Connecting your Mac to your TV

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Cooke159:

It looks like this may be one I don't have an answer for.

It appears that you have the proper connections made on the TV. The manual is sort of ambiguous since they have a single manual for 19 different models and then have things listed which only work on a few of those models.

Question - are the HDMI ports on your TV labeled "HDMI/DVI"?

Make sure you have turned the audio up considerably while you're testing and back down prior to changing inputs.

Think the first thing I'd try is to verify the cable and the port actually work: while you're watching a movie or something you know has sound, try changing the input to the 'RGB-PC' and see if you get sound there. Make sure the volume is maxed or close to maxed on the iMac. Slowly turn the volume up on the TV. Make sure you turn it back down before you change inputs again.

I found nothing that indicates there is any manual switching you need to do via the menus to change from digital to analog audio. It should just work, but it's worth prowling the menus.

Highly unlikely that the audio cable is faulty, but the next thing I'd try would be another cable - and make sure you unplug and replug the cable you have - even if it looks good.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
ptpro:

Open up your owner's manual to page 28 & 29. You need to open up the Audio menu on the TV, head for the HDMI 3 and change it from Digital to Analog.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well im going to have this sticky at close hand as i have one more pay day and ill be purchasing my Panasonic 50" Viera Full HD 1080p .... Woohooo and then to sit back and watch Avatar as if i was at the Cinema itself .... Thanks bob :)

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You getting their new 3D model or just the standard plasma?

I have their current model plasma 42" and 58". They're the best looking sets I've owned. Got the 58" so cheap, I sprung for the calibration on it. It was a waste of money. The adjustments made on it in the service menu were from zero to minuscule. Couldn't see the difference from my own calibration and no adjustments in the regular menu. I can't discern any difference between the two of them walking from one room to the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You getting their new 3D model or just the standard plasma?

Just the standard ATM bob. Mind you for a extra $1500 i could get a 46" 3D, but im not one to have the latest and greatest.
As with the iPad i will wait a while and hopefully see the price come down and for them to iron out any bumps.
And im in total agreeance with you, in that they are a nice looking TV.

LOL never thought i would be ever talking about a TV like this though ;P

5 days and counting

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm Danielle. I'm new...

So heres the deal... I just got a (new to me) Macbook computer, and an Apple Cinema Display so far I am happy as can be, however; the macbook uses what I guess is DVI, and the Apple Display has DisplayPort. I also found out so far that I can’t connect my apple TV (have had this for a year, and it rocks!) to the cinema display as well. Any ideas? I thought this display was supposed to be pretty amazing, but so far it pretty useless... :( :( :(

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Frankly, I'd take the Cinema Display back where you got it.

I "assume" this is the newest 24" LED Cinema Display? It has been presented and advertised specifically for use with the new Macs that have a mini displayport output.

It's going to cost you a minimum $150 for a converter plus whatever adapter/cable. If you're not in the market for a new Mac, take it back and get a monitor that will work with your system.

If you want to keep it and go for the cabling required, you'll need to let us know specifically which Mac you have. There has never been a MacBook with DVI. That was limited to the MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz i5 4GB... iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G
Connecting MacPro to multiple monitors

Hi,

In the office I have designed a new Mac setup for the R&D team. By default my company only use Dell so this is the first Mac in the company (global company with 70,000+ employees). I am part of the IT team on site and have hit a wall... I'll try to explain as best as I can but please ask for clarification if required....

I bought the guys a MacPro (2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 11GB DDR3 | OS X 10.6.3 | 640GB HDD & 1TB HDD) which is connected to an Apple 24" LED Screen. I have installed a second graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GT120) so that I can have a second 22" monitor connected side by side (standard Dell 22" monitor).

Now I also want to connect the MacPro to a TV unit to allow for presentations, demos etc. The TV is a Samsung 42" HD Plasma TV, documentation here. I have also connected a Dell Desktop to the TV via the VGA port and 3.5mm audio cable. This machine is on our internal network (Mac will not be located on network) so email, shared network drives etc can be accessible. I also have a 17" MBP (2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB | 500GB HDD) connected to the TV monitor via the MiniDisplay Port to HDMI Connector. This is connected to HDMI/DVI port on the TV.

The problem I am having is that I can't get the MacPro to the TV. It is working on the dual screen no problem (Mac LED & Dell Monitor). The configuration I have tried is:
DVI / Audio Convertor to HDMI. I have a DVI Cable connecting the MacPro to the convertor and a regular 3.5mm audio jack from the MacPro to the Convertor. Upon switching on the TV to HDMI extension 1 the message that appears is "Mode Not Supported"...

Side Note: If I plug a HDMI cable directly into a HDMI to DVI adapter, picture appears fine, but no audio... As soon as I start using the convertor box, I get the problem....

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz i5 4GB... iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G
Forgive the double post

Please forgive the double post but I sorted my issue!

The TV's HDMI ports were very specific... HDMI 1 was for HDMI only but I had the HDMI/DVI connection plugged into that one and vice-versa! So I simply swapped them out

And at times I wonder why I am in IT at times...

Thanks in advance for not bullying me about my stupidity!!:D

Reaction score
Frankly, I'd take the Cinema Display back where you got it.

I "assume" this is the newest 24" LED Cinema Display? It has been presented and advertised specifically for use with the new Macs that have a mini displayport output.

It's going to cost you a minimum $150 for a converter plus whatever adapter/cable. If you're not in the market for a new Mac, take it back and get a monitor that will work with your system.

If you want to keep it and go for the cabling required, you'll need to let us know specifically which Mac you have. There has never been a MacBook with DVI. That was limited to the MacBook Pro.

Unfortunately teking the cinema display back is not an option, I didn't buy it. on the CNET forum someone suggested using the ALTONA DP200. I looked everywhere and I can find any pictures of it in use. People have told me that all converters make your picture look pretty bad. Any one ever use one of these things? I also found someting on google news about a converter called the HD620 from the same company that goes from HDMI to the new apple plug. So right now I've got a Macbook (DVI) an AppleTV (HDMI) and this **** Apple display (mini displayport). what the ****:(:(:(:(:(:Angry-Tongue:

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then you're looking at needing one of the Atlona converters. Belkin is suppose to have one on the way also, but I haven't seen it yet.

What you'll need is this one. As I said above $150.

Or this one for the AppleTV. It was never designed to be connected to a computer monitor (which the Cinema Display is) but to a TV.

Note: Merged threads. No reason to start a new thread.

Edited to add:
Also, if you need to know specifically what all cabling you need to connect the Mac to this display, you still need to let us know which Mac you have. You won't even need that converter if your Mac has a mini display port. Think I was just assuming from your post above that it does not.

Reaction score
Can't get audio to my TV

Hey guys,
I am new to the forum. So if I am posting to the wrong place I apologize. I am having trouble getting audio when I connect my MacBook Pro to my TV. I am getting a nice picture using the HDMI cable. And I also have 3.5mm RCA cables plugged in. My TV is a Dynex: DX-26L150A11. My MacBook Pro is a 15 inch. I bought it about 9 months ago. I am sorry I could not find the owner's manual for my TV. I tried looking everywhere on the web. Also, I apologize for not knowing the proper name for my computer. If anyone could help, that would be great.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome aboard tyson.

Where is the audio plugged into the TV?

A 3.5mm (or mini) plug and an RCA plug are two different things.

You need to be using the PC audio input which is a 3.5mm stereo mini port. You need a cable like one of these (outdated link removed) and plug it in here:

(outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Sorry, these are the 2 things I have:

1. PREMIUM 3FT 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable - Gold Plated
2. Mini DisplayPort Male to HDMI Male 32AWG Cable - 6ft

will they work, or do I need the PC audio input?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac 21.5, iphone 3G, ipod nano
Hi, I have an iMac 21.5 December 2009 connected permanently to the TV to watch DVDs, downloaded films etc. usually via front row. I have a Sony Bravia KDL-32U3000 (KDL-32U3000 (KDL32U3000) : TV & Home Cinema : Sony) and the iMac is currently connected via the mini display port to HDMI and the audio via a standard audio cable via the headphone jack. Obviously this is a little inconvenient as every time I want to use Skype, watch a youtube video on the Mac I have to disconnect the audio cable. So I am trying to find a solution where I can leave the TV permanently connected to the Mac and I can choose which Audio comes out through which audio output. i.e. Quicktime or Frontrow through audio output and all else through inbuilt speakers. Is there any way of doing this?

I have also heard there are mini display port to HDMI cables that now transfer audio as well. Where can you get these? and would this work as a solution? i.e. would that cable transfer the video and audio for just things using the mini display port or would it output all audio?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am worried that continually plugging and unplugging the audio jack is going to eventually break it. I have read the whole of this thread but I am still quite unsure of how to solve the problem. Thanks a lot

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tyson:
I read what you have. I have already posted what you need.

To find your owners manual, you'll need to learn how to search the web...
type 'Dynex' into the google search field - press enter
click on the number 1 hit which is aptly called 'Dynex Consumer Electronic Products'.
click on 'Support and Service'
Type your model number into the box and press 'Search'
select the language you want next to 'User Manual'
if you selected 'English', you'll want to read page 9.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
richardclarke:

No, similar to pretty much every receiver on the market, once you plug headphones in, all other audio outputs are disabled.

It wouldn't do you any good to find such a cable. The mdp port on your Mac does not support audio.

You could try some third party USB sound card. Which one and as to whether any of them allow for software selection of which port to use I really don't know.

I will say that while it may be possible to wear out the port by stressing the connection, I have never seen this happen on any of my personal devices over the 40 years that I've been purchasing electronics. Don't know that anyone could plug and unplug cabling any more than I did on my early '70s models reel to reels.

Reaction score
thanks again for your time

Ok, I am an idiot. Your directions were perfect. It was very easy to locate the manual. And it described on p. 9-11 how to connect. Which is exactly how you posted it in the diagram earlier. Thank you for your patience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.