Why is there a copy of ALL my photos in the Pictures folder?

Reaction score
I am running out of room on my mac so I decided to start deleting and reorganizing my thousands of photos.

Using a program called InventoryX, I discovered that seemingly every photo I've had on this computer has copied and been sorted under my username>Pictures. The whole Pictures folder is 30GB. Its been sorted:

and there are sub folders:

year-month-day
etc..

Clearly, I am not that organized lol. Each of these folders are copies (I am assuming). The other copies of these pics are also still where I copied them from my camera. I never even use the Pictures folder, I store all stuff on the desktop in a folder called "to update". No joke, that is how unorganized it all is.

I am curious to know what these files are from. I am afraid to delete them because I am afraid they could be anchored somehow, I don't want to lose all my pics.

Some programs that I have that could be responsible are Lightroom, aperture, photoshop. I am highly suspecting Lightroom. Whenever I do a photoshoot, I copy all my files into a folder on my desktop. Then I import them into Lightroom. Could it be lightroom storing my files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Are you using iPhoto ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Sorry, disregard my post. I didn't catch the name of the program you were using in your post

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It's probably your iPhoto library if you use iPhoto. Normally, you will only see an iPhoto "icon" under Pictures folder. But you can expand it to see the actual photos. Although, this is not recommended. You can screw up iPhoto by editing the contents that way.

OP
J
Reaction score
I do not use iphoto to import my photos. The only thing I use iphoto for is to get just a few photos on my iphone. But the photos in the folder are not in my iphoto program. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.