Change File Associations

Reaction score
Hi All,

Recently someone was on my computer without authorization, accessed their live.com mail account, and downloaded some files from their account. Interestingly though, live.com save a .html pref file on my desktop. When I clicked on the file the usual warning appeared saying the file had been downloaded from the internet and what do I want to do. It listed 3 options: show web page, open file, cancel. The first time I clicked open file and it open a blank screen in safari with the local folder as the address. Now when I click on the file i don't get the show web page option anymore. Anyone know how to restore that option? I'm assuming it has something to do with file associations...? I would very much like to see the web page to aid me in figuring out exactly why this person felt it was necessary to use my computer.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
You establish file associations by right clicking the file icon, selecting "Get Info" and then selecting "Open With," and "Change All." For a one time opening, you can just use the "Open With" selection that appears in the right click menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.