Connecting your Mac to your TV

Reaction score
cords/equipment for proper connection

Greetings,

I would like to connect my iMac to my HDTV and I need assistance in selecting the proper cords/equipment. Here's what I'm working with:

- iMac 21.5-inch, mid 2010 (mini display-port?)
- Sanyo 37" Class LCD 1080p 60Hz HDTV, DP37819

Also, will I need to adjust any iMac setting preferences to view streaming movies on my television?

Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Hello, I am having trouble connecting my early 2009 imac to my sony bravia KDL-52XBR9 T.V.

I use a mini display port to HDMI to get the video and i use audio Y cable splitter for the audio.

Here is the problem, i can get video but not sound. If i disconnect the HDMI cable from the T.V. then i can get sound. If the HDMI cable and the audio cables are connected at the same time i cant video but no sound. I called Sony and according to them there is no setting on the T.V. that would help.

I wanted to contact apple but it seems they charge to help, so I'm asking here. I spent the last few hours on the internet trying to find a solution.

My theory is that it's some kind of setting in the imac that prevents it from sending audio and video to the tv at the same time. Unfortunately i have not been able to figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's because you're using an HDMI input to the Sony, the Sony thinks both the video and sound are being transmitted at the same time. Your iMac can not do that.

So instead of using an HDMI input cable to the Sony, do this: Buy a mini display port adapter to DVI and use a DVI cable input to the Sony and the audio cables. That will work.

The late model Macs that have HDMI can transmit both video and audio at the same time, your machine can not.

Reaction score
Thank you for the help, but i don't have a DVI connection on the TV.

There is a page in the manual that shows PC connections, for laptop i need touse HD15 to HD15 cable and use mini pin for audio.

The other connection for PC (not laptop) shows the connection trough HDMI, plus the Y cable splitter for audio. That's the set up i was using, so in theory i should be getting audio.

I guess if its not a setting i can change on the mac i will need to connect via HD15 cable and will need a to buy another wire.

If i could i would post a picture of the diagram but i don't know how to do that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just looked at the specs for your TV from the Sony website. It looks like you need to use the PC in D sub and mini stereo connector. That means a different mini display port adapter from your 2009 iMac. I think the mini display port to VGA is what you need but I'm not sure.

Reaction score
It looks less and less like i can just change a setting on the mac to make it work. I looked online again i found this

Getting Started - Locating Inputs and Outputs

#6 is where i have it all of my connections. the HDMI port right above the audio inputs. The description states

"Use the HDMI IN 1 port when connecting DVI equipment with a DVI-to-HDMI cable or adapter (not supplied). Equipment using a DVI connection also requires an additional audio connection using an audio cable connected to AUDIO (L/R)."

So theoretically what i have set up is correct but for some reason it does not transmit audio at the same time as video. Sony told me there is no setting on the tv that can fix this, so it has to be something on the Mac or i need different cables and i really don't want to spend any more money.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe that will work. Putting two adapters together like that will likely result in no video to the Sony.

Reaction score
Toshiba TV / Macbook Pro

I'm almost scared to post this, because I know that everyone is pretty sick of this discussion, but I can’t help but ask for help regardless. I’m trying to connect my Macbook Pro (15 Inch, Mid 2010) to my Toshiba LCD TV (Regza 32AV504D)

Additionally...sorry if I've posted this in an incorrect forum category...am new to this.

Mac OS X
2.4 GHZ Intel Core i5
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I’m connecting them using a Mini Display Port from the Macbook and a HMDI Cable into the TV. The funny thing is that the Macbook seems to detect the TV (in the display options it comes up with Toshiba) however when they are initially connected both the Macbook screen and the TV simply flash blue and then go back to their original screens. I’ve tried various different ways of connecting them (ie. TV off – connect Macbook – and then turn on ect but the result is the same. I’ve followed all relevant online instructions ie/ mirroring and switched between a number of resolutions (with very little logical behind it though) but no change.

I’ve managed to find the TV manual online if this helps.

http://www.toshiba-om.net/LCD/PDF/En...h-Specific.pdf

http://www.toshiba-om.net/LCD/PDF/English/Country_Specific/AV505-323742-English-Specific.pdf

The frustrating thing is, is that HMDI seems to be the only way to connect this particular TV to the Macbook. There are no DVI / VGA inputs for example only scart sockets and component video.

The only other TV we have in the house is also a Toshiba and does the same thing as detailed above. All the wires are new (so essentially untested) but they must be working because the Macbook does detect the TV – it just won’t display.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Post moved to appropriate thread

Reaction score
Audio with screen closed?

Hi,

I have my MBP mini displayport sucessfully connect to my TV hdmi passing through both video and audio when i have the laptop open. When i close the screen the video continues to display on the TV but I lose the audio. Is there any way to pass both video and audio to the TV whilst the laptop is closed??

Thanks,

JC

Reaction score
Connecting Macbook Pro 7,1 to a TV

Hi, I have the following Macbook Pro 7,1, Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 and I am trying to connect it to a Samsung UA-32EH4500 LED for both audio and video purposes and am wondering what cable/s I would require.

The link to the TV specs UA32EH4500 32" Series 4 Direct LED TV - TECH SPECS | SAMSUNGNew Zealand

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi there,

I purchased a HDMI cable (HDMI Mini DisplayPort 1.1a input and HDMI 1.3b output, video resolution 1080p) and connected both laptop and TV. Works great (video/audio), except that the audio has a bit of a delay. Called TV company and they recommended switching to an RGB cable instead of HDMI.

Any recommendation on what to do would be great..

Computer: 2009, MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz
TV: Hitachi L42S504 (Hitachi L42S504 | Owners Guide)
I'd like the sound to come out of my 5.1 A/V receiver

Thank you.

Reaction score
Macbook and Philips standard TV

Hi,

I have a 2007 Macbook 2.0. I want to connect it to a Philips TV model 27PT543S, which is just a standard TV with component inputs. I have a mini-DVI to s-video/component adapter. When connected, the Macbook reads the TV as a display, but I can't find the proper resolution. At some resolutions, I can see the image of my computer screen in the TV, but it is vibrating and moving across the TV. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
My osx 10.5.8 does not detect any display

Hi :D

I bought a screen for my laptop, which is running with osx 10.5.8., and almost always it detects nothing. I am getting mad with it, looking for solutions and i found nothing, only some blogs full of people with the same problem.

Does anybody know how it could be solved?

Thanks a lot :D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We're going to need a bit more specifics here. Which make and model screen? Which Mac laptop is involved? There are several capable of running 10.5.8 and I think there are different video connectors on some models.

If you need help finding this information please post back

Reaction score
iMac to SONY HDTV

May be a dumb question... I am able to hook up my iMac to this TV without issue and I know how to transmit the sound. My question: Is there a way for the TV to act as the ONLY monitor without having to "mirror" the screen on both the imac and the TV? Hope this is a clear question. Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The closest thing I am aware of almost does that. While you have the TV connected to the Mac open the Displays preference pane. Go to the Arrangement section and uncheck the "Mirror Displays"option

Before you leave this pane drag the small white bar representing the menu bar from the square representing the computer to the square representing the TV.

From now on programs will open on the TV unless you move them to the computer screen. The computer screen will continue to show a desktop image though rather than go blank.

Reaction score
2012 MacBook Air to LG 42LD550 TV

Hi there,

I have a 2012 MacBook Air 1.8 running OS X 10.8 Lion, and the LG 42LD550 TV.

I tried connecting the two via a mini display port to hdmi adapter + hdmi cable. When I connect and go to the correct input on the TV, the input becomes available to select. I select it, it tries to connect, but still shows no signal. The MacBook starts blinking blue.

When I go to System Preferences --> Displays, there are no other devices detected. I'm not sure what is wrong - I've tried replugging the cables already. Could somebody please help? Would appreciate it!

Thanks,
Sharon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMaci3, Macbook Pro, iPad Air
mid 2012 macbook pro

Hi, just like everyone else I want to connect my macbook to my tv. I have everything I need, and I actually have an image so my question is very specific. My macbook will only output 800 X 600 and upwards and my tv won't take it (S-Video). What I get is a double image on the tv. Apple support says that I can't do anything about it although the official specs say that I can do 640 x 480. So, how do I force my intel 4000 to display that resolution? I did manage to make the macbook work on clamshell and allow much higher res but not lower. The other option is to make my Sony Triniton allow 800 x 600 but I can't do that.

macbook pro
13/inch mid 2012
2.5 GHz intel core i5
Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB
Mac OS Lion 10.7.4

Sony Triniton 32
KV-32s42
http://www.usersmanualguide.com/sony/television_-_other/kv-32s42

Thank you very much,
Tom Ray

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.