• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Thieves Hit Worst Buy for $26K of Apple Laptops

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
Hello,

Fascinating Read. It sounds like something out of "Mission Impossible". :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
While I don't condone the actions of the thieves, I have to say hats off for being innovative!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
On a side note, it appears there were more PC based laptops in inventory than before the theft. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
While I don't condone the actions of the thieves, I have to say hats off for being innovative!

LOVE Saxon BTW! Opened up for them in Philadelphia in the bid 80's! Bif still own a pub?

(Sorry about the jacked thread.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Not really too innivate.
Their way of entry has elements from Mission Impossible and Oceans 13. So really all they had to do was watch a few movies and research alarm systems and they have the best way to break in.

It got the job done mind you and quite effectively too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Not really too innivate.
Their way of entry has elements from Mission Impossible and Oceans 13. So really all they had to do was watch a few movies and research alarm systems and they have the best way to break in.

It got the job done mind you and quite effectively too.

good point, Nothing you can't find out online or in a recent movie.
It's just like that group of guys who smashed into a Apple store in the middle of the night and stole over 20 Macbooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Hope they get caught every time something like this happens we all suffer through insurance premiums and its just plain wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Wow, sucks for those employees who won't be seeing their blue crew bucks this quarter, thanks to those guys singlehandedly destroying their budget for shrink.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Wow, sucks for those employees who won't be seeing their blue crew bucks this quarter, thanks to those guys singlehandedly destroying their budget for shrink.

I'm sure it it insured.

On the other hand regarding the robbery itself - could it be the Macs were just in the right spot at the right time? Since they stayed off the floor maybe the burglars couldn't get to the other shelves.

eBay here I come! cheap Macbooks.... cheap macbooks...

What's the penalty for buying stolen goods?
If they're smart they would list the machines on an international ebay site.
Considering the price at which a new Macbook fetches on ebay - offer free international shipping and the seller would still come out ahead.
Same thing with Craigslist.

However, more than likely the machines ended up in a pawn shop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I work for best buy... it's might be insured like that, but the stores also budget X amount of dollars for shrink every quarter. That was probably it for PCHO's budgeted shrink.

As for the shelves, yea, most laptops and desktop are up on shelves above the displays.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
LOVE Saxon BTW! Opened up for them in Philadelphia in the bid 80's! Bif still own a pub?

(Sorry about the jacked thread.)

Awesome! What band were you in? I am learning Wheels of Steel for a gig (drumming - not at all hard, more practicing it than learning!)
I don't think he does BTW!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.