Problems w/ Safari

Reaction score
For the last week, I have had this problem with Safari.

After having Safari open for a while and I try to open a new tab by clicking on the "+" or by taking the long route (File, New Tab), nothing happens.

If I want to open a new tab, I have to quit Safari all together (thus closing out of the web pages that I had open) and re-start.

If I give up and just use the tabs that I have open, eventually, Safari freezes up and I can't refresh pages or enter new web addresses.

I have quit Safari and re-booted my computer countless times. I have reset Safari and cleared the cache countless times, as well.

I am at a loss. Any ideas of what is wrong?

Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums.
If Safari is the only thing you are having problems, I would start by quitting Safari, going to user/library/preferences and deleting com.apple.safari.plist and restarting, and if that doesn't fix it, going to Apple's download page, and redownloading the latest version of Safari, and see if that fixes it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It might interest you to know that you can open a new tab with cmd+T.

OP
K
Reaction score
6string--thank you for the suggestions. I tried each of them and neither one worked.

mymacrox--that doesn't work either when Safari acts up. the only way i can get a new tab is to quit it completely and start over all over again.

i guess i am destined to have this problem permanently. Totally sucks because it really holds my work up sometimes.

Thanks for your help, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
i guess i am destined to have this problem permanently.

No! Almost any software problem has a solution. Maybe you just need a new com.apple.safari.plist file.

You should find it in Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences
Move that file to your Desktop, then start Safari. This will make an new plist file with default settings.
If you like how it behaves better, toss that file on your Desktop in the Trash.
In the unlikely event that it's worse, put the file back in Preferences, overwriting the new one.

The next thing to try would be logging in under a different user account...

OP
K
Reaction score
toMACsh--thank you for taking the time for your suggestions. I tried both of them and neither one worked. When I did your first suggestion, Safari started behaving the same way. Also, when I logged into my husband's user account, and began using Safari, I encountered the same problem.

I guess I will just switch to Firefox because it is not realistic for me to keep having to deal with this much longer.

Thanks again to everyone who offered help. It is appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Safari definately has bugs at the moment, which I hope will be resolved with the next Safari update, or the 10.6.3 update.
I use Firefox and have no issues with it, and if you want to import you bookmarks etc, just go to the firefox menu bar, file>import>safari>continue>select what you would like to import. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I missed the answer to this question earlier I apologize. have you added any add ons/plugins to Safari?

C

chas_m

I have to point out that this is NOT a bug in Safari. If it was, everyone (or many people) would have it. Most of us on this forum use Safari and obviously we're not having the issue -- indeed this is the only report of it.

I don't know what the issue actually is, but it's not a bug in Safari.

Reaction score
does safari work in another user account? Create a new user and open up Safari and see if it will let you create new tabs. This will tell us if its an issue with your user account or with Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The bugs in safari I am refering to is based on http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/193357-safari-jumping.html and even though I've not heard of this one, I only just noticed the other one yesterday.
I have no doubt that there are many more which I am unaware of, esp after hours of googling trying to find how to uninstall any version after the Safari 4Beta version by various people having all sorts of problems with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
does safari work in another user account? Create a new user and open up Safari and see if it will let you create new tabs. This will tell us if its an issue with your user account or with Safari.

See post #6 above.

The problem is with Safari.

kmurray, if you've identified your OS version and version of Safari, I missed it. Perhaps you need an upgrade of Safari. If you're at the latest version, I'd still suggest downloading Safari again and reinstalling it to see if that will fix the tabs problem.

Reaction score
OK, Sorry I missed that. Here are the next trouble shooting steps.
1.Go to the apple menu and make sure you are completely up to date with software updates. (if you havent already).
2.Launch disk utility, on the left select your Macintosh HD, click on repair permissions.
disk utility is in your /Applications/Utilities folder.
log out then log back in and check Safari.
3.if the issue persist try reinstalling safari.
4.archive and install the OS. here is a link to help with that.
if you are running snow leopard the archive and install is done by default. Meaning you just have to put in the installation disk and run the installer. I always suggest doing a backup first, just in case.

hope this helps

Reaction score
Hi, I have the same problem with safari and have done all the same things. Still have problem, so went to firefox and no more problem. I have had several Mac experts give up.

Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And millions use Safari with no such problems. It's got to be something with your specific setup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.