Setting up an internet connection

Reaction score
Okay.

I'm trying to set-up a network connection for my new MacBook White. I currently have a PC which is on a broadband package, and so I'm trying to set up the Macbook on the same network. But my efforts have failed. Probably due to my lack of IT knowledge.

So, I've tried to link it wirelessly. Obviously, the MacBook gives you the option of which networks to connect with on one of the initial menu screens. Problem is I don't know the required passwords for the (potentially) relevant ones. Is there any way of finding them out?

I've also tried to create a connection through putting a connection set-up file onto a USB disk and trying to open it on the Macbook, but no such luck.

I hope that makes sense. Perhaps it's not necessarily Macbook specific but any help would be much appreciated!

C

chas_m

I'm trying to set-up a network connection for my new MacBook White. I currently have a PC which is on a broadband package

So, what does that mean exactly? Do you have a router? A wireless network already set up?

So, I've tried to link it wirelessly. Obviously, the MacBook gives you the option of which networks to connect with on one of the initial menu screens. Problem is I don't know the required passwords for the (potentially) relevant ones. Is there any way of finding them out?

Um, the only wireless network you should be attempting to connect to is the one you set up yourself, which you would know the password to.

I've also tried to create a connection through putting a connection set-up file onto a USB disk and trying to open it on the Macbook, but no such luck.

No idea what this means.

I hope that makes sense. Perhaps it's not necessarily Macbook specific but any help would be much appreciated!

If you are trying to connect wirelessly, you need to have YOUR OWN wireless network. If you don't have a wireless network, or don't have a wireless router, then you need to plug your MacBook into one of your router's other ethernet ports using an ethernet cord.

If you don't have a router at all, you need to get one -- otherwise only ONE computer can be on the internet at a time. I recommend Apple's routers -- they are more expensive than the competition, but also considerably better and a LOT less hassle to set up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.