Macbook or iPad, that is the question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually I think Steve is going the right way about killing flash. You can not slowly adopt a new technology. People then winge, "what about my old hardware and apps that need the old technology?". And you get nowhere cause people are creatures of habit and always want to stick to their old things.

But progress only happens with change. And I think cold turkey is the best way. Kill it and move on. And people have to then move with the times or be left behind. Sure it's not an easy way but then there's no people winging on the back of legacy hardware/software.

The only catch is when to announce the death of something. Did Steve get the timing right for his death of flash speech? I think only time will tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Not sure of what to say about that 8thark. I'm not sure that you really got the gist of what I was saying. I know you get the overall picture, but there's an more immediate one than the yet to be seen future picture that Steve would like to wholly take responsibility for. The ego on him is amazingly bold and equally as insecure for trying to pull this off and be the hero to all of his disciples.

The one difference between what he is trying to do, and what has been the classical method of getting new technology to the market while pushing old tech out, is that in the case of the latter, the newer technology had sufficient time in the field being tested and had the necessary technical support as well as support from their target audience as well as from key corporate entities.

The support for HTML 5 is somewhat abysmal at the moment, no matter how much better a platform it may be compared to Flash. And the real issue is that Steve doesn't have the power to change that, no matter what we think or are witnessing with the iPad. The delay in the death of Flash is caused by a force he has little control over, and though it's a tiny hole which might eventually sink the Titanic, it's also a shame that the passengers won't be aware of its ill fate until the last minute.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
I completely agree with the8thark on this. I read an article quoting Jobs as saying that like 70 percent of all Safari "freezes" were caused by Flash and that HTML is the much more reliable. I just hope HTML becomes widely accepted and used quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I completely agree with the8thark on this. I read an article quoting Jobs as saying that like 70 percent of all Safari "freezes" were caused by Flash and that HTML is the much more reliable. I just hope HTML becomes widely accepted and used quickly.

I always laugh at comments like that, I really do. You might think I'm exaggerating, or perhaps lying but.. I'll ask you to believe me and will only say that I don't believe in lying about these things. It serves no purpose for me, as I am not prideful about this stuff.

Outside of one Flash related piece of content, I have NEVER had Firefox crash or freeze on me because of Flash. I can easily site the piece of cr@p software/website which has really poorly coded Flash running it, and this is the point. It's the LAZY and irresponsible and untalented Flash coders fault that a specific site crashes, and not because of Flash its self 100% of the time.

A lot of people claim that Safari doesn't work well with a lot of Flash content, yet I can open the same problematic sites with Firefox and have no problem. That's really a bit suspicious if you asked me. Think about it for a minute. It's a great excuse.. yeah., it's the fault of Flash, not Safari ! Heavens no, not Safari ! I'm just saying, considering all the facts, it's in Apple's best interest that Flash and Safari don't get along.

But whatever, I'm sure I'll get some flack for saying that, but it doesn't bother me. I know that in ALL the years I've been using Firefox and have been viewing the tons of Flash coded photography sites that I have, it has been seamless. Even on a Mac in the past couple of years. For me it's a case of "if it ain't broke... "

Again, I don't mind Flash disappearing. But don't freeking punish me by taking away a working technology that is being used by a LOT of my peers, while waiting for a replacement. It makes ZERO sense.

I also hope that HTML5 becomes a widely accepted standard for all media based content on the web, but it is NOT going to happen just like that. There are too many companies whom have a lot of time and money invested into the latest Flash standards. And these aren't just little nobody companies. We're talking the likes of Google here dude.... And the reality of that is that only WE suffer through their silly and obnoxious format wars. Wish it wasn't so, but it is. And I only want the platform I support (OS X) to support me, right back. At least until everybody is ready to give up that ghost.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.