Removed downloads folder from the dock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac i3 3.06Ghz, 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Ok as above really i accidentally removed the downloads folder from my dock - no biggie I went to my home directory and dragged the downloads folder back onto the dock (past the dotted line on the right)

i have a working downloads folder back on my dock - great. but it doesn't look the same as it did before. Before i deleted the original it was a pictured icon, the same as it looks in your home directory (the little house with and arrow on top of it) now it just looks like a blank folder.

How do i get it back like it was before?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Right-click it and select "View as Folder." Voilá! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Is it just me, or is the default view in the Dock "folder" when it ships or you reinstall, but if you replace a Stack, it becomes "stack"??? Why would Apple do that?

C

chas_m

Is it just me, or is the default view in the Dock "folder" when it ships or you reinstall, but if you replace a Stack, it becomes "stack"??? Why would Apple do that?

No, the default view in the Dock is "Stack" not "Folder." Apple ships with a couple of folders already set to "Folder" view, yes, but that doesn't make it the default.

I agree with you, however, that this could be confusing to newbies.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac i3 3.06Ghz, 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard 10.6.4
No, the default view in the Dock is "Stack" not "Folder." Apple ships with a couple of folders already set to "Folder" view, yes, but that doesn't make it the default.

I agree with you, however, that this could be confusing to newbies.

it was for me :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Apple ships with a couple of folders already set to "Folder" view, yes, but that doesn't make it the default.

Well, ok. That's what I meant. Obviously, the default view for new Stacks is stack. Unless there's a way to change that.... ?? They should put that option in the Dock prefs pane.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.