Black Macbook backlight problem

Reaction score
i broke my screen about a year ago so i had to send it away to fix it. Recently when ever i move the screen the backlight turns off, this only happens when the screens at a certain angle. Am def not sending it to be repaired again, any advice?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you don't want to send it out to be repaired again, your only choice then is to repair it yourself. Possibly a loose connection either to the backlight itself or the inverter. In order to repair it you would have to disassemble the display panel.

Go to iFixit: Apple Mac, MacBook, iPod, and iPhone Repair Parts, look up your year model number and then find the step by step take down instructions for changing out the display.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, not likely. A bad inverter usually results in no backlighting at all. On older model notebook computers the backlight is a CCFD type and CCFD tubes diminish in brightness over time. LED backlighting is better because they maintain brightness over the life of the LED(s).

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.