• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Please answer right now!!!

Reaction score
Hello, please answer this. I made a movie for my spanish class, and it is due tomorrow. It is 5 test grades and if I don't export it, I will fail this quarter.

I have iMovie 09 but my teacher and whole school has windows XP.

PLEASE TELL ME HOW DO I EXPORT THE MOVIE SO THAT IT CAN PLAY ON A WINDOWS XP COMPUTER, WHAT DO I DO??????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
You could start by asking nicer. I understand you plight....

What file formats will iMovie export?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try the help files. I found this:

To export your project to the Finder:

Choose Share > Export Movie.
Type a name for the movie in the Export As field, and then choose the location where you want to save it from the Where pop-up menu.
Select the size that best matches what you’ll be using the video for.
Click Export.
To find your exported movie, navigate to the folder that you chose from the Where pop-up menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First, be polite when asking a favor. Your 11th hour request means noting to us and I wouldn't be surprised to here that people ignored your question.

If those school machines have QuickTime, then export as an H.264 QuickTime .mov file. Perhaps my iMovie export guide can help you.

I was able to export a very short file as an AVI, but I don't know if that is due to some add-on I have installed.

Another odd solution is to upload to YouTube and when it completes the conversion, download the result by viewing the file and Safari trick to download it. That will give you a flv file which may be playable in a Windows browser. In fact, when you view your video list, there should be a download button for an MP4 format.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah...when I saw the "Please answer right now!!!" title...I pretty much tuned out anything the OP had to say.

Maybe the "please" in the title was supposed to make the "answer right now" demand ok!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
Lesson #1: Favors are just that.
Lesson #2: You get more bees with honey than vinegar.
Lesson #...I think you get it.

Hopefully you figured it out by now, but your worries were most likely unfounded regardless. Simply because you are exporting on a Mac and your teacher has XP does not mean that they will not be able to open the files. Even if your teacher did not have Quicktime or ITunes installed on their PC, once attempting to open the file they would most likely prompted to download the proper files. Not to mention that iMovie will export in several formats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I passed on it yesterday at 4:00 pm for just those reasons.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
It is also possible that the OP does not speak English as a native language. I have a Facebook friend in Poland that occasionally posts in English. My wife also has a cousin in Mexico City who learned English in school. This post reads like one of theirs. "Right now" as a much more negative connotation than "asap", but someone who learned English as a second language wouldn't necessarily understand the difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It is also possible that the OP does not speak English as a native language.

It's also possible that the OP is from Mars, Jupiter, Uranus, or Alpha Centauri...and is about to turn their mind control device on all of us over the internet!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's also possible that the OP is from Mars, Jupiter, Uranus, or Alpha Centauri...and is about to turn their mind control device on all of us over the internet!;)

- Nick

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

*Picture panicking in the street! :D *

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

- Nick

Actually, the OP is from North Carolina... not that it lends any certainty to he or she being a native English speaker.

Regardless, the thread title and tone is rude. I know I for one have zero interest in helping. A sense of entitlement in others is a pet peeve of mine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.