Connecting your Mac to your TV

Reaction score
my tv recognizes my computer but will only show my wallpaper pic. Any ideas?

Hi. I have a 2006 Macbook Pro model #A1150. I have a DVI to HDMI cable. I have a RCA Scenium HDTV with the HDMI input on the back. When I plug the Macbook into the TV using the cable my screen page/wallpaper comes up on my tv. So it seems like everything is hooked up and working but I cant get anything else to show up on the TV except the wallpaper. When I go to other pages on my Macbook it does not show up on the TV It just shows my wallpaper.I tried detecting display under system preferences like you mentioned and the box actually came up on the tv with all the resolution options but I tried a couple and still cant get anything besides my wallpaper to show on the TV. Got any ideas? Im trying to get my netflix account page to show up on the TV so I can watch videos on my TV.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
See Post # 2 in this thread - Item # 3. Post back if you have any other questions.

Reaction score
  • I have a 2006 MacBook 2.0G
  • Trying to connect it to Samsung LN-S3241D TFT LCD Television.
  • Would like sound through TV.

Using mini-DVI to HDMI connector in MacBook with HDMI cable to TV.

Problem encountered: The TV does not recognize any HDMI connection from the MacBook and the MacBook doesn't recognize the Display setting of my TV. Tried this on another TV (Sony Bravia KDL40EX500) and the same problem.

Please help:|

Thank you.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
macbooknewb:

That particular model Samsung, you can use either one of the two HDMI ports on the rear. For audio, you will need a stereo mini-plug to RCA cable and it will connect to the DVI-In / Audio right next to the HDMI ports.

Have you tried the 'Detect Displays' button in Displays properties?

"Assuming" that you have changed the input to the correct port the Mac is attached to on each of the TVs and the connections are good and tight; you either have a bad port on the Mac, a bad adapter or a bad cable.

About the only way to trouble shoot from that point is to have extra known working adapter and cable to switch out.

Where did you get the mini-DVI to HDMI adapter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz RAM
Hi Bobtomay~
I bought my iMac in February of this year. It is a 21" 3.06. I would like to connect my 32" Westinghouse SK-32H540S (http://www.abt.com/images/products/PDF_Files/sk32h540s_manual.pdf). I would like the sound to run through the TV.
I know the manual shows a diagram of how to hook it up but I dont trust it cause I have no clue if it works the same for a mac and since I plan on buying my parts of eBay (or somewhere else just as inexpensive) I'd like an opinion of someone who knows what they are doing before I do. Also, I would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible, so do I have more than one option? Can you give me a list of every component I need so Im not missing anything? I have no clue where to start on my own! Thank you!! I so much appreciate your help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
edit:
Take that back - you could grab one of these adapters - link
This will combine your audio and video into the HDMI signal.

Just as a testimonial, I actually have this adaptor so I could only have one cable running to my TV and it works perfectly.

Of course now that my new TV has Netflix, Vudu, Youtube, and Hulu, I don't really need it any more lol :)

Reaction score
Hi there,

A question from the Netherlands (My excuse if the spelling is not correct in this post :)).

Yesterday i received my MiniDisplayPort tot HDMI Adapter from Ebay (Mini Display Port DP Male to HDMI Female Cable Adapter - eBay, Apple Accessories, Apple Computers Components, Computing. (Eindtijd 13-jul-10 08:56:44 CEST)) for usage on my MacBook Pro (13" August 2009). To use it with my new tv (Sony KDL-26EX302).

Connected the adapter to an HDMI cable that was in the tv en than put the Adapter into my Mac. The mac gives the blue screen (just like it always does when connecting a extra monitor). But i can't get a image on the tv, it simply stays black. Scanned the hdmi ports, tv doesn't see the Mac (but it does see the ps3, that's connected to another hdmi port on the tv).

Ive tried the following options:
  • Other hdmi port -> No result
  • Other hdmi cables -> (AudioQuest Forest Black and a cheap one from Ebay)
  • Other tv (Sony KDL40NX700FTI) -> Gives an image
  • Searched the internet for this problem wit the KDL-26 -> Found nothing.

Both the adapter and the ebay cable are 1.3b, the AudioQuest cable is 1.4b (last one is as far as i could find, don't know for sure :|)

Since i bought the adapter for usage on my own the tv (The Sony KDL-26EX302) i don't care if it works on the other tv, it has to work on mine.

Does someone know how to fix this problem, cause it's driving me nuts.

Reaction score
macbooknewb:

Have you tried the 'Detect Displays' button in Displays properties?

"Assuming" that you have changed the input to the correct port the Mac is attached to on each of the TVs and the connections are good and tight; you either have a bad port on the Mac, a bad adapter or a bad cable.

About the only way to trouble shoot from that point is to have extra known working adapter and cable to switch out.

Where did you get the mini-DVI to HDMI adapter?

Yes, I have tried the Detect Display buttons. Does nothing.

The problem is that the input doesn't even recognize that there is a connection made. I have tried connecting an DVD player using HDMI in those inputs to ensure they work (and they do). That rules out the cable and the TV. The remaining two issues (port on Mac and bad adapter) I will test now with another laptop. Will get back to you on that.

I got the cables / adapters from monoprice.

Thanks.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbooknewb:

I would be suspecting the adapter since you have tried two different TVs including that Sony. Samsung has been notorious for not passing the correct EDID info to work properly with all computers. This problem reported with regard to Sony is much more rare.

danzbananz:

The manual is correct - it is no different for a Mac than it is with any other device with the same ports. You will notice that it does say it may not work with a DVI to HDMI device at the bottom of page 18. This indicates to me, that they are already aware of the TV not passing fully compliant EDID info to all devices.

In light of that fact, you might want to spend some time googling your TV and HDMI to see if you can find anyone that has done so successfully. Or, just go ahead and use VGA instead.

Option 1 with HDMI, you need a mini displayport to HDMI cable in whatever length you want and a stereo mini-plug to RCA cable for audio. Get both at monoprice or Amazon - I would never suggest ebay for cables. Get them from a place where if you happen to be one of the unfortunate that gets one that doesn't work there is limited hassle at getting a replacement.

Option 2 with HDMI - the above is the cheapest route. However, beginning with your model iMac, the mini displayport now supports audio along with video. You have the option of getting a mini-displayport to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable. The only adapter I am aware of at this point that supports audio is the one that Apple is selling made by Moshi. You can find it here. Do not purchase any other adapter unless it specifically states it supports audio. If you find another one let us know.

With VGA, you will need a mini displayport to VGA adapter. monoprice will once again save you $10 from the Apple adapter. For the audio you'll need the cable shown on page 17.

barktus:

Wow, the owner's manual Sony provides for ya'll bites the bullet compared to the ones we get over here. They must have had complaints because they had a new one they just put up in June.

Anyway, best I can advise for you using HDMI is to make sure you are using HDMI # 1. That is the only HDMI port they are showing that is compatible with the separate audio port for HDMI and it's possible that is the only HDMI port that will pass the correct EDID info to the computer.

Make sure you try all the troubleshooting steps in post 2, item 1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hehe Bobtomay, man you've been hard at work since you started this thread.....Much credit to you indeed!
You are a good man taking so much time helping all these people out with so much detailed info, free of charge.
Loads of good karma your way, and love your work :)

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, need to spend more time updating the troubleshooting part at the beginning - just need time... and the motivation. ;D

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And we have a lot of great members here providing plenty of free help on subjects I can't even begin to talk about intelligently. We all just do what we can. Hats off to all!!!

Reaction score
connection of an older macbook to a new panasonic tv

Hi--

I have a 2007 Macbook 2.1, the basic model.

I want to connect it to a new Panasonic TV, Model TC-L26X1. The manual is at:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCL26X1.pdf

I want to connect it primarily to use run Itunes through the TV, and if it's not too complicated, to watch movies.

I'm fine with the sound coming through the TV.

Thanks for any assistance!

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
avitulli

With that TV, I would recommend you use VGA instead of HDMI.
You'll need a mini-DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA cable. It will naturally plug into the PC port.
For audio you need a stereo mini-plug to RCA cable - plug it into the L-R ports of the Video 1 connections.
In Display preferences, you'll want to set the resolution for the TV at 1366x768.

Reaction score
Sound issues iMac to television

Sorry if I am posting incorrectly, I'm new here and have not figured out posting questions, and don't find anything about my specific problem when searching. Here goes...
I have my new iMac hooked to my television via mini display port with hdmi adapter, and an optical audio cable from the minijack port. These are connected to a Bose receiver. For some reason, sometimes the sound will not work. I am usually watching things from itunes, avi files, or videos from internet sites such as NBC, etc. Sometimes it works right off the bat, but other times, no matter how much I mess with it, the sound will not work. Occasionally changing the sound settings (built in digital out, to built in hdmi out) will kick it in, but it is not consistent at all. Usually I have to quit and restart my player (vlc, itiunes, and quicktime are the ones I use the most), turn the receiver off and on, mess with the settings, and eventually it works, though never from the same attempted solution. Help?

Reaction score
Mini DisplayPort To HDMI Converter w/Audio

Great work on all this. I wish I had seen this while hooking up my Dec 2009 15" MBP to my 3 yr. old Samsung Home Theater (HTX-120?).

Ended up getting it sorted with a converter to HDMI that utilized the audio, video, and USB port to output to HDMI. Works great and came from Dr. Bott.

But I am posting just to let you know that we found this Griffin converter for the neighbor's 2010 13" MBP. It handles both video and audio (to HDMI) to her new Samsung LCD TV. For some reason, the packaging that it comes in does not mention that it handles audio. But it works well. When selecting the "audio output" on the Mac, it gave Samsung as an option.

Thanks for all your effort on this subject Bob.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AngieLee1:

Need more info: I am having to make too many "assumptions".
Your iMac is the current model Apple is selling?
The HDMI cable is attached to the TV or the Bose receiver?
The optical cable is attached to the Bose receiver?
What is the model number of the Bose receiver you have?
I also need to know which specific MDP to HDMI adapter you purchased - a link to it would be best.

Inflatableman:

The Dr. Bott model is a little expensive at $70 - sort of like buying Monster cables...for any one else wanting to combine the audio and video into the HDMI for the older Macs - it's only $37 at monoprice.com.

The Griffin adapter is nice though since it supports audio through the newer Mac MDP ports. That's only the 2nd one I've seen on the market so far. Nice find and a nice looking adapter.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have added a couple of links to the bottom of the first post.

Have also added an entirely new post # 3.

If a few of ya'll could check it out... let me know if it's easy enough to follow and/or what might need to be added to enable folks to help themselves. Please PM with suggestions so we don't clog up the forum.

Thanks

PS - besides a listing of the various adapters and cables in one place - this should be coming soon.

Reaction score
Hi, new forum member here. This thread looks exactly like the one I've been looking for.

1. What Mac do you have? Personally, I prefer to have the year, model and processor speed. Example: 2008 iMac 2.8, 2006 Mac Mini 2.0, or 2009 MBP 2.6.

2010 MBP 2.4 (My first foray into the Mac side after years of PC-using). :D

2. What TV do you have? This means make and model #. (A web link to your owners manual would be very helpful.)
No, providing the ports you have on the TV will not allow us to provide a "definitive and specific" recommendation.

It's an older model without any HDMI inputs.

Sony KD-34XBR2

Manual at this site.

(No, providing the ports will not provide the required information for a correct assessment.)

3. Where do you want the sound? On the TV, a stereo, a 5.1 A/V receiver? If you want it someplace other than the TV, you'll need to provide the make and model of that piece of equipment also.

I'd like it through the TV, please.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.