Macbook White or Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
hey, i've still got a qns...

macbook pro : 4GB RAM, 250GB, 2.53GHz
macbook white : 4GB RAM, 250GB, 2.26GHz

my school has upped the specs but the macbook pro is 600 bucks more than the macbook white. is the aluminium and 0.27GHz extra worth tt much?

and will there be a notable difference in speed?

and will there be a problem(lag, speed) running a windows os on these specs?

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook running OSX Leopard.
I cannot personally speak on the performance of the aluminum pro, other than using one of my friend's once or twice. However, I have the black macbook (late 2008 i think? shipped with Leopard). Anyway, it has 4 GB of ram, 150 GB hard drive, and it's a 2.2 GHz core 2 duo.

Just with my experience with various computers, i don't think the 0.27 GHz will show much speed difference. I run photoshop, final cut pro, etc. pretty often on this machine. Also, I boot-camped windows xp on my macbook last semester AND ran AutoCAD 2010 on it.

Having that said, I think you can save the $600 and do just fine. Keep in mind, I'm not sure what you will be using it for exactly since you mentioned your school upping the specs.

OP
E
Reaction score
cool, sounds good.

my school upped the specs for it'll be more value for money, compared to the apple store i guess haha.

i'm in business school and they recommend it windows-based com but i really want a mac.

i'll probably be using microsoft office pretty often, shouldnt be a problem at all right?

because the windows-based notebooks they offer are cheaper and harddisk is 500GB, and it's abt 2.66 GHz.

but the mac is gorgeous and i've seen many good reviews abt the macbook.

so im like on the fence... sigh...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5GHz i5, 4GB RAM
Get the Macbook Pro. You can use microsoft office on it without a problem if it comes pre-installed. Also with the Macbooks you can duel boot so you'll have the Windows option. Plus Macs run better and crash less so there's a plus for your important school work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
The polycarbon Macbook gives you more value for your money. I think it's good for school. But that aluminum MBP look so darn sweet, specs be **** I decided on the aluminum for myself.

Save your money and get the poly Mac. When you get out of school and make more money, you can splurge and get an uber Mac of your choice.

Reaction score
The polycarbon Macbook gives you more value for your money. I think it's good for school. But that aluminum MBP look so darn sweet, specs be **** I decided on the aluminum for myself.

Save your money and get the poly Mac. When you get out of school and make more money, you can splurge and get an uber Mac of your choice.

I have to agree +1

And the base macbook runs windows 7 really well, on 32bit i get a windows index score of like 5.4, and in parallels i get a 3.8 rating! thats not too bad for a laptop!

Reaction score
I have to agree +1

And the base macbook runs windows 7 really well, on 32bit i get a windows index score of like 5.4, and in parallels i get a 3.8 rating! thats not too bad for a laptop!

Going to agree with you and the guy above ya! Get the new Uni Polycarb Mac. I just did and its a lovely piece of kit! It's specs are similar to the low end MBP (current offering) anyway. You can always go the apple rfurb route too and get the last gen MBP for like $999 if I'm not mistaken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
I did some research, and found for the exact same specs, the Macbook white is cheaper and a much better value for your buck. And, the high-impact polycarbonate actually is shown to protect the internal components BETTER than the aluminum. So naturally I bought the Macbook white.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I did some research, and found for the exact same specs, the Macbook white is cheaper and a much better value for your buck. And, the high-impact polycarbonate actually is shown to protect the internal components BETTER than the aluminum. So naturally I bought the Macbook white.

Depends on the type of damage. The polycarbonate is more elastic, so it will fare better in an egg drop type experiment (the macbook drop, yikes... that'd entice you to do your homework and do a good job, eh?). However, I'm not too worried about dropping my MB (I got the aluminum before they called it a pro). I'm in an active black metal band and record our practices a lot. My drummer, like any, but especially him, has a penchant for throwing drum sticks. I'd like to see your polycarbonate MB take a drum stick to the back of the display and be AOK. Mine does just fine. :) Not even dented.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.