File Recovery - Maintain Folder Hierarchy?

Reaction score
I done a bit of searching but can't find quite the answer I'm looking for.

I have a WD 300GB external hard drive that I share my "working" files on with my MB Pro and an iMac. The drive will no longer mount on either system, it seems the filesystem is somehow corrupt. The physical drive seems to be working fine. I can see it in Disk Utility but can not repair or verify the disk.

I'd appreciate any advice on recovering the images (I'm a photographer) and maintaining the folder hierarchy as I have several projects that had not yet been backed up.

Is there a fix to get it to mount I can try, if not what software do you guys suggest to do the recovery?

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please don't post twice.

As for recovering your files, since the drive can be "seen" there's a good chance you can get your photos back intact. I recommend the following software:

Stellar Data Recovery

You can download their trial version for free and use it to see if it will recover your files. If it works, just register the software. They'll send you a registration SN via email which will activate the software. I have used this software to recover photos from a dead drive and it works. Well worth the cost.

There's also Data Rescue II from ProSoft. I have never used it but it's also highly recommended by many folks.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Stellar won't retain folders. Not sure about the other.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wasn't concerned about folder integrity when I used Stellar but if that's important to you, you may have difficulty finding any software that will be able to recover in that manner. Since I have no experience with Data Rescue II, I'll leave that to others to answer.

Regards.

C

chas_m

Have you tried Disk Warrior? It sounds as though the data is basically fine but the directory is hosed. DW will fix that right up. Well worth the money, highly recommended.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.