Connecting your Mac to your TV

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks for the screen shot, appreciate it - don't have one of the new Macs myself so hadn't seen that section. Now I've got another place for folks to confirm their Mac supports audio via the mdp.

Before trying them, make sure you've got all the OS X updates via Software Update.
I've not seen enough reports to know if there is a bug related to this or not, so make sure your system is up to date. Don't think there is since the iMacs with audio capability have been out since last Oct.

Things I'd try:
1. Disconnect and reconnect adapter and cable and try different HDMI port on the TV.
2. Open the menu on the TV - some TVs have a setting for the audio portion of each HDMI port that allows it to be changed between digital and analog (ex. Panasonic- not really sure of the typical settings for Vizio - this should not be the cause, but I'd at least look)
3. Try it on another TV.
4. Go visit your local Apple store with adapter and cable in hand. Might call and make appointment first. Some of the Apple stores are carrying that adapter and if you bought it from Apple, you may be able to exchange it right there if it is the adapter malfunctioning.
5. Since you're within the 3 month free phone help on your warranty, if I had time, I'd probably give Apple a call with the knowledge I have the proper adapter, especially if I bought it from them.
6. Send the adapter back as non-functioning and get another - I have a list of 4 adapters in post #4 that have all been verified to work.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice

Yeah, I think that the next stop is Apple Care phone support. I'll be sure to post if I am able to figure out the issue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
TomTom:

Sorry, could have saved you a few bucks if you'd been willing to wait a few hours. Amazon has a working adapter under $10 when you know which one to get. It's sort of hidden within another "connect your Mac to your TV thread", so I'll get some links up in the adapter portion of this thread. You shouldn't have any problems with the Moshi adapter though, and it's likely to be a little better quality also, so no worry.

The Griffin adapter came out prior to Apple supporting audio through mdp. At the time the description went up on Apple it did not support audio because no Mac supported audio. It did meet the spec required for audio though and will work with the new Macs. The description on the Apple site just has never been modified. And, I don't think that even Griffin was aware that their adapter carried audio for some months after the new Macs started shipping because there was no word on any adapter supporting audio (incl'g from Griffin) for several months after the first iMacs that supported audio shipped.

edit:
I have added the listing in Post # 4 of the mdp adapters that carry audio.
Yea, I own a few other Moshi products so it was a pretty easy decision.
They make some very nice quality parts and from what I read this adapter continues to display that.

Awesome idea on putting the adapters in the post. This thread is full of win! Thank you very much for taking the time and doing all of this!

Reaction score
Just make sure any adapter you get states it will pass audio of have user reviews stating it works. If it doesn't say it, it doesn't.

The one I linked to there at Amazon is the cheapest I've seen. There are 3 other adapters I've found - all of them at $30 and up.

I have just gotten home with a new adapter that does also pass audio, replaced my old adapter, turned on my TV, et voila, picture is there. I opened a video using vlc, and no audio came out of the tv speakers. Turned TV up. No sound. Opened the System Preferences and went to Sound, and there were no other devices listed in the Output section, only my built-in speakers.

I left the TV on and connected via HDMI cable, and restarted the computer, but alas, still no audio and no devices listed in Sounds preferences...

I'm stumped. Any other ideas Bobtomay?

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Check page 34 of the manual - Input Labels. Change the label to something else, particularly if you have selected PC. That selection may be what causes the TV to know you want to use the analog audio input instead of HDMI. Thinking I might try the Game selection.

Reboot if that doesn't cause it to auto appear in Sound preferences.

Which adapter did you get?

I am starting to see a very few machines that just have not been able to get the audio via the mdp that should be able to, and in my mind, not due to user error. At this point I am not sure if it is multiple bad adapters, a hardware issue on the Mac or an issue with the individual TV. I have had only a couple reports back so far that the audio works fine on one TV, but not another. Thus, my suspicion is that it has something to do with the EDID being passed to the computer from the TV, and not something that can be solved short of using a separate audio cable.

Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering if I can connect my Macbook Pro to an LG Plasma TV,Asus Monitor, and Vizio TV.

Macbook Pro's info:

Model Name:Macbook Pro
Model Identifier:Macbook Pro 5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:2.26 GHz
Year:2009

Asus Model:Asus ML238H
LG Model:LG Plasma TV 50PC1DR-UA (Manufacured in 2006)
Vizio Model:Vizio VW32L HDTV 10A (August 2007)

Thanks for helping us people out man.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Hey I was just wondering if I can connect my Macbook Pro to an LG Plasma TV,Asus Monitor, and Vizio TV.

Macbook Pro's info:

Model Name:Macbook Pro
Model Identifier:Macbook Pro 5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:2.26 GHz
Year:2009

Asus Model:Asus ML238H
LG Model:LG Plasma TV 50PC1DR-UA (Manufacured in 2006)
Vizio Model:Vizio VW32L HDTV 10A (August 2007)

Thanks for helping us people out man.
Maybe. Find out what connections your Asus, LG and Vizio have, then try reading this same exact thread you posted in.

:)

mrs

Reaction score
Hello,

Trying to figure out the best way to connect my MBP to my LCD TV. Here are the details:

Computer: MBP 2010 unibody 2.4 GHz (with mini displayport)

TV: Norcent LCD LT-2023 (no HDMI input, unfort.; manual here)

After having done some research, I'm pretty sure that one (or maybe the only) option would be to get a a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, along with a VGA male to VGA male cable, but is that all? From what I've understood, audio would be transmitted through the adapter/cable as well given it's the latest MBP I have, is this correct?

BTW, before this 2010 MBP, I had a 15" G4 PowerBook that I was able to hook up with a simple monster cable that made use of the S-Video port (both on the Norcent TV & PB) - I don't suppose there's an easy way for me to recycle (as is in, reuse) this cable with my current setup, is there? If there is, though, would it be preferable to go that route?

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mrs:

Unfortunately no, you won't be able to make use of that monster cable without spending more money than it would cost to move to VGA. Whether you want to use VGA or S-Video, you would have to purchase a mdp to VGA adapter. To use S-Video, you would then need a converter box instead of just a VGA cable. (You can check out post 7 & 15 if you would like to read more on getting your S-Video to work.)

You've got the right idea, but no, the audio will not be transmitted because you are going to VGA. VGA does not support audio. And while the monitor is only 800x600, you should have a little better picture using the VGA instead of S-Video also.

Best guess is that the VGA uses the red & white RCA plugs for audio. If that's it, then you'll need a 3.5mm (mini-plug) to RCA cable for the audio.

grkazan12:

You want the audio on the TVs?

Reaction score
MacBook Pro to JVC

I've got an interesting one for you. My brother and I want to watch the Venture Bros. on our old JVC 32D302 (manual), so we instantly thought, "Hey, let's connect this 2009 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz to this old junker and rock the adultswim. Shouldn't take 10 minutes."

Two weeks later and we've seen no TV-sized Brock Sampsons.

We were attempting to go mini-display port --> VGA --> Sewell video converter --> RCA (converter), but the best we can manage is a scrolling, flickering image of the desktop on the TV (seems to be in black and white as well).

For sound, were were just going to plug in some speakers into the MacBook's 1/8th inch jack.

Can you help us save Brock Sampson?

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shutin:

Personally, I never recommend using a computer connected to a TV via composite or S-Video.

What mdp to vga adapter are you using? If it is Apple's, you need to run software update while everything is connected and the TV is on. Apple had a firmware update for that adapter.

Are you trying composite or S-Video? Try the other. You need to run through all the troubleshooting steps in post 2 item 1, including trying another device with that same input on the TV.

I assume you've tried adjusting the horizontal scroll on the TV?

You also need to try it on another TV. That's the only way you'll find out if you got a bad converter. I also assume the power cable for the adapter is plugged in?

Edit: would also suggest opening up the Display preferences and see if you can try any other settings there.

Reaction score
Hey, So I have a 2010 MacBook Pro that can transmit audio through the mini displayport and I tried hooking it up to my TV(Samsung P2570HD) with this cable Newegg.com - Link Depot MD-HDMI-0.2 Mini Display port to HDMI cable Adapter but I get no audio from the TV. When I go to sound in syspref. all I see is the internal speakers...I did not look at this forum before I ordered my cable or probably would have ordered a different one...but I'm still confused as to why the cable that I got wont work but you say this cable will Amazon.com: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Female Adapter Cable for Apple Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac, Macbook Air, Mac Mini Laptop: Bear Motion...also I was wondering if there is a difference between that cable and this one Amazon.com: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (female) Cable: Bear Motion

Thanks for the help and if you need me to provide any more background info just let me know.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are a lot of these adapters on the market manufactured prior to the introduction of audio over mdp. There was no reason for the manufacturers to support audio, since there were no mdp ports that passed audio.

?? Both adapters you've linked to are the same price, both from Amazon. Don't really care if the other one supports audio at this point and neither should you, unless you have some desire to be the one to experiment with yet another one than one that is already known to work.

Good luck with the Samsung btw.

Reaction score
?? Both adapters you've linked to are the same price, both from Amazon. Don't really care if the other one supports audio at this point and neither should you, unless you have some desire to be the one to experiment with yet another one than one that is already known to work.

Good luck with the Samsung btw.

Wait which one are you talking about...which one is known to have audio...Also what do you mean by good luck...?

Reaction score
mrs:

Unfortunately no, you won't be able to make use of that monster cable without spending more money than it would cost to move to VGA. Whether you want to use VGA or S-Video, you would have to purchase a mdp to VGA adapter. To use S-Video, you would then need a converter box instead of just a VGA cable. (You can check out post 7 & 15 if you would like to read more on getting your S-Video to work.)

You've got the right idea, but no, the audio will not be transmitted because you are going to VGA. VGA does not support audio. And while the monitor is only 800x600, you should have a little better picture using the VGA instead of S-Video also.

Best guess is that the VGA uses the red & white RCA plugs for audio. If that's it, then you'll need a 3.5mm (mini-plug) to RCA cable for the audio.

grkazan12:

You want the audio on the TVs?

Yes I also want to transfer the audio to my television.

mrs

Reaction score
mrs:

First off, thank you so much, bobtomay, for your very rapid & helpful reply! I have to admit that I had a bit of trouble re-finding this forum (yes, I'm a complete n00b) & thus came across your post only now.

Anyway, thank you for clearing up the monster cable business & sound issue for me - bummer that it won't be transmitted by the VGA. I searched my TV high & low for the red & white RCA plugs you mentioned you thought might be present, but in the end the only audio input I could find on it is a single hole (of a light green colour) next to the VGA connector, as I've tried to capture in the photo below (it's the hole to the right of the VGA, in case that's not evident ;]):

2rm9ojt.jpg

Would you by any chance have any idea as to what it is & what sort of cable I might need to get the audio in from my computer to the TV?

Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it! Cheers =]

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mrs:
That should be the same as is on your Mac, a stereo mini-plug (also called a 3.5mm). So, you'll an audio cable like one of these.

ChickenNoodle:
instead of trying to save about $2, think I'd recommend just getting the one that is linked to in post #4.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
grkazan12
Your Mac has a mini displayport and does not pass audio through it, so you'll need a separate audio cable.

You'll need one of these cables to get to HDMI. No matter which of those three you want to connect to, that'll get the video.

Can't help any more than that as neither of those TVs owners manuals are available through the manufacturers websites.

For the audio, you're on your own. You'll need to read through post #3 (and/or any of the multiple specific examples I've already done in this thread) and open up your copy of the owner's manuals to do a little reading.

Reaction score
No image with Sony Bravia KDL-40EX711

1. 2008 MacBook 2.0GHz (Unibody)
2. Sony Bravia KDL-40EX711 (European model)
3. No audio needed

I'm trying to hook up my MacBook to the Sony with a Mini DisplayPort - HDMI cable. So far I have tried all four HDMI ports, played around with the display settings (resolution, mirroring etc), unplugging/plugging the cable at different times etc. but nothing has worked. The TV screen stays black despite it showing up in the MacBook's display settings. The only time the television actually does something is when I use HDMI 3 and 1920 x 1080 as the resolution. The screen flashes blue for a millisecond and "1080p" appears in the left hand corner. But then the screen goes black again...

I can only find a Russian version of the TV's manual and a US spec EX710 manual, which should technically be the same set. I'll attach a picture of the available connections.

According to the TV's i-manual HDMI 4 is for DVI equipped peripherals but like I said, I've tried all of them to no avail. The cable works with an older LG television. Could there be a compatibility problem with the Sony?

Sony KDL-40EX711.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.