Seagate Freeagent: "The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It also clicks a bit when it first powers up. Maybe it's just bad.
Clicking sounds with hard drives are generally a bad sign. That and the fact that you can't seem to do anything with this drive. You noted in your first post that it was brand new so I would return it to the store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I bought one of these crappy drives, as did a friend of mine. Both.. dead after a few uses, in the same exact way. Just out of nowhere.... history. He's still trying to get his money back with their 3 year guarantee.. Me ? I'm not rich but, I took it as a loss.

I replaced it with an iOmega 'go' which is OS X formatted, has Firewire 400 and 800 and USB 2.0. All for about $110 Thing is lightning fast, and shows no signs of flakiness like the silly Seagate drive. Never again Seagate..

Doug

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I bought one of these crappy drives, as did a friend of mine. Both.. dead after a few uses, in the same exact way. Just out of nowhere.... history. He's still trying to get his money back with their 3 year guarantee.. Me ? I'm not rich but, I took it as a loss.

I replaced it with an iOmega 'go' which is OS X formatted, has Firewire 400 and 800 and USB 2.0. All for about $110 Thing is lightning fast, and shows no signs of flakiness like the silly Seagate drive. Never again Seagate..

Doug

Interesting report Doug. I made a negative comment on my friends Seagate Freeagent. Reason was it feels and seems so cheap. Just reeked of low quality construction.

I bought a 1TB Iomega that was on sale at BB that has FW400/800/USB2 & ESata. It has a Seagate drive inside and so far has been solid after 5 months.

I have also had very good luck with WD external drives.

OP
M
Reaction score
If I return it for something else, I need something in that price range (-$120) with comparable size (1TB) from staples.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Interesting report Doug. I made a negative comment on my friends Seagate Freeagent. Reason was it feels and seems so cheap. Just reeked of low quality construction.

I bought a 1TB Iomega that was on sale at BB that has FW400/800/USB2 & ESata. It has a Seagate drive inside and so far has been solid after 5 months.

I have also had very good luck with WD external drives.

Wait.. The iOmega's have Seagate Drives ? Because you know.. the Seagate's are really Maxtor drives. Seagate doesn't do very much of their own thing these days.

I just hope that the drive in the iOmega's are different from those in the FreeAgent's. Man, that's disappointing. I've never been let down by Western Digital before though.. so there's always that, should the iOmega crap out. Seems really solid though. And I agree on the Seagate build quality. Really chinsey.

Doug

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's funny. I remember a while ago having to choose between Seagate and WD (both were the same price, same speed, same capacity) and I went with the WD because of the warranty (I think). Seagate was 3 year, WD was 5 year IIRC. I'm glad I did - both WD drives I have are solid and have never caused any problems.

To the OP: I would recommend doing some research first. You may find conflicting info on the net but if it's going to be something so important (at least for me), I would make sure you get something with a good reputation. There is no worse feeling than losing data.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Doug, my model does. Do remember iOmega does not make drives. Just cases and interface boards.

Mine has been great.

To the OP, did you try exactly what I said to try in my post and the picture?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, as I said, I did. It must be a faulty drive. I'll be returning it and exchanging for something else. Recommendations would be nice. I get a discount from Staples, so I basically can order anything in that price range that they offer on their site right now. Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, as I said, I did. It must be a faulty drive. I'll be returning it and exchanging for something else. Recommendations would be nice. I get a discount from Staples, so I basically can order anything in that price range that they offer on their site right now. Thanks.

I read all the reviews on Best Buy on that drive. Many had your issue shortly after they brought it home. The ones that worked said it was Plug and Play with their Mac and OSX.

Take it back. It must be defective.

BTW, Seagate BOUGHT OUT Maxtor. Not the other way around. I was told the lower priced drives in Seagate's line (At least a while ago) are the Maxtor design. That might not be the case today.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.