Looking for the best value in a used MPB for $1000.00 or less

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz/512mb.....MacBook Air 13" i5/4GB/128GB SSD
I'm looking to replace my gf's aged and literally falling apart 5 year old Toshiba laptop with a new (well, gently used) MBP. We initially started looking at the new white unibody white MacBook but after seeing a few scratches on them from just being displayed in the store I've shyed away from that. With her education student discount we've calculated that the base 13" MBP with iWorks and tax will come to right at $1240.00. If I could get the same model with a few months use but in mint condition (plus some extras) for $1000.00 or less I'm inclined to go that route. Is this possible? Should I even consider the previous gen 2006/2007 non-unibody 15" MacBook Pros? I see them selling for 700-900 in good condition on Ebay.

A side note.... As she will more than likely keep this computer for a very long time, I'm not TOO worried about waiting for i3/i5 processors. At this point, the C2Duos are so far ahead of her 1.7Ghz Celeron and 512 of RAM that it's embarassing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
I picked up a 15.4" 2.33ghz 2gbram macbook Pro for $800 on craigslist.. in pristine condition.

There's a guy here selling a 13.3" macbook pro unibody (the new one) sealed up in the buy/sell/classifieds section of the webpage for $1350 I think.. not bad.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz/512mb.....MacBook Air 13" i5/4GB/128GB SSD
I've already emailed that gentleman. :Cool: I guess my more basic question is how 'outdated' (in comparison to the current gen) is the previous gen nonunibody '06-'07 15" MBP? Is it worth $800 or so?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
I think so.

I know that when I got mine I had to basically fight off about 15 other people trying to pick up the same computer.. so I'm sure there is a desire for them.

To be honest, it out performs a lot of laptops I've used and doesn't at all feel outdated. I do see my self switching to one of the unibodies next year just to keep myself up to date but right now I'm running Snow Leopard and blasting away on itunes, photoshop CS4 ,and positing this without a single glitch or any sort of hesitation.

It's a great computer and I don't think your girlfriend will feel like she's being shortchanged even with one of the "older" macbook pros.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have that late '06 model MBP also (as you can see in my specs).

As a long time hard core gamer, this is the first computer I've owned since the early 90's that has made it as my primary personal machine to 2 years in age. I believe the last one that made it 2 years was my Commodore.

At 3+ yrs now, I still have never had the feeling while using it that it's time for a new one. It still does everything I ask of it, without any lag or slowdown. None of the 1 & 2 yr old Dells we have in the office can touch it for speed on anything that I do.

I think even these late '06 models have at least another couple years of good life left in them. As all of my previous x86 machines were typically replaced within 12-18 months max, the thought of this one lasting for 5 yrs is unreal.

$800 is probably as good as you'll find, especially for the 2.33 with 256MB VRam.
Any machine you get, make sure you get the discs or you'll have a hidden cost there to replace them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have that late '06 model MBP also (as you can see in my specs).

At 3+ yrs now, I still have never had the feeling while using it that it's time for a new one. It still does everything I ask of it, without any lag or slowdown. None of the 1 & 2 yr old Dells we have in the office can touch it for speed on anything that I do.

I think even these late '06 models have at least another couple years of good life left in them.

I definitely agree. I basically have exactly the same MBP (17" model)...and have not felt that it was "outdated". I got it for $725 seven months ago off Craig's List.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Personally, I would stay away from the pre unibody macbook pros. They are all ticking time bombs. The run too hot, and will not live long and healthy lives. You might get lucky, but it really is a roll of the dice.

Performance aside, the new screens and keyboards are much brighter and better.

The regular white macbook is a much better bet. Or a newer unibody.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Picked up a 15 inch 2.4 mbp in spotless (scratchless) condition for $725 off of craigslist. It still had 3 years of apple care with it when I got it. I know its slower than some of the current MBPs... but for a laptop I don't really need lots of speed. I would say if you look for MBPs a couple of iterations behind the latest and greatest you can find some good deals.

I wouldn't use Ebay though, I would stick with something like craigslist where you can go and try the machine out before you buy it.... aside from the normal things to check out, take a DVD with you so you can make sure the DVD drive works.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Personally, I would stay away from the pre unibody macbook pros. They are all ticking time bombs. The run too hot, and will not live long and healthy lives. You might get lucky, but it really is a roll of the dice.

This is REALLY a very broad statement...encompassing a lot of different MacBook & MacBook Pro models.

What do you consider long & healthy lives?

Consider that many of these laptops are 3-4 years old at this point...still running strong...and I'm sure there are a fairly large number of folks here on MacForums using them without problems.

Of course some folks have had problems...but then there are folks who have had problems with "unibody" MacBooks/MacBook Pros as well.

For the right price & the right condition...I snap up a pre-unibody laptop anytime!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Yeah its a broad statement. But its just in my opinion, for $800 if my choice was a 2.33 15" silver box or a 2.26 unibody macbook or mbp, Id go unibody every time. Better screen, better looking, lighter, runs cooler. Ive seen so many silver pre-uni boxes go down in the last year that I just dont trust those machines anymore. I think the white pre uni macbooks are great, I just dont feel the same way about the pros. Just my opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.