Transfering from Ipod to Mac

O

october

I know there is a program out there that transfers songs from your ipod to your mac since itunes will not let you do it, but I forget what the name is, and I didn't know if there was a better one for the job.

With getting a new pb, I would like to transfer selected albums to my HD so I can burn them.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
OP
T

Tel

Connect iPod, open iTunes, File > Import > point it at your iPod and it will import all the tracks into nice folders just how you want this. I did this a good few times on PC, haven't tried it on Mac but can't see why it wouldn't work.

OP
S

sebb2004

Got this from the Apple forum, worked on Windows XP after some how my itunes library got erased.

The manual way around this problem is to use the iPod in its alter ego - that of portable computer disk drive. Successfully tested under iTunes for Windows 4.2, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7; Windows XP Home.

- Start with the iPod disconnected from the computer - DON'T CONNECT IPOD YET
- open iTunes
- open iTunes Preferences - this blocks iTunes from seeing an iPod connection; leave the preferences window up and running
- connect the iPod to the computer, wait about 15 seconds before continuing
- open 'My Computer'
- Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab, enable 'show hidden files /folders'
- open iPod icon in My Computer
- open iPod_Control folder
- you should see a folder named Music
- drag this folder to somewhere on your computer hard drive
- after the copy completes, right-click the new Music folder on your hard drive and select 'Properties'
- clear the checkmark next to 'Hidden'
- Close that explorer window
- eject iPod from System tray "Safely Remove Hardware" icon. This icon looks like a small gray rectangle with a green arrow floating above it. It's only there when a removable device (like the iPod in this case) is attached to the computer. Right-click & select 'Safely remove..', then click 'Stop' in the next window, OK in the next window, and then Close to complete the ejection.
- disconnect the iPod from the computer

- go back to iTunes, cancel the preferences window
- File menu \ Add folder to Library \ find that Music folder copied over from the iPod

Your iTunes library should be back in action

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
ipod rip is great but best is show hidden files

OP
O

october

Tel said:
Connect iPod, open iTunes, File > Import > point it at your iPod and it will import all the tracks into nice folders just how you want this. I did this a good few times on PC, haven't tried it on Mac but can't see why it wouldn't work.

I know it's this easy on a PC, but it does not work on a mac. Senuti seems to be a good program, but I haven't really tried to much on it. I just wish I could easily make a playlist off of my ipod and burn it in itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
october said:
I know there is a program out there that transfers songs from your ipod to your mac since itunes will not let you do it.

I use iPod Access (v3.1.5 the latest I think?)

The trial allows only 5 songs at a time, but I paid the $10 because it was a nice program and worked nicely. I only needed to use it once but didn't want to transfer 2000+ songs five at a time. Version Tracker has it, try it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.