Connecting your Mac to your TV

Reaction score
My setup

Here's my setup Bobtomay, and thanks again for starting this thread:
MacBook Pro 1Q 2011 release, "Sandy Bridge" Core i5, 4 Gigs of RAM currently.
MBP8.1

Heres the HDTV:
Sharp Aquos LC-32SH12U
HDMI ports: 2

Am thinking about getting an Apple TV box soon, that all depends. i would like to be able to connect wirelessly to the Aquos, with an Apple product preferably, will consider 3rd Party.

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this question has been answered already. I did a forum search, but nothing turned up.

I have an LG LED tv, hooked up to my mac mini via HDMI cable. Everything is peachy keen, I can stream video via Netflix, Hulu, etc., and all is fine.

But when I play music through iTunes, after a certain amount of "inactive" time (in which I'm not on the computer doing things) the monitor will go into a "no signal" sleep mode. The problem with this is it cuts the music off. If I go to the keyboard & tap a key, it comes back and the music continues.

I can NOT find a way to shut off this sleep mode in either system preferences OR in the monitor settings. It doesn't do it during video streaming, only with music.

fix? Please?!? :-z

What happens is run Visualizer in iTunes while you listen to the music?

Reaction score
macbook 4,1 2006 connect to av receiver

I have a mac book 4,1 2006. I would like it to connect to my yamaha rx v367 a/v receiver preferably thru hdmi in video and audio. My TV is connected to the receiver via 1 hdmi cable. My DVD and cable goes thru the receiver and i would like to do the same with my computer. I was reading the previous post and at one time you recommended to use a adapter sold at mono price product ID 5969. Can i use that or i have no choice but to use 2 separate cables for audio and video.

thanks

Reaction score
I have a 2010 macbook 10.6.8 with a NVIDIA GeForce 320M and I'm trying to hook up with a samsung tv using HMDI and a moshi minidisplay port to HDMI adapter w/audio. I get feedback mode not supported. Any ideas?

Reaction score
connecting macbook to tv

I have a 2010 macbook 10.6.8 with a NVIDIA GeForce 320M and I'm trying to hook up with a samsung tv using HMDI and a moshi minidisplay port to HDMI adapter w/audio. I get feedback mode not supported. Any ideas?

Reaction score
MacBook hookup to old Sony TV pains

Hi. I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help. I'm trying to watch streaming Netflix from Macbook 6,1 to Sharp TV model 27F543. The Sharp has no VGA, just this: http://www.racketboy.com/videocables/composite-jack.jpg

My research suggested I should pick one of these up: Amazon.com: AGPtek® Computor Laptop PC MAC Monitor VGA to TV AV Composite RCA S-Video Converter Box Convertors Adaptors (Dark Blue): Electronics

I use the video port on the adaptor to the video port on my TV, and then audio from my MacBook headphone port to the audio ports on the TV.

The audio is fine, but I can't get the video to work. The adaptor has a couple of switches on it that, when set correctly, show a test pattern...when it shows anything at all. I think the video port on the adaptor may be screwed up; I've used different video cords and gotten the same result: I have to jiggle the cord to see the test pattern, and the connection seems to be tenuous.

I could send the adaptor back to have it replaced, but I don't want to stare at the test pattern. I'd like to know whether I have a damaged version of the correct solution or whether I need to get something else. Or is this a software issue; maybe I need to mess around with my display settings?

Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Confused

hello - I have read through all the info in these threads and am still a bit confused! :Confused:

Does anyone know what cable I need to connect to my TV, my set up is below - any help great fully received!

Late 2011 macbook pro
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
4GB

Tv is an LG
42LH2000, year 2009
:Blushing:

Reaction score
Some mini display port to HDMI adaptors simply do not work. I bought 2 that were defective. Finally I bought one recommended by the forum the Monoprice and it worked.

Reaction score
help

I have a New macbook (bought january of this year) I am horrible with technology and just want to watch my baseball from my computer to me tv. I bought thishttp://www.bestbuy.com/site/Eforcity+-+Mini+Displayport+to+DVI+Male/Female+Adapter+with+Free+DVI+to+HDTV+Component+Adapter/4598193.p?id=1218492503571&skuId=4598193&st=mini%20dvi&cp=3&lp=4

and use my hd cables, it doesn't work. When I went into preferences and hit "detect displays" nothing happened. What am i doing wrong.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have a New macbook (bought january of this year) I am horrible with technology and just want to watch my baseball from my computer to me tv. I bought thishttp://www.bestbuy.com/site/Eforcity+-+Mini+Displayport+to+DVI+Male/Female+Adapter+with+Free+DVI+to+HDTV+Component+Adapter/4598193.p?id=1218492503571&skuId=4598193&st=mini%20dvi&cp=3&lp=4

and use my hd cables, it doesn't work. When I went into preferences and hit "detect displays" nothing happened. What am i doing wrong.

Take that back where you bought it. There is no such thing as a DVI to component "adapter" that works with anything except a few old ATI video cards that put out the component signal via their DVI port - mainly relegated to their "All-in-Wonder" cards from about 10-12 years ago.

As far as I am aware there does not exist a single video card with drivers for OS X, Windows or other that puts out a component signal via it's displayport.

Displayport - digital; component - analog.

Head to monoprice.com and grab their mini-displayport to HDMI and connect to your TV via HDMI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook6,1 2.26 GHz
this seems like the thread to get an answer

i have a MacBook6,1 2.26 GHz and an emerson LTDN42V68US tv and im having trouble with the no sound aspect in the tv. I went with the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter which I understand doesn't support sound. I tried a headphone jack into RCA audio cable but im not sure if i just have it set up wrong or if theres a better way to do it. if you could help in any way I would really appreciate it. i ultimately want to play the sound through the tv obviously haha.

Reaction score
No sound from macbook hdmi adapter to apex dgital

I have a macbook with a mini dvi to hdmi adapter. I know this port doesnt carry sound. I bought a headphone to red and white port on side of tv. I have an Apex Digital ld220rm flat screen. I am not getting sound out of tv. I have listed the type of macbook I have below.

Your help is appreciated.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.4f12
Serial Number (system): 4H6330FYU9B

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
kutekat73

Sorry, but I have never even given a 2nd glance at Apex TVs. Since they have elected not to place a copy of their owner's manuals online - you're going to need to do the work of opening your owner's manual for the TV and do some reading at the connections section.

Just because the composite audio port happens to sit next to the HDMI port, that does not provide a conclusion that your TV is capable of using an analog audio connection simultaneous with it's HDMI input. On all of the brands of TVs that I have dealt with, the analog audio connection that does work with an HDMI input has "always" been on the back of the set. Not to say there's not one out there, but I have not seen a single brand put an analog connection on the side connections that works with it's HDMI input.

So, it's time to start reading - go back to post # 3 and read it again so you know what you're looking for in the manual - or call Apex support at (877) 833-1888, from 7am to 9pm (CST) daily. And good luck with that one would be my guess.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
spoolin518:

Once again - Emerson, and the company that makes this TV - Hisense - same model number for theirs - have both deemed that it is not worthwhile to put the owner's manual online. So, as in the post above, you're going to have to find your owner's manual, open it up, look for the section I've outlined in post # 3 and see if it permits a separate audio input in conjunction with it's HDMI ports. On a $400 42" screen - I sort of doubt it.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kutekat and spoolin:

If your TV will not accept separate audio, then you'll need a separate converter box like this. That box will combine the DVI and audio input into the single HDMI out.

Reaction score
help

Thanks for this thread - I've got a problem I've been tearing my hair out over.

I recently (within the past few months) bought a Haier TV with the intention of hooking it up to my iMac and watching Netflix, Hulu, DVDs, etc. on the TV as an external monitor. I bought a cheap mini displayport-to-HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable, and the setup worked beautifully for about a day. The next day it didn't work anymore. Everytime the TV turned on, was set to the right input, or I re-plugged in the adapter my iMac would flash the blue screen I associate with an external monitor being connected, but the TV would show "no signal". I tried every solution I could find online, including a total rollback of my iMac to the day before I got the adaptor. Nothing worked. I figured it was the adapter and that I got what I paid for, which is to say a pretty crummy adapter.

After a bit of time I broke down and bought another adapter, this time a rocketfish from Best Buy (I know, more expensive than I could have gotten online, but I really wanted one fast). That one worked for a few days. Then the same deal - iMac flashes blue screen, but no signal on TV, nothing in the computer displays panel. But here's the kicker - it doesn't always not work. Sometimes I could get a signal by re-plugging the adapter and the HDMI cable, sometimes not. Sometimes it just worked if I turned on the the TV. Sometimes switching the TV's "input" back and forth worked. But there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, which is what frustrates me the most. What miraculously works one day doesn't work the next. Even if I had to do something esoteric every single time to get it set I'd be okay with it - I just can't seem to find anything that will reproducibly get my TV and computer to recognize each other! Any guidance would be hugely appreciated.

I'm also not sure if it matters, but sometimes when my iMac and TV played nicely, the background on the TV would be gray. Sometimes it would be the default galaxy picture instead. There didn't seem to be any pattern to that either.

Here's my setup:

Early 2009 iMac (9,1)
2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB

TV is a Haier
Model L32D1120
manual here (it's a download link - couldn't find one to view online)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Thanks for this thread - I've got a problem I've been tearing my hair out over.

I recently (within the past few months) bought a Haier TV with the intention of hooking it up to my iMac and watching Netflix, Hulu, DVDs, etc. on the TV as an external monitor. I bought a cheap mini displayport-to-HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable, and the setup worked beautifully for about a day. The next day it didn't work anymore. Everytime the TV turned on, was set to the right input, or I re-plugged in the adapter my iMac would flash the blue screen I associate with an external monitor being connected, but the TV would show "no signal". I tried every solution I could find online, including a total rollback of my iMac to the day before I got the adaptor. Nothing worked. I figured it was the adapter and that I got what I paid for, which is to say a pretty crummy adapter.

After a bit of time I broke down and bought another adapter, this time a rocketfish from Best Buy (I know, more expensive than I could have gotten online, but I really wanted one fast). That one worked for a few days. Then the same deal - iMac flashes blue screen, but no signal on TV, nothing in the computer displays panel. But here's the kicker - it doesn't always not work. Sometimes I could get a signal by re-plugging the adapter and the HDMI cable, sometimes not. Sometimes it just worked if I turned on the the TV. Sometimes switching the TV's "input" back and forth worked. But there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, which is what frustrates me the most. What miraculously works one day doesn't work the next. Even if I had to do something esoteric every single time to get it set I'd be okay with it - I just can't seem to find anything that will reproducibly get my TV and computer to recognize each other! Any guidance would be hugely appreciated.

I'm also not sure if it matters, but sometimes when my iMac and TV played nicely, the background on the TV would be gray. Sometimes it would be the default galaxy picture instead. There didn't seem to be any pattern to that either.

Here's my setup:

Early 2009 iMac (9,1)
2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB

TV is a Haier
Model L32D1120
manual here (it's a download link - couldn't find one to view online)

I didn't see where/if you tried a new HDMI cable. I had similar issues with my arrangement, and replacing the cable did the trick
Monoprice.com has great prices on HDMI cables.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.