New iPod touch user problems with Wi-Fi (surprise surprise)

Reaction score
Maybe i assumed wrong, but i thought I could buy an iPod Touch and simply select one of the detected wi-fi connections and away I go, but doesn't seem to be working like that. :Shouting:

Basically my iPod Touch detects 4-5 different networks (all but one of those has no padlock). I have tried the one with no padlock SpeedTouch or something like that and it doesn't work. I also tried all the others, but i don't yet understand the password stuff.

When I try to connect it loads a page saying "Your DSL connection is down. Verify your SpeedTouch is correctly connected to your DSL line"

I don't even have a DSL as far as i know.

So how the heck can I simply get internet connection up and running?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Who is your ISP? Do you have a wireless network set up at home?
Where are you when you're trying to connect? Who's wireless network are you attempting to connect to?

While there are free wi-fi hotspots available in a wide variety of places, you do know that "borrowing" your neighbors wi-fi is technically illegal.

OP
P
Reaction score
Who is your ISP?

For my home computer? 3Connect.

Do you have a wireless network set up at home?

I have Macbook pro using mobile broadband (company 3) to get internet connection at home. Its basically just a USB stick that i put in the USB port on my computer and it connects.

Where are you when you're trying to connect?

At home.

Who's wireless network are you attempting to connect to?

On the iPod Touch?

SpeedTouchC3F3BB (has no padlock and the most bars)
BeBox
BTHomeHub2-8JWW
ZyXEL_8306bli
danfountain

While there are free wi-fi hotspots available in a wide variety of places, you do know that "borrowing" your neighbors wi-fi is technically illegal.

lol. How would that work? I'd rather not depend on any else to be honest. Just looking to have my own reliable connection rather than any neighbours, but I'll certainly keep it as an option.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
On the iPod Touch?

SpeedTouchC3F3BB (has no padlock and the most bars)
BeBox
BTHomeHub2-8JWW
ZyXEL_8306bli
danfountain

Those would be your neighbors.
Since I am here in the U.S., I am not familiar with 3Connect as an ISP. If you have internet service through them, it's time you invested in a router and set up your own wi-fi network for connecting your iPod Touch.

OP
P
Reaction score
Wow so its illegal to use those networks that are being picked up by my iPod?

Not that it matters since they aren't even working anyway, but illegal?

Now i'm getting p1ssed off. Apple should clarify WAY MORE than they do on their advertising regarding this.

So now i need invest in something else to get this to work? LOL

dear oh dear

OP
P
Reaction score
Will using a router enable internet connection anywhere I go, or only within a few hundred yards radius?

Reaction score
Yes, it is illegal to "piggy-back" someone else's wifi connection (except where permitted in Macdonalds etc). There have already been criminal convictions here in the UK.

Your 3 dongle is not a wi-fi router. I have a mi-fi router which I use with 3 and Vodafone and it has no problems with my iPod.

You will need something similar, if you don't have broadband at home.

C

chas_m

popper: you really don't seem to have much understanding of the concept of wifi, so let's clarify things a bit:

1. You don't have the right to connect to your neighbours' wifi networks without their permission. I have no idea whether its "illegal" in your jurisdiction or not, but its not right regardless. That's why most private wifi networks have a padlock on them.

2. Since the iPod Touch is a WIRELESS device, it must have WIRELESS network you have permission to connect to in order to access the internet. From what you've said, you haven't bothered to set up a WIRELESS network in your home.

3. There is no REQUIREMENT to buy anything else in order to have a wireless network in your home. You can use have your MacBook Pro "share" its internet connection via wireless (you'll find this under "Sharing" in system preferences). The range will not be very good, and the MBP will need to be on whenever you want the iPod Touch to connect to its wifi network, but it should enable what you want.

4. A home wifi network (no matter how it is set up) only has a short range, 100m or so at best (subject to interference from metal and so forth). Using your MBP to share your cellular-based connection will probably limit the range further. For best effect, you should be using the more conventional setup of having a cable or DSL provider give you a modem/router with wireless capability (or just the modem and you can buy the router separately). Then you would have a "proper" wifi network that would extend throughout your house.

5. The only way to have "ubiquitous" internet everywhere you go is to use a cellular modem, which your iPod Touch cannot do. However, your iPod Touch *can* connect to public Wifi networks which, depending on your particular area, may be easily found at local pubs, hotels, coffee shops and other such places.

Hope that clears up a few misconceptions!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nice post there chas

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.