Black Macbook 2.4ghz Mem/HD Upgrade?

Reaction score
Hello all. I have one of last model of the Black 2.4Ghz Macbooks they sold in 2008. I am looking to do a modest upgrade to it, namely to the memory and hard drive. Currently it has the stock 2GB of PC-5300 200pin DDR2-SDRAM. It also has the stock 250GB Fujitsu 5400 SATA 1.5Gb/s drive.

I am looking up upgrade to 4GB of RAM and putting in a 320GB 7200RPM drive. As far as I can tell this laptop will support both upgrades, but I am having trouble confirming that and am wondering if anyone can confirm this will work.

I was looking at this for the memory:

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model VS4GSDSKIT667D2

The drive I was looking at was this:

Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive

I am not opposed to a similar model from a different manufac. however I am not able to confirm if the Macbook would support the faster speeds.

Both upgrades total about $160 give or take which is perfectly fine by me. I run the laptop in Windows 7 32 and Snow Lepard 64. The reason for the upgrade is I'd like to switch to the 64 Windows 7 and look into running Parallels. I do not do much in terms of graphic intensive stuff, but at times the system feel sluggish when I am running in OSX. I like this laptop and it has been very reliable and I want to extend the life a bit without having to go for a new laptop.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
To cut a long story short, yes that will work, and your MacBook will support the speeds :)
Before anything, be sure to do some system maintenance to see if you need the upgrade.
Try OnyX and use the automation tab to clean the caches and repair disk permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Goto OWC ~ MacSales and click on the My OWC, put in your Mac specs and then what hardware you want to upgrade and it will provide you with a compatible list.
Oh yea welcome :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I was going to send the OP there, but he got a good price for both. However, I do like the post sales service from OWC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I was going to send the OP there, but he got a good price for both. However, I do like the post sales service from OWC

Yep i so agree. Since harryb sent me there, i couldnt be happier with OWC. Will forever more deal with them into the future .......

OP
B
Reaction score
Funny thing about OWC... I pass it going to work every day. They were actually a client when I worked at a place called mc.net.

This isn't a knock on them personally, I just have never had good luck dealing with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not much I can say about where you worked and the relationship with them, but they have a great rep!

OP
B
Reaction score
Hello all, would like to report that my Macbook took the upgrade very well and has been running Snow Leopard and Win7-64 very nicely since the upgrade. I did a clean install for both and am very happy with the results. I got a nice little enclosure for the old HD and passed the memory on to a friend with a 1GB setup. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to hear.... happt Mac'n :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.