Connecting your Mac to your TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M
I am not sure if the Mini displayport will transmit audio but the Mini Displayport to DVI cable will work but you will need one of these in order to get audio into the T.V

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just to be clear - I think chas meant a mini-displayport to HDMI cable would not carry audio.

HDMI does carry audio. It is currently the only video cable that does carry audio, although the displayport specification has the capability to do so.

HDMI will not carry audio if you're connecting it to an adapter/port that does not carry audio, which at this time is every other video cable and port. (edit: Beginning with the 2010 Macs, the mini displayport now carries audio)

To the OP, have moved your posting into the sticky thread. Am assuming you want the sound through the TV and not a separate audio system?

Out of time now (off to work), will post back, probably much later today unless someone comes along and gets it right first.

Reaction score
Please note:

There are several different video output types on the last several years of Macs. These can range from ADC, VGA, mini-VGA, DVI, mini-DVI, micro-DVI and mini displayport...

Bobtomay: My apologies for posting in the wrong section before. I am new to Macforums and connecting computers to TVs. Thank you for moving me to this thread :)

I would like to connect my TV Panasonic 720p LCD HDTV Model TC-L32x1 to my 2009 Macbook V10.5.8 2.0 I would like the sound to play through my TV.

I guess I am wondering what the difference is between using:
MiniDP to HDMI cable + HDMI cable
vs.
MiniDP to DVI + DVI to HDMI cable + HDMI cable

Is one better than the other?...and I am not sure what kind of audio cable I need.

What I have now: HDMI cable and a (useless) mini DVI to HDMI cable

I hope you or someone won't mind helping me. Thanks.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This is for ptpro's equipment.

No problem. Wasn't really the wrong section, I'm just starting to try and keep some of these in one place so they'll be easier for not only myself to find them, but others that may come looking also.

From what you've said, you have an early '09 MacBook Unibody with the 2.0Ghz.
This would be the mini displayport on your Mac.

Since you have a spare HDMI cable already, there are a couple of options open to you for the video side.

1. A mini displayport to HDMI adapter (less than $9 here) and use your HDMI cable.

Or keep your HDMI cable for that Blu-Ray player you've been eyeing and get a:

2. Mini displayport to HDMI cable in the length you require (from $9-$13 here).

For the audio with either of the above you will need a 3.5mm mini-plug to RCA cable like this one.

Option 3. Is this handy dandy device - much more expensive - and not really worth it imho in your particular scenario, but some folks will want and/or need this option. Read the description there for an overview.

You'll find the exact picture for your connections on page 45 of the owner's manual and you want to use the HDMI-DVI conversion diagram. Here is a cleaned up version for you depicting the first two options. The 3rd would not have the audio connected to the TV, since they would now be combined via the adapter into the HDMI cable.

(outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac
thanks for your help

I am trying to connect my imac (2008 2.66 intel) to my vizio hdtv (model VX37L HDTV 10A) I notice left and right audio in next to the hdmi connections on the TV, but I also have them on my phillips DVD home theatre system (HTS3555) marked aux in.

My guess was mini-DVI to hdmi with separate audio cables. I'd love to have the 5.1 stereo from the home theatre system. I'm a little overwhelmed - any guidance is welcomed.

Thanks

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For DSFlyman;

You have a mini-DVI on your iMac, so for the video, you'll need an adapter and cable.
First a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter - link
then a HDMI cable - just look for one at this point in time that is 1.3 version in the length you need - I like purchasing from monoprice.com and Amazon

My recommendation on audio will cost a little extra, but this is the only option you have to get 5.1 content to your receiver from your Mac.

First you'll need a mini-toslink to toslink cable (or adapter and cable) - link
This will connect to an "optical to coax" conversion box - link - these units are powered and it will require an available electrical outlet. There are "coax to optical" conversion boxes also. If you decide on a different one, make sure it is "optical to coax".
Add a coaxial audio cable - link - you'll connect this to the "coaxial digital in" on the receiver.

Realize up front that your iMac will not turn two channel material into 5.1 output. It will pass thru 5.1 only from 5.1 material such as a DVD, iTunes HD videos, etc. You'll press the AUX/DI button on the remote and select DI to listen to the iMac on the receiver with this connection.

Your other two options for audio will limit you to 2 channel audio.
For both of them you'll need just a standard 3.5mm mini-plug to RCA cable like this one.

You can take it direct to the TV, in which case you must use HDMI 2 for the video and audio.
Or you can plug it into the AUX on the receiver.

Reaction score
Mini DisplayPort to TV/Projector

Hi,

I've been trawling the net trying (unsuccessfully) to make some sense of the million and one different types of ports, connectors and cables I can use to output picture/video and sound from a MacBook with mini displayport. I'm looking for advice about how to connect the laptop to -

(a) My rubbish old tv, the only inputs are scart and RCA (red/white/yellow plugs)

(b) My roommate's fancy flatscreen (There's an HDMI input)

(c) A projector. I'm not sure what the most common projector input is, nor am I buying this with a specific projector in mind. I present at conferences and am fed up of having to transfer over to a pc! What kind of cable/adaptor should I buy so that there's a pretty good chance it works with a generic projector? (sorry to be vague here, this is more of a 'just in case' purchase!)

So, the challenge is to enable connections from a MacBook (late 2008, aluminum unibody, mini display port) to all the above (not at the same time of course!) at the lowest possible cost and/or least number of cables. Can anyone help me choose which cables I should buy?

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eloisa:

(a) As I'm in the U.S., we're not familiar with the scart connection and I just have not taken the time to become familiar. For connecting any mini displayport output to composite (the RCA red, white and yellow), post # 5 will answer that question.

(b) Please read post 1 and provide the info requested there in order to provide a response that will work on your roommate's specific TV.

(c) practically all projectors still have composite inputs, so the hardware recommendations for (a) will work most of the time. A great many will also have a VGA port. Add a VGA cable to the hardware list in my post #5 and you should be good to go on the vast majority of projectors you run into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5", 3.06 GHz intel Core 2 duo, ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB
I just got a set of mini dvi to vga cables from amazon, as well as a vga to s-video converter. I get some flicker on my tv, but no picture. I tried to save a buck and get a cheap converter, is there any experience with these? Which one should I replace or do I need to replace them both?

Svideo

Mini Dvi to VGA

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is not a converter. That is an adapter. The two are not the same.

All of the converters will be called a converter such as the ones I linked to in post # 5 with an option from both Amazon and monoprice. Those 2 are a couple of the least expensive converters you'll find. You will not find one for under $20 and will find some up to $100. The converters will also require a separate power source. Without going back to check, I believe both of those units use a USB port for powering the device. If you want one that plugs into the wall instead of taking up a USB port, a little googling or checking on Amazon should find one.

Reaction score
Hi i have a 2009 MBP

i have the mini dvi/display port to DVI and a DVI to VGA to hook it up too my LG 19ls4d

the difference with the 4 extra pins in the dvi to vga i have simply folded them out of the way? if this correct?

the display has no reaction although the mac detects that a second screen is present the tv doest display anything?

any help would be amazingly helpful thanks :)

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. No such thing as a mini dvi/display port. Your Mac will be either a mini-DVI or a mini displayport. According to my memory, you should have the mini displayport on any 2009 MBP.

2. No, you can't just go bending pins or breaking them off two different plugs to fit together and expect them to work.

3. See post #5 in this thread. For a VGA connection you can stop reading at item # 1.

Reaction score
Hey there, here's what I've got:

2008 Macbook: Model Indentifier Macbook 4, 1; Model No: A1181

My TV is: an Insignia - NS-L22Q-10A - 22" LCD TV - 720p

For Audio, I'd like to hook everything up to my speakers, which are Bose Companion II multimedia speakers.

I'm planning on using the mini-DVI output to hook it up somehow, but wasn't sure specifically how to do it. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
bobtomay...... you should be getting paid for this :D

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dougthoreson

You have 2 options for connecting the video.

1. HDMI
You'll need a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable.
While the owner's manual says you cannot connect a DVI device to the HDMI 2 (the one on the side), I'm guessing you can since your audio is going direct to the speakers. If you try HDMI 2 and it doesn't work, you'll have to move it to HDMI 1 (the one on the back). It could be that HDMI 2 will not provide a computer with the proper EDID.

2. VGA
You'll need a mini-DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA cable.

You'll need to set the resolution also. Open up System Preferences - Displays. You should have 2 windows open and I'd recommend setting the resolution for the Insignia to 1360 x 768, no matter which connection you use.

For the audio, nothing will change the way you're already connecting to those speakers.

Reaction score
Thanks bobtomay. One last thing: Is there an advantage to going through the HDMI port instead of the VGA?

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks bobtomay. One last thing: Is there an advantage to going through the HDMI port instead of the VGA?

HDMI vs VGA

The simple answer for your 22" screen, use HDMI if you have a free HDMI port. If both your HDMI ports are being used, or will soon be used by other devices, then I'd go with the VGA.

It's not really that simple a question. I could get into 1:1 pixel mapping and all sorts of technical stuff, but I won't. I'll provide the basics of what most really want to know, not only for your specific case, but also in general for future readers as it relates to connecting to a HDTV.

Also of note: I am a hobbyist, not a professional. I personally moved to DVI upon it's initial introduction and believe that maintaining a digital signal throughout the chain is the best course. I have not used/tested a VGA connection in my home for many years, so I can't provide a response based on my own experience related to some issues.

With HDMI, the first issue you'll have to deal with is overscan. (See post #2, item #2.) Any TV that provides the capability of turning overscan off, I'd go with HDMI. Those TVs that do not have this capability built in... for a TV under maybe a 42", I'd recommend VGA... at 42" and over go with HDMI and live with the overscan issue or spend the time creating a custom resolution to take care of it.

For dealing with overscan, it's time to pull out the owner's manual, or just start going through the video menu to find it. Your TV does provide the option of turning overscan off in the Picture menu.

(outdated link removed)

First hurdle resolved.

The next issue for most is the appearance between the two connections. You'll find some users that report no discernible difference between the two connections. However, a lot is going to be dependent on the electronics they used for each port in the individual model. I tend to believe that most of them would be using the better electronics in the HDMI side than they are with VGA. Primarily because a VGA connection for most manufacturers is an after thought along with the fact that VGA is dead.

The vast majority that have actually spent the time comparing them have found several improvements with HDMI over VGA... primarily brighter colors vs washed out colors, deeper blacks and less tearing of the picture while watching fast motion scenes such as sports. However, much of the tearing is going to depend on the quality of the display.

While I have no empirical evidence, I would say the difference in appearance between the two connections would be more noticeable with LCDs and Plasmas built in the last 2-3 years and not so much on the first 2-3 years worth of HDTV models on the market.

For others considering using VGA, before you go out and purchase that new adapter/cable, open up the Owner's Manual and check to see which resolutions your model TV handles through VGA. There are a great many HDTVs on the market that do not accept even the TVs native resolution through VGA and there are some that will only accept a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Hopefully this will give you (and others) a brief rundown, at least enough to make your own decision as to which will work best in your situation.

Reaction score
Thanks again. Last thing, I promise: My brother has the same computer as me and is thinking of getting a 22" Samsung LN22B460B2D, if he gets that one can he also run it as a monitor?

Reaction score
Hi, I have a MacBook Pro 2.8, 15in 2010 and a Samsung UN55B8500 55" 1080p LED HDTV (2009 MODEL) here is the link to the tv info

Support for UN55B8500 55" 1080p LED HDTV (2009 MODEL) SAMSUNG

I would like to hook my macbook to the tv to watch movies, etc. I will probably use the sound on the tv for now because the receiver we have is very old and I am not sure it will have connections for something like this.

Can you help me figure out what I need?

Thanks for your help and your time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.