Connecting your Mac to your TV

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Could be, but I doubt it. Have connected to several and have seen very few issues connecting to any Sony. Think I'd start off using HDMI #4 since that's the one that will work with separate audio.

Does the plug fit tight in the port or will it wiggle?
With it connected, turn everything off - turn on the TV first, then boot the computer.

(If you have that Russian set, what are those two connectors labeled as AV?)

Reaction score
Does the plug fit tight in the port or will it wiggle?
With it connected, turn everything off - turn on the TV first, then boot the computer.

(If you have that Russian set, what are those two connectors labeled as AV?)

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Still no sign of life unfortunately. I'm starting to think that it's a problem with the cable... it's a cheap one and the build quality may not be up to par.

I don't have a Russian set, but for some reason Sony has decided that Russian and Slovenian manuals are enough to cover all countries in Europe :Confused: But that's how Sony is over here... you go to your local Sony website and they give you content in a foreign language ;)

Anyway, to answer your question, the connectors marked as AV are the old European SCART connectors, which you guys on the other side of the pond never had. It's slowly being replaced by HDMI, but I guess some people still use SCART to connect their older A/V equipment to the television.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That'd be my next guess, even though it's working on one TV. These types of issues are why I started making sure I had 2 of any sort of cable or adapter I needed in the house many years ago. Makes it real hard to troubleshoot and tie down a problem without them. And connecting a computer to a TV can be a lot more persnickety than any of the other electronics we use.

Reaction score
So I have everything working now, and it looks pretty good. The problem I am having is once I disconnected the macbook from the tv the display is dim on the macbook? I have the brightness turned all the way up and still isn't very bright. Is there something I need to do in the settings to fix this? Thanks

Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
aaron427:

Almost everything you want to know about your Mac is here.

Your Mac has a mini-DVI port. I would suggest HDMI instead of VGA with that TV.

Video - You'll need a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable.

Audio - You need to decide where you want your audio. If it's up to me, it's going to my surround sound and not to the TV.
Connecting to your receiver, about 95% odds, you need a mini plug to RCA cable - you need to verify this.
Connecting to the TV you need a mini plug cable - not one of the first 3 that say "Two 3.5mm".

Reaction score
Ugh !!!!

So I'm at my wits end here.

I have a new 2010 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB memory.

My TV is a Mitsubishi 65837 and using a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI cable - all in one, no adapter

The link for the TV and manual is

Mitsubishi WD-65837 Manuals, Support and Troubleshooting - TVs

I'll preface this by saying the cable works fine on the same MAC to a Toshiba TV as well as a Dell monitor so the issue does not seem to be with the cable or MAC but the TV. From reading through it seems the TV is not providing an EDID. I have tried all HDMI ports, set them at various times as PC, Blu Ray, and just standard devices - all with the same result. Blue screen and no info being read from the MAC. I even downloaded a program that allows me to modify the configuration of the profiles (SwitchResX) and was able to set to some of the settings the TV should understand - and confirmed it was sending that a part of the profile through System Profiler. I have an RMA number to send the cable back but before I do so I wanted to climb the mountain to ask for any last minute guidance from the great and knowledgable Bobtomay :Blushing:

I have tried all suggestions in this thread including the above as well as powering off and on TV, the MAC in different order, unplugging / reconnecting the cable, detecting displays etc. Any thoughts on anything I could have missed or does anyone have experience connecting a 2010 MBP to a Mits DLP TV ?

If not any suggestions or thoughts for other options, what would I need if I don't want to connect via digital, what about through a standard RCA video type connection, what adapter or cable would I need for that to connect via the Minidisplay port ?

Appreciate any assistance or thoughts.

Regards

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well' I just doubt it's going to have anything to do with the cable - unless you're returning it because you got it just to connect to that particular TV.

It sounds like you've done everything I would have tried.
Am assuning from what you've said the TV does give you the 'New Device Found' screen.
I'd say try the PC option again, since the manual says you have to use that for it to interpret the signal properly, but it sounds like you've probably already tried it several times.

Only thing I can think of you haven't mentioned is to try both mirrored and extended modes if you haven't.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have tried 'Mirror', Extended, Gather Windows etc, without any success.

I'll give it one more try later when I power the TV on but not expecting any success. And yes the reason I am returning the cable was that it was purchased to connect the MBP to this TV. I only tried the others for troubleshooting purposes. Assuming no luck I saw a Mini-DisplayPort to DVI with an associated DVi-RGB cable, I was thinking of purchasing that, eliminating the entire digital option in this - in regards to the TV input. Any thoughts that this may not work, that I could have the same issue, I wouldn't think so with the RCA jacks but never done much with DVI. Attached below is the cable I was thinking of, if you or anyone has other recommendations for another option let me know.

Thanks again for the assistance and reply.

Amazon.com: GTMax Mini DisplayPort Male to DVI-D Female Adapter + 10ft 3-RCA Component RGB to DVI - I Gold Plated Cable M/M: Electronics

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, No, No. Don't buy that.

It'll be a waste of money. This is one of those, what I call, scammer listings. They either have no clue, or they are hoping most people won't bother returning them and they'll get to keep the money.

The DVI-I will not even fit into the DVI-D on the adapter. And even if it would, it wouldn't convert the digital signal into an analog signal without a converter between the two of them. Not to mention that as far as I am aware, the DVI-I to rgb won't work on anything except a few ATI video cards that output rgb through their DVI port and it was pretty limited to a couple of their All-In-Wonder cards. DVI and rgb are inherently non-compatible.

Need to have my coffee first this morning and then I'll do a little more research on your TV and will post back in relation to your other options...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Macbook to Sanyo 32" TV

I am just simply connecting my MB(specs below) to my 32" Sanyo DP32648 TV. Obviously since my MB has mini-DVI, I'm just using the Apple mini-DVI to VGA adapter. All is working just fine. I just have a question about resolutions and possibly disabling the display in the MB itself. Everyone knows the MB has a native resolution of 1280x800, my TV has a native resolution of 1366x768. This is the first time I've tried this with any Mac notebook (or running dual displays on a Mac whatsoever) so this is totally new to me.

In Display Preferences, it says my TV is set to my native resolution but the usable resolution is 1280x768. It is obvious, because there are black bars on each side of the TV sceen(I guess to keep it from stretching). It also says my MB display is set to its native resolution, but 1280x768 usable. That causes black bars on the top and bottom of the MB display like watching a widescreen movie.

I am using the TV as my main display, so obviously I'm mirroring the displays. I would like to eliminate the black bars and use my native resolution, even if it means disabling the MB display all together. Is there anyway to do this? If I could set it so my TV was my main display and my MB was my secondary that would be fine as well, but as far as I can see I can only change the arrangement of the displays. When I don't have them mirrored, the black bars on each display go away. This was simple as 123 on my PC with no stretching or black bars. I want all of my screen space; the bars are pretty annoying. :/

EDIT: I found I can close the lid and still wake the computer. I can now use my TV as my main display at its native resolution, no black bars or stretching. This will work for now, but is there still a way to disable the MB display with the lid open? IE: to still use the iSight?

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fillysports:

Some things I'd try before even thinking about trying analog since there is no VGA on the TV. Connect the computer, but turn it off.

1. See pg 69 of the manual and make sure that CEC is turned off on the HDMI port you're using.

2. Also follow the instructions right below that to delete the device from that port.

3. Go ahead and try an A/V memory reset for that port. While viewing the input to reset, press MENU and go to Adjust > Reset - Press ENTER to highlight the Reset icon - Press ENTER again to reset.

Now boot the computer - let's keep fingers crossed you'll get the Found New Device menu can select PC and it works. If not:

Your only option is composite or component on that TV. Personally, wouldn't even bother spending the $40-50 it'll take to get to a composite input. But, you can read post #7 & 15 to find out how to do it.

To get to component, about the best route is going to be using one of the HDFury adapters. Here's their web site. The HDFury II is the one you'll want. The mdp to HDMI adapter will connect to the HDFury II and then in turn to your component inputs. It's going to run you $150 from either Amazon or monoprice. I have not used any of the HDFury adapters, but they typically garner excellent reviews even from end users.

iBeldar:

Nope, sorry - no way to turn off the built-in display except by using clamshell mode.

Reaction score
Good suggestions, I just tried them and unfortunately same results. The MAC does detect something but only when I click Detect Displays, it never detects the TV by pluggin in the cable like it does for the Dell Monitor and Toshiba TV.

My need for connecting was more for entertainment purposes nothing real serious so don't want to spend the $150 for the HDFury. As I have a PS3 have found a few programs that will allow me to stream some the items I wanted as well as the MAC for Music and iPhotos so I might go that route. I did see one HDMI - Component converter box for $49, I might check with them and if there is no restocking fee I may try that, seems it will work although from reviews it not great for HD but that is something I don't really need. If no restocking it might be worth the $5.00 shipping risk, we'll see. If I do and it works, I'll post here so others may know of another 'lower cost' option.

Again appreciate all your time and assistance with this. It is really good of you to spend your time helping out not only myself but the many others here. Shame we couldn't get a solution, but appreciate the efforts.

Regards

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fillysports

One other option you can try - DVI Doctor - This device would be plugged in to power, then use a DVI to HDMI cable to the TV. It reads and stores the EDID info. You then unplug it from power, plug it into your Mac with a MDP to DVI. Quite a few reports from Mac owners there reporting success with this.

The main downside here, it is not HDCP compliant. So, likely not going to play any of the iTunes HD content. Not really sure if it would affect their SD content and don't think I have a switch or monitor left in the houses that is not HDCP in order to try it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up, I looked at the DVI Doctor quickly - it looks pretty good, my only concern is since I don't have any DVI cables, I'll need to buy them also. I keep looking back to the HDMI - Component converter box I saw for about $50.00, since I can use the cable I have plus already have the others. We'll see, again it is more for entertainment purposes I'm finding some other means to accomplish some of what I want - using my PS3 as a media Center with for both my MAC for pictures, movies and music and even PlayOn which looks pretty slick - running that now in trial mode, between the 2 I can do probably all I needed and won't even need to connect the MAC but we'll see.

I'll look more into the DVI Doctor, looks like a good option.

Thanks again

Regards

Reaction score
no signal on Sony Bravia KDL32BX400

Dear All,
since several days I´m searching for information to get a solution for my problem. I´m in a good mood to find help here!

I have a Mac Book Mac OSx Version 10.5.8, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I´m not sure when I bought this, I think this is the first with aluminium case. A few weeks ago I bought a Sony Bavaria KDL32BX400 (link to manual) and want to connect my macbook to the LCD-TV.

I have a display miniport to hdmi adapter. When i choose the correct hdmi connection port (I tried all) the display of my mac gets nearly a second blue screen (same as I know from my cinema display) but no additional monitor is listed.

I checked my cable (hdmi to hdmi) and the adapter (mdp to hdmi) at a panasonic TV of a friend and it works (with my macbook). He also checked his mac book with my hdmi cable and his adapter (he has an older white macbook) with my tv and it works. Very strange!!! Please help me, I have already read so many posts in so many chats and I have no idea what to do. Maybe my mac gives out the wrong resolution? just a assumption...

I´m from Germany so please ignore my bad Englisch!

Thanks a lot !!
Matti

one additional information I can give are the dates below: (i got them from switchResX, i assume they are from my LCD Display of my MacBook, maybe there are important)

DDC block report generated by SwitchResX version 3.8.6 for display
Color LCD

-----------------------------------------------------
------------------- RAW DATA ------------------------
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
0 | 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 06 10 8C 9C 01 01 01 01
1 | 05 12 01 03 80 1D 12 78 0A 50 85 98 58 52 8E 26
2 | 25 50 54 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
3 | 01 01 01 01 01 01 52 1C 00 8F 50 20 2E 30 30 20
4 | 36 00 1E B3 10 00 00 18 00 00 00 01 00 06 10 20
5 | 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 20 00 00 00 FE 00 42
6 | 31 33 33 45 57 30 34 20 56 30 0A 20 00 00 00 FE
7 | 00 43 6F 6C 6F 72 20 4C 43 44 0A 20 20 20 00 28

< 00FFFFFF FFFFFF00 06108C9C 01010101 05120103 801D1278 0A508598 58528E26 25505400 00000101 01010101 01010101 01010101 0101521C 008F5020 2E303020 36001EB3 10000018 00000001 00061020 00000000 00000000 0A200000 00FE0042 31333345 57303420 56300A20 000000FE 00436F6C 6F72204C 43440A20 20200028 >

Valid EDID block: checksum passed

------------------- MAIN EDID BLOCK -----------------

EDID Version........1.3
Manufacturer........APP
Product Code........35996 (8C9C) (9C8C)
Serial Number.......01010101

Manufactured........Week 5 of year 2008
Max H Size..........29 cm
Max V Size..........18 cm
Gamma...............2,20

Display Supported Features:
---------------------------

Display type:
-------------
RGB 4:4:4 & YCrCb 4:4:4 Color Encoding Formats
Display is non continuous frequency
Default color space is not sRGB standard
Preferred timing mode includes Native Pixel Format

Input signal & sync:
--------------------
Digital Input
Color Bit Depth is undefined
Digital Interface is not defined

Color info:
-----------
Red x = 0,595 Green x = 0,320 Blue x = 0,150 White x = 0,313
Red y = 0,345 Green y = 0,555 Blue y = 0,145 White y = 0,329

Established Timings:
--------------------

Manufacturer Reserved Timings:
------------------------------

Standard Timing Identification:
-------------------------------

Monitor Description blocks:
---------------------------
Descriptor #0 is Timing definition:
Mode = 1280 x 800 @ 60,223Hz
Pixel Clock............. 72,50 MHz Non-Interlaced

Horizontal Vertical
Active.................. 1280 pixels 800 lines
Front Porch............. 48 pixels 3 lines
Sync Width.............. 32 pixels 6 lines
Back Porch.............. 63 pixels 37 lines
Blanking................ 143 pixels 46 lines
Total................... 1423 pixels 846 lines
Scan Rate............... 50,949 kHz 60,223 Hz

Image Size.............. 286 mm 179 mm
Border.................. 0 pixels 0 lines

Sync: Digital separate with
* Negative vertical polarity
* Negative horizontal polarity

Descriptor #1 is Manufacturer specific data (not interpreted here)

Descriptor #2 is ASCII data:
B133EW04 V0

Descriptor #3 is ASCII data:
Color LCD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26ghz 4GB, iPod nano 1st & 3rd gen., iPod touch 2nd gen.
hello,

i have a 2009 Macbook pro 2.26ghz intel core duo 2gb 1067 mhz

i have an emerson 22 inch Model No. LC220EM1
idk how to find the owners manual sorry :(

sound? my tv has a headphone jack on the side that i currently have speakers on so im sure if i get a cable for that i could plug my MBP to it.

now i have two main questions. i have a VGA adapter n cable for my mac n connects to my tv pretty good... But i want an HDMI. i borrowed my friends adapter n HDMI cable to try it out before i buy it myself to see if it was worth it.. but.. the screen is coming out either tooo big (720p) or tooo small.. i have tried messing with the zoom wide blah blah blah on my tv but it still doesnt fill the screen perfectly :( i dont know whats wrong!!

i have also connected it to a sharp 32 inch i think (dont know model it isnt mine) and same things happen! i put it on 1080p n BAM too big, turn off overscan BAM too small..it seems lik it gets the height right but not width.. maybe my mac sucks n i have bad luck with tv's?

help:( thanks!!

Screen shot of desktop.png

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
andresr:

You want HDMI for exactly what reason on a 22" screen? Because someone told you it was better?

Suggest you read post #2 in this thread. I also suggest you stick with what you already have working.

Reaction score
Not Working

I'm trying to connect my macbook pro 13" of this year 2,53GHz to an LG 32LH3000 ZA TV, and I'd like to have the sound come from my TV. When I connect them (mini display port to HDMI adaptor + HDMI cable) the TV recognizes that there's something connected to the HDMI entrance, but says "no signal". On my macbook pro, when I go to system settings, and then monitors, I only have the "monitor" and "color" labels, there isn't the third one that you talked about in this thread. I'm waiting for my sister to bring her laptop over sometime next week to try it and see if it's the cables (I bought both on ebay and came from china - I know, what a cheap ***...). But let's assume it's not, so that I can try everything else before buying better (and more expensive) cables. What can I do?

Tank you!

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
duartepimentel:

See post #2.

Can't add much more to that without some feedback on what you've done and the results.

Reaction score
Hello bobtomay, I believe you may be the only out there who can help me. I posted this in the regular Macbook forum before I found this thread. I'm new to this thing so my apologies if this is wrong. Here's my issue:

I am trying to hook up my MacBook to my HD/HDMI TV. Here's some info on my systems:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100
Type: Display
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 144 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x2a02
Revision ID: 0x0003
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

My MacBook is the original white one, I believe I bought it sometime in '08 maybe early '09. It has a Mini-DVI port. My TV is an odd brand but it does have both a VGA and HDMI input in the back. It is a 26" Mintek LCD HDTV with Built-In DVD player DTV-323-D. I am unable to find the manual online except for the 32" version. It is a very odd brand, I'm aware.

I originally purchased a mini-DVI - HDMI adaptor.

Plus an HDMI cable to connect to the HDMI input in the back of my TV.

I also purchased an RCA cable to deal with the audio, I realize I bought the wrong one though actually (3.5 RCA when my TV actually uses a headphone jack with both the VGA and HDMI inputs). I don't think I have an issue there.

However, when I hooked up all of these cords, my MacBook does not recognize that there is a connection. When I hit "detect displays" nothing happens. If I turn my tv off however with these cables connected, my MacBook flashes to a blue screen for a brief moment and then back to it's normal monitor (with my wallpaper gone, back to the original OS wallpaper).

I've done hours of research on this (including reading this entire thread) and I've seen on some threads things about issues with analog outputs, or this not working on my version of my MacBook... Any clue what's going on??? I'm SO frustrated with this.

Now I'm confused as to if my Macbook is not compatible with HDMI. I've been reading about purchasing a mini-DVI to a DVI-D and then DVI to HDMI... thoughts? I was thinking of trying my VGA input instead, but maybe this would be my best bet? Please help! Sorry for the long entry but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thank you in advanced!

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kee2987:

It sounds to me like you're doing everything right. Can't find a Mintek manual, since they went under back in '07.

(Warning to anyone thinking of buying a Mintek TV or DVD player, those new units have been sitting on someone's shelf for 3 years now.)

My guess is the TV is not passing any EDID info along letting the computer know there is anything connected. I wouldn't advise wasting your money switching adapters. What you have should work if it's going to work with that TV.

What I would suggest is trying another TV, especially if you can find one a friend is already connecting their computer to... just to make sure you haven't gotten hold of a bad adapter or cable.

If it works on another TV, then I'd give up on HDMI and just move to VGA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.