External HD from a PC to a MAC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
Hey guys.. so I have a nexstar external 2.5" HD that I pulled my files of my PC (windows 7) and stored to put on my macbook pro.

WELL,

I plugged the HD into the mac (running snow leopard) and the light on the HD came on (so it's getting power).. but it doesnt show a drive on the desktop.

I went and plugged it into my PC and the light came on as well but didn't recognize it (didn't pop up)..

what's happening here?

Whether it's plugged into a PC or MAC it runs (I can hear the external HD spinning).. but that's it.

I've used this HD on a mac before as well (running leopard) and it seemed to be fine.

I dont have my laptop running windows 7 around anymore so I can't see if that works or not.

it's just a few pictures but I'd love to have them opposed to hunt through my inbox.

Thanks guys and gals!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A quick explanation might be that the drive died. :( Is it recognized when you use Disk Utility from the Mac or Disk Manager from the PC?

Regards.

Reaction score
2.5" HD's are usually powered directly from the USB port.
For some HD/PC combinations there is insufficient juice to do this (particularly on laptops running off battery). Even if it shows a light it may still not be getting enough power.
If the drive has an external power adapter try that.
Otherwise it is possible to get USB cables with two plugs at the computer end specifically for powering 2.5" HD's suffering from this issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
2.5" HD's are usually powered directly from the USB port.
For some HD/PC combinations there is insufficient juice to do this (particularly on laptops running off battery). Even if it shows a light it may still not be getting enough power.
If the drive has an external power adapter try that.
Otherwise it is possible to get USB cables with two plugs at the computer end specifically for powering 2.5" HD's suffering from this issue.

Not to mention that iMacs have the USB ports on the back - people might get lazy and connect their drives to the keyboard ports which never have enough power.
One USB port on the side would have been nice, Apple. Just saying...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.