Connecting your Mac to your TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB, 320 GB, OSX 10.7.3; TC - 500 GB; iPhone 4S; iPod Nano
I'm thinking of purchasing the 23" Vizio 1080p (VM230XVT) as an external monitor to my MB Pro. Does anyone have some experience with this device? What are your thoughts?

BTW - it's on sale on costco.com for just $199!

Reaction score
I want to hook a PS3 and my mac to the Monitor in the link below. Obviously the PS3 will take up the HDMI slot. Can I use any of the other slots to hook up the Mac without reducing any quality? The only slots available after the 1 HDMI, is the 1 DVI, the 1 D-Sub, and the 1 DisplayPort.

1. What Mac do you have? Personally, I prefer to have the year, model and processor speed. Example: 2008 iMac 2.8, 2006 Mac Mini 2.0, or 2009 MBP 2.6.

2010 Macbook Pro, 2.8 ghz.

2. What TV do you have? This means make and model #. A web link to your owners manual would be very helpful.

Newegg.com - ASUS VE276Q Black 27" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor w/Display Port & Speakers 300 cd/m2 100,000 :1 (ASCR)
Providing the ports you have on the TV will only allow for a "best guess", it would not allow us to provide a "definitive and specific" recommendation.

(If you just can't figure out what model you have, you may provide the name of every input port on the back of the TV and we can make a best guess. You should provide the name as they are labeled on the set or post a pic where those labels show up good enough to be read.)

1 HDMI
1 DVI
1 D-Sub
1 DisplayPort

3. Where do you want the sound? On the TV, a stereo, a 5.1 A/V receiver? If you want it someplace other than the TV, you'll need to provide the make and model of that piece of equipment also.

I want the sound on the TV.

Please help, thanks!

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
macnoob38:

Two valid options

1a. mini display port cable
and
displayport (male) to mini displayport adapter (female) - this one attaches to the monitor

1b. mini displayport (male) to displayport (female) adapter - this one connects to your Mac
and
displayport cable

2. mini displayport to DVI adapter
and
DVI cable

should be able to find all the above at newegg, monoprice or Amazon

monitor ships with audio cable

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That should work for video.

Have no idea at this point whther you will get audio or not without using the separate audio cable. Everything related to displayport is still too new and none of it has been implemented properly. Neither the cable you're looking at, nor the monitor itself, mention anything about audio.

At this point, my best guess is that the displayport on the monitor does not support audio. The owner's manual specifically states the HDMI port supports audio and no mention at all of this related to it's displayport.

Reaction score
hook up a macbook to an old tube

1. What Mac do you have? Personally, I prefer to have the year, model and processor speed. Example: 2008 iMac 2.8, 2006 Mac Mini 2.0, or 2009 MBP 2.6.

I have a 2006 macbook 2.0

2. What TV do you have? This means make and model #. A web link to your owners manual would be very helpful.

I have a Hitachi 50UX52B. Here's the manual: Hitachi 50UX52B User's Guide

Providing the ports you have on the TV will only allow for a "best guess", it would not allow us to provide a "definitive and specific" recommendation.

(If you just can't figure out what model you have, you may provide the name of every input port on the back of the TV and we can make a best guess. You should provide the name as they are labeled on the set or post a pic where those labels show up good enough to be read.)

3. Where do you want the sound? On the TV, a stereo, a 5.1 A/V receiver? If you want it someplace other than the TV, you'll need to provide the make and model of that piece of equipment also.

I'd like to send the audio to the TV as well, which i figure I can do with the headphone jack and a Y composite to 3.5mm cable.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
freddo63:

You will need what Apple called a mini-DVI to Video adapter - link - provides both, a composite (the yellow cable) and a S-Video port. You "might" find one cheaper at amazon.

You would be correct with the audio.

You'll likely not like anything on the big screen except movies.

Reaction score
That should work for video.

Have no idea at this point whther you will get audio or not without using the separate audio cable. Everything related to displayport is still too new and none of it has been implemented properly. Neither the cable you're looking at, nor the monitor itself, mention anything about audio.

At this point, my best guess is that the displayport on the monitor does not support audio. The owner's manual specifically states the HDMI port supports audio and no mention at all of this related to it's displayport.

is there a way to use a separate audio cable with this monitor and mac?

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is there a way to use a separate audio cable with this monitor and mac?

Sorry????

I really don't know what to say except to suggest you read the two posts I've already made.

Reaction score
Oh, i forgot to mention, i have a mini-DVI to VGA adapter so i can hook up a monitor to my Macbook. I'd like to use that, so that I can hook up PC laptops with VGA ports to my TV as well. Where could I get an adapter that would do VGA to composite? and I use one or the other when it comes to the S-video or composite? I will mainly be using my big screen for slideshows (pictures). Also, do i have to worry about whether or not my macbook puts out an analog signal?

EDIT: I've looked up VGA to video adapters on Amazon before, and they all say that I need a video card that has TV-Out capabilities, so I guess that's my main concern now. Here's a link to one adapter that says that.

Thanks a bunch!!:D

freddo63:

You will need what Apple called a mini-DVI to Video adapter - link - provides both, a composite (the yellow cable) and a S-Video port. You "might" find one cheaper at amazon.

You would be correct with the audio.

You'll likely not like anything on the big screen except movies.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, i forgot to mention, i have a mini-DVI to VGA adapter so i can hook up a monitor to my Macbook. I'd like to use that, so that I can hook up PC laptops with VGA ports to my TV as well. Where could I get an adapter that would do VGA to composite? and I use one or the other when it comes to the S-video or composite? I will mainly be using my big screen for slideshows (pictures). Also, do i have to worry about whether or not my macbook puts out an analog signal?

EDIT: I've looked up VGA to video adapters on Amazon before, and they all say that I need a video card that has TV-Out capabilities, so I guess that's my main concern now. Here's a link to one adapter that says that.

Thanks a bunch!!:D

They are quite correct. You cannot go from VGA to composite or S-Video unless the card supports it. Those were primarily ATI All-in-Wonder cards. I wouldn't even try it in your case and have no clue as to whether it will work - my best guess, it wouldn't.

General principal - always use the fewest number of adapters/cables. The more connections, the more chances of a problem being introduced and the harder it is to troubleshoot.

I (almost) never recommend multiple adapters. You need an adapter at this point. Have to recommend you just get the one that plugs directly into your machine, not into another adapter. I'm not into "attempting" saving $10 that badly.

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone can help or if it's just "one of those TV's"

I have a 2010 MBP 2.66, I am using a Moshi adapter to connect to a Toshiba 26" LED TV 26SL400U via an HDMI cable

There's no direct link to the Manual but Toshiba has manual selector web page User Manual Even though it is an LED TV it is still under LCD and that is how it's referred to in the manual as well.

I have confirmed that the adapter and cable are working. I get a blue flash on the MBP screen when everything is connected, a no video signal message on the TV and then in around 4-5 minutes another blue flash on the MBP screen when the TV shuts off. I have tried turning the TV on before the laptop as well as after the laptop has booted up. I have connected all the cable before turning anything on as well as having everything turned on then connecting the cables. All in all I am at a loss, is it "one of those TVs"?

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I had a display port to DVI adaptor, would I get audio?

You will if you have the audio cable plugged into that monitor.

And just to be clear here for future readers - "display port" can refer to any video port, e.g., DVI, HDMI, displayport, VGA, etc.

Please see my first response above for the adapter you will need for DVI and the note pertaining to the audio cable.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
theOtherTrev:

Direct from the Toshiba manual:
• Some PC models cannot be connected to this TV.

A couple of things I would try:
On your Mac, head into Displays preferences and put a check in the Mirror displays option in the Appearance tab to start with
On the TV, head into the Picture settings - Mode - select PC

Reaction score
Thanks bobtomay. I now believe that quote is truer than I originally thought. I did look into displays and I saw no appearance tab, would that be something that only pops up when a second display is present? If that is the case then definitely there is a lack of communication between the TV and my laptop. I did change the mode for the picture settings and there was no difference. I think I will attempt with the DVI input and see what happens and if that goes poorly then I need to bring my laptop with me next time I buy a TV.

EEZ

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to connect my macbook pro to an lg hdtv and want to make sure I know what cables to use before buying them.

2009 Macbook Pro 2.66 (mini displayport). Would buying a mini displayport to HDMI adapter, and then using an HDMI cable of appropriate length suffice?

LG 42LD520

3. Where do you want the sound? On the TV, a stereo, a 5.1 A/V receiver? If you want it someplace other than the TV, you'll need to provide the make and model of that piece of equipment also.'

To have sound on the TV, would I just need a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable?

Thanks so much!

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EEZ:

Your MBP does not output audio through the mdp. With that TV, I would get the mdp to HDMI adapter (instead of a mdp to HDMI cable) and then make sure you get a HDMI cable that is called "High Speed" HDMI. Doesn't have to be an expensive one though.

For audio, you'll need a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug cable - not the RCA they're showing in the picture in the manual with adapters.

Says you can use either of the 2 HDMI ports on the TV.

20101216-nc4dupw7c3un5cfhma76dq32t.jpg

Reaction score
2006 MacBook to LG LCD TV

I've been reading through this sticky and other posts about connecting Macs to a HDTV, but unfortunately I find myself getting more confused than I was to start out with. I'm hoping perhaps you'd provide me with some guidance.

I have:
Late 2006 MacBook 2.0 and an LG 42lg50 (user manual (LG 42LG50 LCD HDTV User Manual)).

I know I have a mini-DVI port...so I'm assuming I need a mini-DVI to VGA + a VGA cable + a sound cable. Am I assuming correctly? Is there any way at all to use an HDMI cable I already have?

It seems like a helluva lot of headache just to be able to watch Netflix streamed on my computer on a bigger screen...

Anyways, thank you. I am in awe of your computer/technology knowledge.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sylvia:

Two options available - I would personally go with the 2nd.

1: mini-DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA cable

2: mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and a high speed HDMI cable

both of the above: require a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug for the audio connection

20101226-rbmwqum8ma5px1hcpa178gitpf.jpg

Amazon can also be a good place to purchase these items inexpensively.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.