URGENT! Need help choosing a Mac!

NV2

Reaction score
I decided to get a macbook for video editing instead a windows notebook pc. I was leading towards a Hp Envy but it doesn't have a backlit keyboard and a internal dvd drive. The Dell studio xps 16 and sony F series battery life is too short.

Is the Macbook (White Unibody) or Macbook Pro 13 or Low End Macbook Pro 15 good for heavy programs such as Adobe CS4 Softwares and Filmmaking/heavy video editing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
That isn't urgent. CS4 is fine on either machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Macbook Pro is better than the macbook (hence the 'pro'), but the macbook would still do the job.

The Pro would just do a better job.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It seems that my earlier post was deleted...where I mentioned that there did not seem to be anything URGENT...in the OP's post to warrant the thread title, ""URGENT! Need help choosing a Mac!".

My main point was not to harass the OP...it was to bring attention to the "Forum Courtesy Guidelines":

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/news-community-announcements/17475-forum-courtesy.html

...which states that:

Please title your threads properly. Threads with titles denoting that you are in desperate help, new to the subject or frustrated are unnecessary and usually less likely to be answered.

I'm sure the word "URGENT" in all caps falls into this category as well.

I've been seeing an awful lot of threads lately with the words "Help. Urgent, Desperate" in the title. Granted many of these threads are from new/newer members.

- Nick

Edit: Sorry...I just realized that the OP "NV2" cross-posted this same question in two areas of MacForums (Movies & Video and Apple Notebooks). So my "other"post was not deleted...sorry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
It seems that my earlier post was deleted...

It wasn't deleted, I just realized that he posted this into different sections of the forum. Please don't double post your question to get answers faster; it will discourage others from helping you in the future.

I agree w/ you Nick. All you have to do is read the rules before you post

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It wasn't deleted,

I noticed that as well...that's why I made an "Edit" comment at the end of my post.

I saw that you posted 6 minutes after me...so maybe you didn't see my edit.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Agree with Nick
.... to anyone who reads this, please No URGENT, HELP, NEED HELP, PLEASE HELP, IN TROUBLE, OR THE VOICES IN MY HEAD MADE ME DO IT :D in the thread titles. Not only this is not in keeping with the Forum rules, but really makes it hard for people to search for relevent threads using the Forum Search tool, but also when googling for answers to their questions.

Now, as for which Mac to get, they will all handle the job.
The step up would be the 2.66GHz MBP with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB or the 2.8GHz MBP with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB

Once again, they will all do the job, but if you are going to spend the extra $ on the 15", either of those 2 is the way I would go.

Scroll down to chas_m's post!

Reaction score
i'd get the HP envy if you need it fairly quickly as it seems apple is **** bent on chasing after the nintendo ds and the sony psp market this year with the ipad than refresh the macbook pro range.

or if apple suddenly decide that they have customers who need productivity and refresh the macbook range, then maybe you could pick up a new refreshed macbook pro or an older mbp for a good price?

but if you need it now, get the envy...

C

chas_m

I've decided I am no longer going to post replies in threads that have URGENT (et al) language in the thread title when in fact its not urgent. I only have so much time I can devote to this forum and I don't appreciate my goodwill being abused in this fashion.

I would recommend that the other "most helpful" members of this forum do the same (or only post why you're NOT going to help them). I really do come here looking to help where I can, but the sense of entitlement and other such abuses of the goodwill here ("bumps" after AN HOUR with no reply, etc) is just ridiculous and should be smacked down IMHO.

Nobody here gets paid to do this (that I'm aware of). We invest in this forum both because we like to help and enhance the Mac experience, and because we invest our kharma for the day when we ourselves need some help. It's a volunteer-based resource and there are some people on this forum who REALLY need a reminder of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've decided I am no longer going to post replies in threads that have URGENT (et al) language in the thread title when in fact its not urgent.

I totally agree. Unfortunately...I think most (maybe I'm wrong) of the posters doing this are basically brand new to the forum...and don't realize that they are being a bit "obtuse or rude" with thread titles that contain "Help, Urgent, Desperate, etc".

These new folks most likely haven't read any of the MacForums rules or "stickies"!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I noticed that as well...that's why I made an "Edit" comment at the end of my post.

Yes sorry I missed it. I loaded the page but then left for a few minutes, so I never saw your refreshed post before writing mine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.