External 120GB Hard Drive recommendations?

K

K_U_T_A

Hi,

I'm looking to get an external hard drive and am hoping that somebody here might offer some advice or opinions on the many that are available.

I'm looking for a reliable and fast external 120GB drive with at least 720RPM priced around $200 (or less preferably)... USB or Firewire is fine...

I am currently considering the LaCie d2 120GB FireWire Drive that is priced around $199.00...

Has anybody had good experience with that drive or have any other recommendation?

Thanks!

K U T A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I bought an external firewire KIT and a drive seperately. I would recommend going this way, so you can use the exnlosure with any drive.

More on this later....

OP
K

K_U_T_A

Emrys said:
I bought an external firewire KIT and a drive seperately. I would recommend going this way, so you can use the exnlosure with any drive.

More on this later....

What do you mean by KIT?
I'll hear more later I guess...

Is there any advantage of an external Firewire hard drive interface over a USB 2.0 transfer interface?

I do a lot of motion graphic work and would be using the drive regularly for projects.

I'm still looking at external 120GB LaCie d2 USB 2.0 Hard Drive and Firewire Hard Drives... wondering if Firewire is better than the USB 2.0 interface...
...I also noticed a nice looking extrernal LaCie 160GB FireWire Hard Drive designed by F.A. Porsche for $200.

any impressions on these drive units?

+ K U T A +

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Check out THIS POST. That is the kit I am talking about.... Works great, and I can upgrade/replace the drive if needed. Of course now I gotta find a FireWire 800 version so that I can continue to be the geek that I am :)

OP
A

Arpdaemon

Lacie

I love my LaCie firewire external hard drive. It is suprisingly fast, If i could I'd cheat on my g/f with it. Soo sweet!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i recommend any western digital or maxtor drive. they work well... i just got a 160GB maxtor 7200 for $100 (after rebates) from Fry's electronics. If you dont have one near you, you can order from their online store, outpost.com . they have some good deals on drives.

OP
D

DesignVHL

My Two Cents

Well, here's my advice. I am only suggesting this because this is what I use, and I've NEVER run into a problem. Only downfall is that it may be a bit higher in price than you want to pay for it. I didn't want to spend the 300 bucks or whatever it was I paid for it at first, but I put it on my Best Buy Credit Card, and I payed it off fairly quickly.

I have an ACOMDATA 7200 External Firewire/USB 120 GB HD. I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT! I have a Mac at home running OS X Panther. But, at work, I use a PC running Windows XP. I am constantly backing up files from both computers and I've never run into a problem. So, I suggest this model and company.

Lemme know what you end up going with! =)

Valerie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.