Need help with an Apple iMac G3 (will not boot from CD-ROM drive.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need a help with an imac G3 (when i boot it and press command, o, f, and option it says it's a powermac2). I have a mac OS 9.2 installation disc and an OS X 10.1 installation disc (Both are CD's, not DVD's). I'm trying to put any Mac operating system on this machine and it refuses to boot from the CD-ROM drive. I do not have an external CD or DVD drive nor do I have the money and all of my other computers are PCs running various versions of Windows(not sure if a G3 will netboot from a Windows platform). I tried holding down C and it will just boot from the hard drive and go to the broken folder icon. When I press the option button when it boots all it will catch is the hard drive, which does not have a working OS on it. Is there any command I can try to set the boot device to CD-ROM drive so I can install OS 9 or X on it? I have looked all over this forum, tried just about everything that I saw. I am an advanced computer user but with average knowledge of macs. Any help would be greatly appreciated but please do not re-post any solutions already listed here.

By the way, would I be able to netboot this iMac from a windows platform?

Thanks,
ConfusedTechGuy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
First - welcome to Mac-Forums!

What model of G3 iMac is it? There are 6 different series, and numerous models. For example, we know it's slot-load from the detail you've provided, ie. "powermac2".

From what you post, it appears as though your machine has not had its firmware updated, but to confirm that we need more detail of the machine ID.

Are you confident that both the hard and optical drives are ok?

Boot from a Win network? I doubt it.

Reaction score
Hold the C key down before the chime. The option key should bring up a list to boot from.
If not, the machine dosn't see the CD rom. Do not try to boot from the Ten disc. The firmware has to be updated first before you install OS 10. If it was me I would open it up and test the CD rom and or take out the HD and reformat it elsewhere...put it back.

OP
C
Reaction score
The specs of the machine

Good to be here.

The model number: M5521
It's a iMac that's white all around.
Serial number: RN0303WHJVA
DHHS Code is GX
emc number: 1857

I tried everything involving the option and C keys. I've used both the hard drive and optical drives before. I was asked to remove the personal data on the machine (done) and re install any mac OS. I tried booting from both OS 9 and OS X. Neither works when ii first boots up. Both discs are valid because I have tested them on iMacs at my school.

Btw, how would I update my firmware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The model number: M5521
It's a iMac that's white all around.
Btw, how would I update my firmware.

Okay, the model number tells us that it's the last of the Summer 2000 series iMac, 500 MHz processor.

Mactracker http://mactracker.ca/ gives you the link to update firmware. See attached pic. It's to be found at the base of the General pane of info about that iMac in Mactracker.

Picture 23.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
It'll have to be booted to 9.1, 9.2 or 9.2.2 to install the update. I think that the #1 problem is a dead optical drive in this case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Certainly a possibility, but the OP says "I've used both the hard drive and optical drives before". That in itself isn't a guarantee that the optical hasn't since 'died'.

That iMac model has firewire, so ........

To confusedtechguy, can you get hold of an external optical drive and connect it via firewire to the iMac? Put the OS 9 boot disk in the external unit. Then, go through the iMac reboot procedure with Option held down to see if the it will hook up to the external unit.

OP
C
Reaction score
I do not have access to an external CD or DVD drive. The iMac has 2 firewire ports, 2 USB slots, 1 ethernet port, and the usual headphone and mic slots.

I'm certain the CD-ROM drive isn't dead, it's just stubborn. It refuses to work when the iMac boots.

I have a few 8 gig USB drives lying around, a PC run network, an OS 9, and a few OS X CD and DVDs lying around. I also have access to an iMac at work. I have a few images of Mac OS's on my home computer that I stored just in case if the CD's or DVD's became unusable (NOT used for copywright infringement, simply as a backup so I would not have to buy another copy).

I am not very fluent in Apple computers at all but hardware and Windows wise I am experienced.

Reaction score
You are using a wired keyboard ? If the Imac will not boot from the CD rom theres something wrong with it. Either its dead or disconnected. You could try to hook up to the Mac at work throw firewire or ethernet. If you can get the HD to mount on the Mac at work you can install OS9 back on it. If you had a USB to ide adapter you could setup a new HD on the other Imac then install it in the broken one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.