and have gone back into safari and no more pop-ups. That means that the message from vista /vmware has transported to mac/safari. there must be some interconnection/

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.