22 or 24 inch HDMI enabled monitor recommendations please

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm currently using a ViewSonic VX910 4:3 monitor, connected to my Mini via Mini DVI > DVI, and I'm looking to get a larger monitor in the next couple of months.

Ideally, what I'm looking for, is either a 22" or 24" 16:9 HDMI monitor, that will allow me to make use of the Minis 1080P output.

I can't afford any of Apple's offerings, so I'm in the market for an OEM brand, like Samsung (I have a Samsung TV, so know their quality) or Ilyama, but I'm also willing to listen to opinions on other brands, as well.

The monitor must have HDMI input, as I intend connecting it to either my PS3, or my XBox 360, which are both taking up precious HDMI real estate on my TV at the moment.

So, come on, folks! What are your recommendations? :D
Are there any brands I should give more than a cursory glance to and conversely, are there any others which I should avoid?

Thanks in advance. :D

MODS: Can you please move this thread to the "Anything goes" section - I posted here in error - Thanks. :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Moved to 'Other Hardware and Peripherals'.

No tech questions belong in Anything Goes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've got a couple of Samsung monitors that I'm happy with. Some folks don't like them, but I personally think they're a good choice for the $$ and they perform well. But that's just my opinion.

Regards.

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
I've got a couple of Samsung monitors that I'm happy with. Some folks don't like them, but I personally think they're a good choice for the $$ and they perform well. But that's just my opinion.

Regards.
Thanks for that, chscag :)
Do you have any model numbers I could google?

Also, a friend has mentioned the HP LP2475W, which, from googling, seems to get some very good reviews. Does anyone here have any first-hand experience of this monitor?

Thanks. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Just out of curiousity, what is the specific advantage of using a Monitor vs a 22 - 24in HDTV?

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, what is the specific advantage of using a Monitor vs a 22 - 24in HDTV?
Hi there,

Just my opinion, but I find that TVs tend to use a higher contrast ratio than dedicated monitors.

TVs are meant to be watched/viewed at a distance, but monitors are designed for close-up viewing.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Sounds reasonable. I asked because I have my mini hooked to a 37" HDTV and it looks pretty good. Admittedly, I'm not right on top of it either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.