MacPorts - does it work?

Reaction score
I've just installed Emacs using MacPorts, but it turned out to be the Ncurses/terminal version. I tried emacs-app, which I think is the X11/GUI version, and it failed to build. I then tried GEdit, which took hours and then gave a screenful of errors.

Anyone else used it with any success? MacPorts seems to be a variation of the FreeBSD Ports system - but that does actually work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I've used it for several things - of course, I don't just use MacPorts - I use the gui front end Porticus to do my installs, and what I've installed has installed just fine... For many/most things you need to make sure you have XCode installed tho AFAIK so whatever is downloaded can be properly compiled if required.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Works about 95% of the time here for me.

As for emacs, give Aquamacs a try. For gedit, there are native Mac builds - get it here (look for the link on the right hand side).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
It works most of the time for me. As stated before I have xcode and x11 installed.

I just tried installing xemacs and it seems to work. I had to turn off universal though
Code:
sudo port install xemacs -universal
screenshot20100304at601.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.