Connecting your Mac to your TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" IMac C2D
I tried running the cable from mac to tv (hdmi2/dvi) then i went to the mac mini via screen share, and it only showed 4 different resolutions, none of them would show up on the tv.

I also tried turning tv on first, then turning mac on first, nothing from either.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, I've been slammed this week with some 12 hr work days and haven't been able to wrap my mind around this one. I'll do some digging and get some info up for you, but it may be Saturday.

Just quickly - You must use HDMI 2 with a computer, which you have now.
Next, go ahead and open up the manual to page 28.
Start with the last item on that page - Image Reset - you may need to dig around further to find out how to do that.
Then start working through that page, including trying the Source button to select PC Mode.

What resolutions is it giving you the option for?
Have you connected this mini with the same adapter/cable to another TV and verified that the cable is indeed working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" IMac C2D
Thank you so much, I'll try those things, and no I have not tried another tv, but I will.

And btw, please don't think I was rushing you, just posting what I had tried.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" IMac C2D
Well I tried the mini on my samsung, my olevia, and my LG, and nothing from any of them, so I guess I'll be contacting monoprice about a replacement, should I just get a replacement of the same cable? or is there a better option?

I like the box that converts the video and audio into one hdmi signal, but I see that it isn't capable of 5.1.

What is your suggestion??

*edit* I noticed this, while it doesn't say that it does support 5.1, I see nowhere where it does NOT support 5.1, as opposed to this one which I am guessing uses USB for audio.

Has anyone tried the 5.1 toslink converter? or should I stick with seperate cables.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You did make sure you changed the input on the TVs right? Sorry, have to ask.
Assuming you did, yep cables are always the first thing to check. As for a replacement?

Head to the Specifications tab at that first link and you'll find:

Supports uncompressed 2 channel and 5.1 channel audio such as LPCM.
Supports compressed 5.1 channel audio including DTS and Dolby Digital.

If you're running the HDMI to an A/V receiver that's acting as the switch, that'd be ideal.

However, if you're listening to the audio from the TV, you only have two speakers in the TV anyway. Not a whole lot of point in sending them a 5.1 signal. I'd probably go ahead and save the extra $15 and just get the cheaper one. Then when you're ready to connect the sound to a separate receiver, connect a toslink cable direct to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" IMac C2D
I actually am trying to connect it my receiver, a yamaha rx-v665, but I was going straight to the tv for now to try to simplify things just to get it working. So I guess I should get the 50$ unit?

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you have a similar setup to mine, allowing the receiver to do the switching. In that case, I'm with you. I'd get the higher $ one with the 5.1 also. I doubt any AV receiver has separate audio available with their HDMI inputs, so that adapter would be the way to go.

Reaction score
No audio from iMac to LG Plasma

Hi there.

I am trying to connect my iMac to my LG TV. The Owners manual can be found here: http://us.lge.com/download/product/file/1000001586/60PC1D.pdf

My TV is an LG Plasma, 42PC3D - 4U (according to the sticker on the back) which has 1 HDMI/DVI input. I have a firewire - HDMI adapter that is connected to the computer, and through which I have an HDMI cable connected to the TV which transfers the video but not the audio to the TV.

My iMac's info is as follows:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Year: 2009 (was part of the first shipment of this generation of iMac).

I would like the sound to come through the TV speakers. I also have access to a component audio (red and white) with a headphone jack cable which I though might solve my problem, but I don't understand why the HDMI cable doesn't carry both audio and video. This was how I had my DVD player/surround sound unit connected to the TV (granted, it was also an LG unit).

Any help would be appreciated!

-CanaDan

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CaNaDan:

There is no such thing as a firewire to HDMI adapter. Since the video port on your iMac is a "mini displayport" or "mdp", I'll have to assume you are using a mdp to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable. Your HDMI cable cannot carry audio if the port is not providing audio.

The good news, your Mac will indeed pass audio through it's mdp. The bad news, there were no adapters or cables that also passed audio until 4-5 months after that model was released. So, if you bought the adapter during that period of time, or bought one of those adapters later, then you've got an adapter that does not pass audio.

If you happen to have an adapter that will pass audio, have you gone into System Preferences - Sound and selected the TV as the ouput? If this works, you can ignore the rest of the post.

If that didn't do it, you have a couple of options: replace the adapter you're using or add a separate audio cable.

You can grab this adapter.
Or get a stereo miniplug 3.5mm cable like this one and plug it in to the RGB/DVI audio port according to the diagram on pg 26.

20100822-pcxhkyeyytdact9xm4r4qkqi8i.png

Reaction score
Bobtomay:

Thank you very much for your help! I did buy the adapter at the same time, so that is likely the issue (when I go into System Preferences - Sound - My TV is not listed as an output option).

I will try getting a different adapter, which should solve all my issues, but if not, I will also try that stereo mini-plug cable.

Thanks again, I've been scratching my head for months thinking I had everything I needed! (which effectively I did, but the merchant obviously did not know that the adapter did not transmit audio, as he seemed to think it would work fine for what I wanted to do!).

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just make sure any adapter you get states it will pass audio of have user reviews stating it works. If it doesn't say it, it doesn't.

The one I linked to there at Amazon is the cheapest I've seen. There are 3 other adapters I've found - all of them at $30 and up.

Reaction score
Okay, So I've tried the pieces of advice in the 2nd post but am still having no luck. I just want to be sure before I try new cords or just give up in general.

I have a Toshiba 32C100u hdtv flatscreen with 2 hdmi ports.

I bought a mini display port to dvi and a dvi to hdmi cable for my aluminum 13 inch macbook.

I plug them in and my mac's screen flashes blue, but then the tv says "no connection".

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Is there a known list of adapters that support.. "Mini DisplayPort to HDMI w/ Audio" for the Mid-2010 model computers?
The only two that I know for sure support audio is the Kanex and Moshi adapters.

Kanex iAdapt HDMI V2 - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter w/ Audio Support

Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support - Apple Store (U.S.)

I checked MonoPrice, and there adapter clearly stats it does not support audio.
PS: Please forgive me if there was already a list. But if there isn't, then the two listed above could be an option for someone also looking for one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I found this article on apples site but it's odd that the Griffin unit is also listed. The description for the Griffin say's it does not support audio, and so does a few reviews.

Mac computers: About HDMI adapters

Also, i looked into reviews of the Moshi unit, and found a several people had problems with there HDMI cables. I wonder if a certain version cable is required?
So I got a little anxious and ordered the Moshi adapter, hopefully it works well. Review will be made once it arrives. :)

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
silvrsable:

What options are available when you open up System Preferences - Displays?
Have you tried changing the resolution output to the monitor there?
Which ones have you tried?
Have you tried both of the HDMI ports?

TomTom:

Sorry, could have saved you a few bucks if you'd been willing to wait a few hours. Amazon has a working adapter under $10 when you know which one to get. It's sort of hidden within another "connect your Mac to your TV thread", so I'll get some links up in the adapter portion of this thread. You shouldn't have any problems with the Moshi adapter though, and it's likely to be a little better quality also, so no worry.

The Griffin adapter came out prior to Apple supporting audio through mdp. At the time the description went up on Apple it did not support audio because no Mac supported audio. It did meet the spec required for audio though and will work with the new Macs. The description on the Apple site just has never been modified. And, I don't think that even Griffin was aware that their adapter carried audio for some months after the new Macs started shipping because there was no word on any adapter supporting audio (incl'g from Griffin) for several months after the first iMacs that supported audio shipped.

edit:
I have added the listing in Post # 4 of the mdp adapters that carry audio.

Reaction score
When I hit "detect displays", nothing shows up except for the color lcd (the monitor for my laptop)

I have tried both hdmi ports.

Thank you so much for helping me out and answering my questions

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try moving that window aside to see if there was another hiding behind it?

Also, while you have everything connected and the TV on to the correct HDMI port, try re-booting the computer.

Reaction score
Can't get "Built-n HDMI Output" to show in Sound

I have a recent MacBook Pro and am using it to connect to a Vizio LCD using Moshi's Mini Displayport to HDMI Adapter.

I confirmed in the Macbook "About" that it is supposed to support HDMI audio out, but when I hook it up to the TV, I only get video no audio. When I go to "Sound" there is just the option for built in audio, no HDMI Output option.

Any advice on what might be going wrong? Thanks!

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please provide the processor name and speed of your MBP.

I would also be interested in seeing a screen shot showing what indicates it has HDMI audio.

Reaction score
More info on my HDMI audio output issue

See the attached screen shot for the HDMI audio output.

The processor is a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. It is only a couple months old.

Thank in advance for any ideas!

Screen shot 2010-09-06 at 9.23.58 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.