Downloaded a file from a dubious source

Reaction score
Stupidly, I downloaded a file from a suspicious source. When I went to open the file I thought it was odd because it was in my applications folder and then when I opened it it opened as 'terminal'. (sorry about poor use of terminology). I don't run anti virus software because like many mac users I don't feel vulnerable to virus attacks but this episode has concerned me.

Anyway, my question is, is this someone trying to get into my data and should I be worried? How can I find out if they were successful or not?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Did you Google the name of the file (in quotes to encompass both the name and the file extension) to see if anyone has posted about it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The first and obvious thing is "delete that file" (if you haven't done so already).

Then, in addition to what VG has suggested, check your browser's cookies. Look for the obvious name of the site you visited, and/or the name of the file you've found in the Applications folder. Delete the cookie(s).

If you want to do a more thorough job, reset your browser, including clear cache and empty ALL cookies. You'll have a bit of extra work to do once you return to familiar and safe sites, but it's a task of several minutes at most.

Be extra vigilant in future about accepting cookies. I steadfastly recommend that people set the browser prefs to Don't Accept Any Cookies until such time as they're thoroughly familiar with which sites are harmless, eg. your bank, online shopping etc.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for comments

VG
I didn't do that but should have done. next time...

It wasn't a cookie it was from a contact in yahoo messenger. She sent me file and I downloaded it. when I went to open it it was in my application file and so. really dumb. any idea what it is?

C

chas_m

Probably a Windows virus, and thus harmless.

Let this be a lesson learned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
OP
B
Reaction score
thanks again

Chas, that's what I thought. Are there virus like this that can access your passwords and other data, perhaps to access online bank accounts, paypal etc? I've checked and my cash is still in bank! Maybe they got in and saw how broke i was and took pity on me!

But you are right, this is a lesson, that I had already learned, relearned!

Hugh, I didn't keep it and just checked my file transfers and it is empty so i probably deleted it when i realised there was a problem. I also emptied my trash so can't look there.

If she comes online again, I'll get her to resend, get file name then decline and post info here

thanks again guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.