Application-document link

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody new of a way to link a document with an application?

What I mean is, every time I open a certain application, I have to open a document at the same time. i wondered if there was a way I could get the document to automatically open when I open the application.

Thanks a lot,
schmollbol

C

chas_m

Why aren't you just double-clicking on the document, which opens the corresponding app AND the document? Is that not what you want?

OP
O
Reaction score
Sorry, I realise my post didn't make it that clear. What I mean is, I use a certain application a few times during a day, and every time I use the application (an accounts based piece of software), I also have to have open a spreadsheet with some numbers in and a word document. Therefore I have to open the application, then open the document in Excel, then open the word document. I wondered if there was a way I could open the application and have the computer automatically open the spreadsheet and word document at the same time, instead of having to open them manually. I know it's lazy, but I do it three or four times a day and am always searching for little shortcuts lol.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So you want this "accounts based" application to open two other applications for you. Not gonna happen with basic commands. Maybe there's a way to do this with AppleScript or Automator. I can't tell you how, but you should look into those methods.

If you want someone else to offer specifics, you should (always!) provide your OS version.

C

chas_m

It should be possible to construct an Applescript or Automator action that, when double clicked, would:
a. Open the accounts app, then
b. Open a specific spreadsheet document in its default app (Excel), then
c. Open a specific Word document in Word

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.