Memory Hog!! please help

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a unibody, 13", Alu macbook with 2 gb of ram. I upgraded to Snow leopard 5 months ago. I completely wiped the hard-rive and installed it fresh. Everything worked fine but recently I have noticed some slow down, because of this, I wanted to start fresh (and i have a lot of photography work coming up). I reinstalled as normal and now my mac is really hogging memory. Having a blank microsoft word window open is using 180mb, firefox is using 300. Right now iam using 1.18gb of memory and i only have word,firefox and sportify open. The CPU is fine and is always low. I have looked for answers online, a lot of people say go back to leopard, but i dont see why i should, my mac is reasonable new and the os is up to date. |If anyone could shed some light that would be much appreciated.

Regards

Aiden

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I would add another 2 gig of RAM, that will make a world of difference for you.

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi All

Having a blank microsoft word window open is using 180mb,

I don't think you're experiencing anything unusual. I just opened MS Word (Office 2008) and it's using 210meg of ram compared to your 180meg.

If you truly are experiencing some performance issues...like "McBie" suggested...upgrade the ram in your laptop.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.